Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Roethlisberger injured in accident

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is in serious but stable condition and in surgery this afternoon following a serious head injury this morning after his motorcycle collided with a car on Second Avenue near the 10th Street Bridge, police said.
"He is right now in the (operating room) undergoing some surgery from injuries he received in this accident today," said Dr. Larry Jones, chief of trauma and burns at Mercy Hospital, Uptown. ... He was talking to me before he left for the OR. He's coherent. He's making sense. He knows what happened."

Roethlisberger, 24, who was not wearing a helmet, collided with a Chrysler New Yorker shortly before 11:25 a.m. and was thrown off his motorcycle, flying head-first into the car's windshield "with a pretty good force," said a veteran city police officer.

Roethlisberger was talking and moving his arms and legs after the accident. He suffered injuries to his face and lost several teeth, according to city firefighters.

The injured quarterback was taken to Mercy Hospital, said a Steelers spokesman, who declined to provide other information.

The car, which has Maine license plates, was heading west on Second Avenue and was turning left onto the 10th Street Bridge. Roethlisberger was driving east on Second Avenue riding a Suzuki Hayabusa and collided with the car at the intersection of the bridge and the Armstrong Tunnels.

Roethlisberger, who led the Steelers to a Super Bowl championship this year, slammed into the windshield, rolled over the car and landed on the pavement, striking his head again, said a woman who witnessed the accident.

The witness, who declined to give her name, asked Roethlisberger several times if he was OK. He eventually replied, "My name is Ben."

He asked: "Where am I?"

"You're at the Armstrong Tunnel," the witness said.

"What city is that in?" he said.

"Pittsburgh," the woman replied.

Roethlisberger fell silent for about a minute and then tried to stand up.

"I'm OK," he said.

"No you're not," said the woman, who instructed him to stay still.

Pittsburgh homicide detectives are investigating the accident, which is standard procedure when critical injuries are involved, said city police Lt. Kevin Kraus.

Roethlisberger's 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa, which is named after a Japanese bird of prey, was totaled. The front wheel was broken in half. The handle bars were broken. The left pedal was shattered. The 170-horsepower bike, which weighs 500 pounds fully loaded, was targeted by law enforcement agencies worldwide after its 1998 debut because it could reach a top speed of 189 mph.

Suzuki Motorcycles of North America gave Roethlisberger the bike as part of a promotional deal in exchange for him appearing at several Suzuki dealerships in the area, including Andrews Cycle in Salem, Ohio where he picked up the motorcycle last summer. Andrews' sales staff declined comment.

The motorcycle is popular among first-time buyers, said Steve Stiller, a salesman at Northgate Motorcycles in Cranberry, Butler County.

Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding his motorcycle. He has pointed out Pennsylvania's 35-year-old state law requiring helmets to be worn was amended to make helmets optional.

In May 2005, Steelers coach Bill Cowher lectured Roethlisberger on the dangers of riding without a helmet.

"He talked about being a risktaker and I'm not really a risktaker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful," Roethlisberger said at the time. "I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."

In May 2005, Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. tore knee ligaments in a motorcycle accident and was lost for the season.

Roethlisberger continued to ride after Winslow's accident and that angered Terry Bradshaw, who quarterbacked the Steelers to four Super Bowl victories during the 1970s.

Visiting the Steelers' training camp last summer, Bradshaw remarked: "Ride it when you retire."

Earlier this year, Roethlisberger led the Steelers to the NFL title, giving the team the fifth Super Bowl win they had been chasing since 1980.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/accident.html

I bet he wears a helmet from this point on!

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn, I looked before I posted it too. Doh! I was wondering why it hadn't been posted yet

Ahhhh! It was in crash boom bang, I avoid that thread

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I thought he was riding a Harley or some type of cruiser. But he was on a sportbike! How much does he get paid?? Whatever it is. He's throwing it all away. Here's another quote from another article:

http://www.comcast.net/sports/index.jsp?cat=SPORTS&fn=/2006/06/12/411542.html&cvqh=tis_roeth

Roethlisberger continued to ride after Winslow's accident and that angered Terry Bradshaw, who quarterbacked the Steelers to four Super Bowl victories during the 1970s.

Visiting the Steelers' training camp last summer, Bradshaw remarked: "Ride it when you retire."

·
Registered
275 Posts
No helmet, no sympathy...driving in the city without a helmet is just plain retarded. I do hope he comes out of it ok...Sounded like a rough accident.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Spectre said:
thats right...make sure you wear a helmet when facing 300lb people running at you, but when facing 3000lb chunks of steel it is perfectly safe and reasonable to not wear a helmet. some great logic there.
Sound perfectly logical to me! What's your point?!

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
get well soon Ben, and wear your helmet next time. we need you at QB.

"One Steelers source told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that Roethlisberger was in surgery for a broken jaw, an injury that can take approximately seven weeks to heal. The Steelers season starts in 12 weeks."

another link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2480830

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I heard on the radio he f'ed his knees up pretty badly as well

His football days are over, especially if he fractured his skull

·
Registered
553 Posts
Could you imagine being the person driving the car that almost killed Big Ben...They almost killed that dude in Chicago for messin up that foul ball catch...think if somebody killed the star quarterback, they're probably still gonna have to move...

·
Whore Police
16,493 Posts
Another case of a hotshot riding what they think is the biggest and the baddest.. As stated above if you missed it... It was a BUSA... Go Figure.. We see squids on all types of bikes.. But in this case I would have to say it was a big ego on a big bike.

Anyone think that he will change his mind on wearing a helmet.. I hope he comes out ok but could care less if he ever plays football again. Maby if he can't play again he will encourage other to wear helmets... Maby The steelers should mandate that he do a few TV spots siting the million reasons to wear a helmet...

·
Registered
210 Posts
"According to a police source, Roethlisberger suffered a broken jaw, broke his left sinus cavity, suffered a 9-inch laceration to the back of his head, lost many teeth and has severe injuries to his knees from hitting the pavement."

This is sad news. But really, a helmet isn't that uncomfortable and most likely would have prevented the majority of those injuries.

On a second note, so if he gets a bike to promote Suzuki ... maybe Nelly will get him to promote "Grillz".

"Smile fo' me daddy
Let me see ya grill"

·
Registered
364 Posts
From PennLive:

Roethlisberger's 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa, which is named after a Japanese bird of prey, was totaled. The front wheel was broken in half. The handle bars were broken. The left pedal was shattered. The 170-horsepower bike, which weighs 500 pounds fully loaded, was targeted by law enforcement agencies worldwide after its 1998 debut because it could reach a top speed of 189 mph.

Suzuki Motorcycles of North America gave Roethlisberger the bike as part of a promotional deal in exchange for him appearing at several Suzuki dealerships in the area, including Andrews Cycle in Salem, Ohio where he picked up the motorcycle last summer. Andrews' sales staff declined comment.

The motorcycle is popular among first-time buyers, said Steve Stiller, a salesman at Northgate Motorcycles in Cranberry, Butler County.

That last line amuses me.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
It was woman driver too. Go figure. I'm sure it wasn't his fault. B!tch turned left in front of him and probably "didn't see him coming." Stupid b1tch. I don't know any of this to be true just ranting. Wear your gear and ride safe guys. Just another reminder from someone elses stupid example.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm (not) sorry, but these guys deserve it just as much as any other squid - just because they're rich and famous, doesn't mean they can ride a 200mph motorcycle - ALL YOU JOCK HEROS OUT THERE - TAKE NOTE!

·
Registered
275 Posts
yeah he won't be playing football anymore. I think that TV ads from the Steelers promoting helmet use would be an amazing idea. I hope this message hits home with many of the squid "manly" riders out there. I doubt the team will actually put out this message because they probably think it will make them look bad or something....well here's hoping

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
roguegeek said:
From PennLive:

That last line amuses me.
Yeah, I found that interesting and amusing too. I knew gsxs were newbie bikes, but didnt think theyd be on the busas.

Sucks to see that. I wonder if his career is really over. I cant believe that someone in his position whos career depends on his physical health, would be so dumb as to not wear a helmet.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts