Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The title pretty much sums it up. I'm looking for an off-road bike to keep at a cabin we have upstate. I was set on a 250cc 2 stroke but then a buddy planted the seed by suggesting a dual-sport. Now I'm torn.
I'm open to other bikes aside from the RM250 and DRZ400 but I just happend to find both in my area, both are 2002..and the price is about the same for both.
I like the RM because it's got tons of power, it's light, and its a true off-road machine.
I like the DRZ because it's a 4 stroke so I dont have to deal wtih mixing the gas. Also I'm assuming it has more torque and our trails get pretty steep and arent very wide open so the torque would help. I also like the fact that I can take it on the road and if I get bored of using it as a dirt bike I can put some road tires on it and make it into somewhat of a motard/supermoto bike. but I dont think the DRZ will take a spill as well as the RM and I imagine the signals and other bits might get trashed pretty quickly.

I've also been looking at CR650's and KLR650's but they just seem too heavy and too street-oriented.
So what would you choose and why?

PS- another "pro" for the RM250 is that there is a motorcross track about 45 minutes from my house on Long Island so I thought it would be cool to try that out every once in a while. However the track is 45 minutes east of me and our cabin is about 3 hours northwest of me so I'm not sure how often I'll really be towing the bike back and forth. Also, I would assume the DRZ is fairly capable on a motocross track right? It's not like I'll be jumping triples...

·
Registered
145 Posts
RM if your staying in the dirt. It will pull pretty hard and you can set it up for woods riding. Theres a reason so many enduro riders prefer rhe 2 strokes. I personally would avoid the drz unless you plan to do some street riding. The rm is built to take spills all day long and continue to run and ride without issue. So it comes down to what kind of riding you would like to do. The drz's power will come on alot smoother and be more manageable though.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
first dirtbike?

DRZ is NOT good on an MX track.

250 RM for singletrack is almost overkill...and MX tracks are extremely dangerous if you are over 25yrs old (experience helps)

any 125's around?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. I'm sure both will have plenty of power but I am concerned about them getting dropped alot because usually we go up with a group of people and do some trail riding. I dont think I'll be dropping it much but I'm sure my friends will. We have 50 acres on a mountainside so the terrain is all uphill/downhill with very few flat spots. trails are pretty rough with not much space to really open it up.

It's not my first dirt bike. I used to have a CR125. It was great but you really needed to rev it up to get to the meat of the powerband. With all of the steep hills, turns, and stop and go riding I figured a 250 (or 400)would be better. I really wanted a 450 4 stroke MX bike but they're out of my price range.
I've ridden a 250cc dirt bike before. those things are FAST!

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you've rode a 250 2 stroke before, then you know wha you're still getting into. Go for it if you're comfortable on it... or find you a big bore ktm 2 stroke.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
if prior experience w/dirtbikes, and you had a CR125

rm 250 is obvious next step.....

have heard that the motor in the DR is kinda weak.

can u test ride it (dr?)....

·
Registered
743 Posts
I was looking at the DRZ400s, mainly for commuting and the occasional trail ride. Everyone said they suck if you need to get on the highway so I didn't get it. They don't have enought power. Probably not any fun unless you're doing sumo trackdays. I'd say go with the rm250 since you plan on riding it mainly off-road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts