Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday morning while riding to work on the interstate. A big piece cardboard hit me on my left hand, right in between my fingers (don't know how). I'm glad I had on descent gloves, it hurt a little. I saw it coming after an SUV ran over it. All I kept saying was, "sh1t, I hope it doesn't hit me in the head or chest area!" it was kinda windy so I didn't know what to do, which way to go. What I didn't realize that the crap hit my bike. Until I look at the front of it and saw a bunch of scuff marks on my baby. Thats when I got pissed.

I'll post pics by the weekend. How do you repair something like that? Its not deep scratches but scuffs. Buff it out? Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
51,144 Posts
I know how you feel man and yes its does suck but good thing you did not get hit
in the chest or face area or you would have got knocked off the bike then that
would have really really sucked

·
Registered
35 Posts
i hit a bird once at about 45 mph, exiting the highway. i was on my ex-500 (not that this matters), and was sitting fairly upright to get some aerodynamic braking, and this bird just flew across the exit ramp right as i was coming by. it hit me on the left side of the chest and bounced off (wearing a teknic chicane jacket), and really all i had was a sore spot for a day or so... no damage to me at all.

call me weird, but in most instances, i'd rather have a minor injury than damage to my bike. flesh heals, but metal and plastic don't.

·
Alcoholic.
1,852 Posts
claybar and an electric sander with a buffer attachment, should help.

·
Alcoholic.
1,852 Posts
yeah, claybar helps get particles out of paint and plastics, detailers use them all the time. I'm just going on your scuffs description, but I've used bars before, and they always help.

If your cleaning a car or bike yourself, they are a great thing to have anyway.

·
Registered
357 Posts
i hit a bird once at about 45 mph, exiting the highway. i was on my ex-500 (not that this matters), and was sitting fairly upright to get some aerodynamic braking, and this bird just flew across the exit ramp right as i was coming by. it hit me on the left side of the chest and bounced off (wearing a teknic chicane jacket), and really all i had was a sore spot for a day or so... no damage to me at all.

call me weird, but in most instances, i'd rather have a minor injury than damage to my bike. flesh heals, but metal and plastic don't.
Me too. I hit a bird doing about 40 mph, and it hit my bike right in the mesh insert in the Air intake. the mesh is bent in slightly and i had bird shi$ and feathers in the cracks or my headlights and under my windscreen and everything!

·
Registered
696 Posts
If the scuffs dont come out by buffing you can try lightly water sanding with 2500 grit or finer sand paper then buffing on it. DONT NOT SAND TO MUCH!!!! The factory doesnt put alot of clear on these bikes so be carefull.

I also hit a huge black bird doing 65 mph and it hit me in the right side of my chest and it nearly took me off the bike. It yanked my right arm completly off the throttle and some how I was able to come to a safe stop. It took me about 15 mins to completly catch my breath and stop shaking.

·
Alcoholic.
1,852 Posts
I was going to recommend wet sanding, but if the guy doesn't even know what a claybar is, wet sanding is REALLY risky.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
sorry to hear about ur unfortunate encounter with road debris, but sort of be thankful that it was just cardboard: i read a post a few weeks back about someone who got hit with a brick or similar hardness object that came off of a construction vehicle in front of him...................

1 - 10 of 10 Posts