Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just put on some red progrip rim tape with the applicator it came with and it was still a pain in the ass. Anyone else agree?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I bought the stuff from tapeworks, no applicator, not pre-bent, nothing. I put the bike up on stands and rotated each wheel while trying to keep the tape as level as possible. It turned out ok but it's definitly not even. I unstuck and reapplied a few areas as I went around but still not great.

Seems like with an applicator you could just held it up, attach and spin, should have been cake.

·
Registered
96 Posts
ouch sorry to hear that . about to do mine tomorrow. got my tape from tapeworks as well and no aplicator was provided

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol believe me that was my impression too, I had my bike on the stands and well...didn't go out too well. Overall now it looks OK/Good IMO but from other people they might beg to differ. lol I just didn't care anymore I just wanted to get the tape on.

·
Registered
108 Posts
also got mine from tapeworks, but had some decent sucsess. just got to have patience and a steady hand. mine looks great in about 90% of the area

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
also got mine from tapeworks, but had some decent sucsess. just got to have patience and a steady hand. mine looks great in about 90% of the area

my front wheel looks decent, but my back...LOL terrible. I need to peel it off and re-do it. The funny thing is I had the back wheel on the rear stand and no stand for the front and the rear came out looking like crap haha. Oh well...

·
Registered
51 Posts
oh no! with all the comments, im having second thoughts on putting rim tapes on my wheels... Because i dnt know if i can put it properly. Now im confused... rim tapes or having it re painted...

·
Registered
159 Posts
do what someone did on here... after cleaning the wheels.. spray some soapy water from a spray bottle onto the rim where you gonna apply the tape.. then while doin that you can slide it around till you can tell its even, then let it dry over night or with a hair dryer...

If you ever tinted windows before.. its the same techinic.... apply soapy water so you can move the tint around.....hope this helps..

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Nice, never heard that soapy water trick...
that stuff really is a PITA to put on. I gave up on mine cuz it wasn't sticking well. Probably just the fact that it was freezing cold in the middle of the winter though... oops

·
Registered
205 Posts
http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=148248

rimtape sucks no matter what guys. The easiest way i've seen done is the guy that used a paint pen. I was at the point where if my last attempt didn't work that was the way i was going. Check the above thread though, I found the black reflective silver tape so its not noticeable unless looking for it. I love it personally, sure its still no where near perfect but its much better this way as no one knows its really there so they can't look for any of the flaws

·
Registered
554 Posts
precurved tape helps
I tried to do mine as perfect as possible, after a couple mistakes, I just gave up.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I bought rim tape a few months ago and I keep putting it off cause I dont wanna deal with the headache of applying it lol.

·
Registered
572 Posts
hey guys i have an applicator if anyone needs to use it just pm me and i can mail it to you al i ask is that you mail it back to me when you are done it does a great job i used it to putrim tape on my rr as well asmy wifes ninja 250. hope i can help someone!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts