1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
here is my experience with Road Rash,
just thought i'd share what I did to heal up relatively quickly
hope it helps!
___
EDIT: post accident pic

___

1) ex-nay on the hydro-peroxide (yes it is suppose to kill bacteria, but pharmassits told me it inhibits cell regeneration, so like the initial wash, once or twice, sure, but it WILL burn like a biatch)

2) Keep that Sh!t MOIST (common misconception to let it dry and scab, why? cuz scabbing dries out the skin and wound, and less oxygen goes to the wound = slower to heal)

3)I used gentle non scented foam soap, it was just what I had at the time, and barely had a scent (less chemicals the better)

the foam means less 'scrubbing' action and it just feels better on the wound IMO.
I washed twice with the foam soap then..

4) I mixed it with Cetaphil (stuff I used when I had bad acne, and it helped alot in the repair phase)
*dermatologist recommended skin cleansers and moisturizers specially formulated for dry sensitive skin*

5)Then I used lots of polysporin (complete) not the triple one

6) get this stuff called 2nd skin, seriously works wonders!!

I used poly and kept wrapping it, even putting vaseline on the gauge to try to keep it moist, but it still dries out. When it dried out, my leg hurt like hell to walk on, for the initial steps, but after I was in stride, I walked fine.

Then I started using 2nd skin, the next morning, the pain was literally gone! like friggin amazing

I read other forums from bicyclist and stuff, Americans might have stuff called Tegaderm, but its hard to find apparently
____

so poly under the 2nd skin, and just get some big bandaids, and stick it down for a few days to keep it moist and let it cool your skin.

2nd skin info says change daily, which I found wasteful, so I changed every 3 days

bottom line, keep it moist, keep it clean, when you take off the 2nd skin and after the wash, just put poly on the wound and let the rest of the area breathe.

If on your wound, you get the new buildup of skin lookin white stuff, you should be able to lightly rub it off with your fingers.
__

went down May 25th, this is June 24th

___
EDIT:
in terms of muscle recovery, I am a strong believer in GLUTAMINE
it is an amino acid in powder form that athletes use for muscle recover

just mix and drink with water or juice, kinda makes it taste like mineral water.
best before bed, and right when you wake up

·
Registered
368 Posts
No gear FTL. Glad you are okay and found a good remedy to share with us though. Although most of won't probably won't need it. lol.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Glad you are okay and found a good remedy to share with us though.
Do you have any after-accident pictures, just to compare? It looks like its healing good, fast, and healthy - no scarring, or at least minimal. Also, is your scabs / wounds tender or painful to the touch? Or not so much anymore?

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
No gear FTL. Glad you are okay and found a good remedy to share with us though. Although most of won't probably won't need it. lol.
:+1:

Pics to compare would be great.... thx for sharing.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope that no ones gonna need this info, but thought it'd be nice to share

I added the after accident pic for comparison

the meat wise, not tender to touch. i rub cetaphil lotion mixed with poly on it to keep it moist still, but its not really dry anymore..

feels wierd to kneel on after not kneeling for like 3 wks,

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
dang ... i found a much better way for my rash to heal when i got it from my peddle bike..its called salt water.. i went to beach for like a week and it burnt like hell but the ocean water is good i was told..now my scars are same color as skin... just a tad bit lighter. also lots of neosporin kept on it when not in the water.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeh i thought about that, but why do it the painful ass way.

2nd, I live in Toronto Ontario, and its dirty dirty lake ontario.

Epsom salt said 'not for wounds'

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
dang ... i found a much better way for my rash to heal when i got it from my peddle bike..its called salt water.. i went to beach for like a week and it burnt like hell but the ocean water is good i was told..now my scars are same color as skin... just a tad bit lighter. also lots of neosporin kept on it when not in the water.
I would avoid getting your wounds covered in sea water, salt water is good but sea water is bad, reason being that its absolutely full of bacteria and other microbes that have a reasonably high chance of causing your wound to get infected prolonging the experience, or worse.
I go for iodine and wound pads. Put them on, leave for three days, soak it off, put new one on then change daily. Always leave it for the first three days to prevent disturbing the wound and damaging it further, also soak it off the first time for the same reason. Generally takes about two weeks for the wound to heal up.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Let us know what your remedy is for that bacterial infection! :crackup: Your scars are a bit lighter because of the sun discoloring the layer of skin underneath your most superficial layer.

Thanks for the pics, looks like its healing good! :cruising:

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
dang.. well i never got infection or anything..this was awhile ago..it burned but by the end of the week they were nice and healed

·
Registered
32 Posts
to those who jumped all over ajay's weiner, sit down and shush. if you have road rash or simple cuts, where you don't need any medical attention from a hospital, the jersey water will by far speed up the healing process. don't ask me why or how but if you are from here you know it, and nobody gets any infections.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Everyone go to the other thread its called Road Rash Remedy (easier and more preventable way WEAR YOUR GEAR) It will tell you how to really fight road rash easier, and gets rid of it almost instantly. But if that method isnt cool enough for you for instance if you need to show off the guns to all the ladies because who looks cool in leathers and what not follow this thread.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
aimtoplease, you should aim to STFU
this was meant to help and be informative, gear or not, if it happens to you, it sucks

p.s. your english is balls, puncuation my friend

lol FAIL!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Aimtoplease, how is your comment in any way helpful to other members of a forum. Get a grip of yourself man, i hate bitter fracking ashooles like you man, if you cant say anything constructive STFU.
Dikhead

·
Banned
280 Posts
I took a spill on my Longboard a few years ago on a steeeeeep incline.. thankfully i didn't get hit by a cage at the time .. went way out of control in terms of speed blew threw two red lights "in Denver none the less" went into a parking lot and before I slammed into a trash truck decided to slide it out .. had rash from the ball of my ankle up to my shoulder blade.... that **** was horrible ... my bandages would fall off during the night and in the morning when I woke up I would be "scabbed" to the sheets.... I hated life.. wish I would have known about this then lol .. oh well .. I dont even think I have scaring left ...although I never check my self out on it either... Good post

1 - 20 of 33 Posts