Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
Looks Good! I did mine a long time ago, never did any sanding... Not sure why you would?

Jason

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
yeah man..you gotta sand grit to 2000 grit if you want a nice shiny look. keep goin and itll turn out real nice.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
About how long do you sand each grit? A couple minutes? Im doing the back wheel on the stand with the bike in 1st, spinning like a pottery wheel.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I went around about twice. It took me about 2 hours to wetsand both rims completely. THen another 25 minutes to put on a good coat of mothers billet polish.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Arcrist said:
Im doing the back wheel on the stand with the bike in 1st, spinning like a pottery wheel.
could be just me but i dont think that counts as sanding. probably not nearly as effective as the old fashion style. hands and elbow grease

·
Registered
814 Posts
Arcrist said:
About how long do you sand each grit? A couple minutes? Im doing the back wheel on the stand with the bike in 1st, spinning like a pottery wheel.
you're going to lose your finger and maybe your arm.

There's no need to sand. Use aircraft stripper to take the finish off then polish. The bare metal will tarnish quick so you'll be spending more time cleaning the rims that you do riding.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
^^Totally diagree. It doesnt tarnish that bad and it gives it a totally different look. If you dont sand you'll get a more of a flat aluminum look like your swingarm. If you polish you get a mirror shine. I've had both and they both require extra work. You want to spend 20 minutes per week at least cleaning and polishing them. But just keep up on it and they will look good.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Arcrist said:
:bitch_ple why?????????!?!??!? So dangerous. This wont work as well as the old fashion way. You get what you put into the work on your bike. You take the quick and easy way, you'll get alright results. Take time, work hard, and do it right it will look beautiful!!! :love10:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright Ill do it the old fashioned way, but it'll still be on the stand. Just water with a little dish soap right? Back and forth motion or circular?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
NOOOO circles, especially if your sanding!!!! follow the lines, back and forth. youll get there. personally i prefer the brushed look over chrome-likeness. i polish mine really good about once a week, but try to keep em clean after long rides with a quick wipe down.

·
7,847 Posts
I didn't sand mine and I think they turned out just fine. Sure I need to clean up the center a little, which I have done more or less since the photo... Other than that, I think they look solid IMO.

Jason

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
^^They look good Q. I think the 04' rims are different than the 05-06 rims though. Not positive though.

·
7,847 Posts
CHEWKNOW said:
^^They look good Q. I think the 04' rims are different than the 05-06 rims though. Not positive though.
Oh yeah, I didn't know that... You could be right.

Jason

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Yes, sand in a strait motion. Arcrist, it should take at least 3-5 hrs of sanding from starting with 320 tilll final polishing per wheel. Like I said, it's a long process. When you think you've sanded enough with each grit, do it for 15 more minutes. They'll look like "buttah" when you're done... Or they'll look like **** if you're A.D.D. and cant spend the time or cant follow directions. Trust me, I just spent 30+ hrs on my 19's on my car and they look awesome. I'll show you pics if you need proof.

·
Registered
556 Posts
rocketscience said:
Yes, sand in a strait motion. Arcrist, it should take at least 3-5 hrs of sanding from starting with 320 tilll final polishing per wheel. Like I said, it's a long process. When you think you've sanded enough with each grit, do it for 15 more minutes. They'll look like "buttah" when you're done... Or they'll look like **** if you're A.D.D. and cant spend the time or cant follow directions. Trust me, I just spent 30+ hrs on my 19's on my car and they look awesome. I'll show you pics if you need proof.

I'm not calling you on BS or anything of that matter. I just want to see how well this process turns out after hard work :)

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
pics are always fun, lets see 'em!

also, has anyone done just the lip on their RR? (keep the center black, and only sand the first inch or so) I would like to see pics of that if someone has!

·
Registered
556 Posts
+1 on this!
slab42 said:
pics are always fun, lets see 'em!

also, has anyone done just the lip on their RR? (keep the center black, and only sand the first inch or so) I would like to see pics of that if someone has!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts