Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, thought I'd just float this by you guys.

I plan to leave next Wednesday (or sometime after Wednesday that week) to ride to CA from Oregon. The goal is to ride to AR/LA and back hitting these states CA, AZ, NM, TX, OK, AR and LA. I don't have the same work restrictions that other people do (I work from home) so I can find time to take off a little easier than most, unnnnnfortunately, that's not really the case for any of my friends here in Oregon and I'm tired of hearing "my wife/gf won't let me" or "I have a real job"...

SO.

I'm thinking, I'll hit these states and hope some of the dot net members might want to ride. I'm fairly open to suggestions, routes, etc. It would just be nice to not have a 100% solo trip.

If you're in these states, and interested in riding, let me know. Would be great to hear from fellow RR riders.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the whole point is to ride, so if I have a reason to be somewhere (and it's relatively close to being on course) that's cool with me.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Unless you have a reason to visit TX, OK, AR and LA, I'd skip them and go to CO and UT. Although it still amy be a little cold in those states.

In fact, if you wait for two months, you can do / see a lot more stuff in the West because the mountain roads will be open.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CA, thanks for the offer. I'll be around that area because my bro actually lives in Chino so I'm sure he's got a couch, but again, I appreciate it. Let me know if you want to do any riding.

And Jim, the only reason I'd have to go to those states is because I've never ridden in them. I've been all over UT and CO and I can assure you, right now, it's incredibly cold. I'd have to go through ID, to get to Northern Utah then cut over to CO...the weather would be a bit unpredictable and a few passes would have to be crossed.

I'd like to hit the entire southern section of the U.S. while the weather is moderate, but aside from the length of time and money it would take to do so, I'd have to take the same way back because of the Rockies!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Highway 1 between just north of San Francisco, all the way down to San Luis Obispo. My stomping grounds. If you've never done it, I HIGHLY advise doing it, and if the weather is good, I'll go too!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did the Big Sur ride in December though I didn't go all the way to SLO (cut back in towards Paso Robles at San Simeon). Also rode Skyline up to Alice's and back down one. I was camping at Laguna Seca, so the access to great roads was unbelievable and I thought I was pretty spoiled living in the Portland area.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Luke,

That sounds pretty cool. I lived in Mesa for a few years, and not only did I never ride a bike there, I never visited Tucson! I was thinking of going to NM via Flag, but we'll see. I might just have to take you up on the Tucson offer. Thanks.

·
Registered
655 Posts
CA, thanks for the offer. I'll be around that area because my bro actually lives in Chino so I'm sure he's got a couch, but again, I appreciate it. Let me know if you want to do any riding.

And Jim, the only reason I'd have to go to those states is because I've never ridden in them. I've been all over UT and CO and I can assure you, right now, it's incredibly cold. I'd have to go through ID, to get to Northern Utah then cut over to CO...the weather would be a bit unpredictable and a few passes would have to be crossed.

I'd like to hit the entire southern section of the U.S. while the weather is moderate, but aside from the length of time and money it would take to do so, I'd have to take the same way back because of the Rockies!
Hell yeah, i can ride Malibu, the 23, Latigo, Ortega, GMR, but ACH is still closed just let me know.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ryan. Yes I plan to be around OKC (Edmond), and I absolutely DID NOT think there was going to be a road worth riding in the area HAHAHAHAHA. That being said, I'm cool with meeting up and just roasting some flat ****!

CA. Sounds good man. I know of nothing in the L.A. area to ride, but I'm guessing the ACH is Angeles Crest? I've never ridden it, but I know there has to be some decent roads in the area. I'm cool with some fun twisties, fo sho.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ryan. Yes I plan to be around OKC (Edmond), and I absolutely DID NOT think there was going to be a road worth riding in the area HAHAHAHAHA. That being said, I'm cool with meeting up and just roasting some flat ****!

CA. Sounds good man. I know of nothing in the L.A. area to ride, but I'm guessing the ACH is Angeles Crest? I've never ridden it, but I know there has to be some decent roads in the area. I'm cool with some fun twisties, fo sho.

Im close to Edmond and this next week we are supposed to have some stable weather in the mid 60s, but being Oklahoma it can change very quickly. We have great roads for going really really fast in a straight line but no twistys.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kungpow. I've already set up a day with one of my boys from Portland that moved down to the Tempe area, so I'll definitely be in AZ. If I can round up some Tucson people, that sounds like a great excuse to go. Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
btw, dig that Mark III in the driveway. I owned an 87 and 91 (n/a), always thought about going for the next one.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts

OK, that makes sense. I'd still recommend skipping the flat states, or getting through them as quickly as possible. If you get on I-40, you can haul ass for a day or two and be right in the middle of the Western North Carolina mountains. Deals Gap, etc. OTOH, I've heard there is some great riding in Arknasas, but I've never been there.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts