Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, while I'm all about the exercise I'm about tired of pushing my bike around to start it. When I see Rossi or Giberneau pit for that Q tire, their mechanics calmly roll a unit under the wheel, press a button a bang, instant start.

I've looked around, but I can't find one for sale. I want to see how much sticker shock I go into before I set off on making one myself. I figure if they're affordable, why not?

·
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware
6,875 Posts
WHOA!!! $1600 holy hell that's spendy!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Holy freakin' Gawd!!!! Uh... yeah, I think I'll try my hand at making one LOL.

Good work Tuna, always have the 411 on the cool stuff.

- 2 Dayton motors $300
- Angle Iron $30
- Foot Pedal $65
- Casters $15
- Labor $150
- Chain & Rollers... maybe $250
- Total $810

And they don't even include the battery! Wow, what a deal. A grand markup, I wonder how many they sell?

I'm all about making money, but that seems like robbery. And my prices are best guestimate and RETAIL, my guess is their cost is half that.

I'm going to surf Grainger.com and see just what this is going to take.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
holy...nice find BigTuna. Thanks. Time to draft up some blueprints of the self-made starter :)

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I need a supplier of billet aluminum also... any ideas? (locally, that is)

Predikit ---> you've got it easy, man. You'll only need one motor rated at maybe 1-2 HP to start a 2-stroke.

·
Registered
473 Posts
What's the use of one of those starters? Is meant strictly for the track?

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
CCSEX122 said:
Thanks, I need a supplier of billet aluminum also... any ideas? (locally, that is)

Predikit ---> you've got it easy, man. You'll only need one motor rated at maybe 1-2 HP to start a 2-stroke.
I haven't done much with aluminum, mostly stainless. Possibly Tad Metals or Millenium Metals off the top of my head. I can check with my boss tomorrow though, he should know.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
MellowYellowCBR said:
What's the use of one of those starters? Is meant strictly for the track?
Yes, it is for race bikes that have their starter removed. You can push start a bike, but the above roller starters are much more trick... Watch some races on TV and you can see them being used in the pits.

·
Registered
605 Posts
When i was racing at the weekend, i saw a guy who had two metal rollers in a low frame that he drove his van on to (there was room at the side to get the bike on as well) started his van, put it in gear, van wheels moved the rollers, back wheel of bike on the rollers and bobs ya uncle !!

A lot easier to fabricate i would have thought although it is still a 2 man opperation as one guy needs to be in the van and one guy on the bike?

Just my 2 pennies :)

·
BOTM Winner 07/14
996 Posts
Just go to the local parts store and buy a cheap automotive starter motor and a remote starter button like mechanics use. Fab a frame for some rollers and use jumper cables to run from your tow vehicles battery to the starter motor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts