Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading to kansas for my best friends wedding and decided to make it a bike trip. On sunday I rode from Clearwater, FL ( my home ) to Mobile, Alabama ( where I work ) 651 miles from my apartment in FL to my place in AL. Took me a about 7 hours. Wednsday afternoon Im getting back on the road from Mobile, AL to Garden City, KS apx 1100 miles.

How long do yall think it will take?

I'm figuring if i leave AL between 12-3pm I can get 600 miles before 9pm. Stop for the night. Start riding again about 5am. I can be sitting back with a 40oz by 4pm thursday.

My biggest concern is gonna be with my tires.. Right now Ive got a 180 pilot on the rear and whatever stock tire on front. The front tire is great. Despite me riding the **** out of it. It still shows no sign of wear. i can tell that the rear is gonna need to be replaced when I get there. Does anyone know of a good highway tire for the RR? I'll use the pilot there. But id like to get something that will last for a bit on the way back and not flatten out so much.
Any other good advice?

·
Registered
659 Posts
How many miles are on your front tire? If you've worn through your second tire in the rear, it's probably time to replace the stock front.

As far a the return set of tires, make sure your pressure is up on whatever you choose. A new set of PPs or any street tire should only be mildly worn after 1100 highway miles at the right pressure.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living? I'd have to really enjoy my job for a 651 mile commute :)

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Bump up your tire pressure to 36/42 so you don't wear out your tires. Keeping your speed under 85mph helps also. Take breaks often and stay well hydrated. Take a clear shield and a rain suit in case of rain. Also take a tire patch kit in case of a flat.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in the coast guard. I normally work out of St. Petersburg, FL. The ship i work on has been dry docked in Alabama since febuary. I travel back to tampa to visit my wife on the weekends and then I come back to AL during the week to work.

I'll have to remember the rain suit. On the way up here I got soaked and ruined my razr and mp3 player. The pilot i have now isn't to worn. But you can tell by close inspection that its got some highway miles on it. Kind of flat in the center. This is the first long distance trip ive made with it. Only about 1000 regular street miles on it before this. I dont do burn outs or anything like that so its in good shape.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts