Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Very interesting...

I read his autobiography and he mentioned how Ducati was similar to Honda in that they placed more value on the machine than the rider.

That was part of the reason why he chose Yamaha, instead of Ducati. Ducati was after him just as much as Yamaha when he was leaving Honda.

If he does end up on the ducati, it would be a fitting way to wrap up his career.

He's an amazing racer...can't wait to see more races :)

·
Macedonian Racer
1,345 Posts
He's expecting Yamaha to do something to improve their bike for 2008 or else he'll be leaving early! Even then he'll have a hard time with Stoner! It will be interesting to see how Toseland comes along... :icon_lol:

·
Registered
610 Posts
what I wouldn't give to have that kind of coverage in the States.... I don't see Rossi and Stoner on the same team. Ever.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, OMG, rossi to ride for Ducati then retire!?!?!?!?! insanity!!1!

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
Rossi on the Duc would be unstoppable...providing that they keep their dominance by then.

MotoGP won't be the same without the Doctor :(

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yeahm i really wish we had that type of GP coverage here in the states
You've gotta spread the gospel. We would get more coverage if we got more viewership. Formula 1 gets qualifying and practice coverage as well as pre-race and wrap up shows. We could get that for Moto GP if it pulled similar ratings.

·
OG
19,115 Posts
Rossi on the Duc would be unstoppable...providing that they keep their dominance by then.

MotoGP won't be the same without the Doctor :(
yeah, rossi+ducati would be tits... i hope it happens before the doctor leaves GP

·
Registered
498 Posts
it would be great for the italian fans to see the greatest italian riding the greatest italian bike once again. but i doubt it would happen. even though there would not be a better move for him right now. i believe yamaha will do everything in their power to kick the ducati dominance. next year should be a heck of a lot better racing especially if they go to a spec tire.

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
Rossi on a Ducati would be even WORSE than this year. The only redeemable thing is that people would root for Rossi to win every race in the calendar year. But we know how uneventful it's been to see Stoner win 9 races this year. It was a yawn-fest. I guess it would be nice to see Rossi maybe keep it close and then use the strengths of the Ducati to blow the competition away in the final couple of laps. Rossi leaving Yamaha is a kick in their face, but they already kicked Rossi in the face by signing Lorenzo. It will be an interesting garage in 2008, that's for sure.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Rossi on a Ducati would be even WORSE than this year. The only redeemable thing is that people would root for Rossi to win every race in the calendar year. But we know how uneventful it's been to see Stoner win 9 races this year. It was a yawn-fest. I guess it would be nice to see Rossi maybe keep it close and then use the strengths of the Ducati to blow the competition away in the final couple of laps. Rossi leaving Yamaha is a kick in their face, but they already kicked Rossi in the face by signing Lorenzo. It will be an interesting garage in 2008, that's for sure.
Yeah, MotoGP at Laguna Seca was pretty much over once Stoner got the lead. It was a blah race. It was like "gee, he picked up another tenth of a mile length on everyone else. Oooh, the Ducatis sound louder than everyone else, yadda yadda." I was hoping others would put up more of a fight.

But Rossi is the king in my opinion. MJ on a bike.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Very interesting...

I read his autobiography and he mentioned how Ducati was similar to Honda in that they placed more value on the machine than the rider.

That was part of the reason why he chose Yamaha, instead of Ducati. Ducati was after him just as much as Yamaha when he was leaving Honda.

If he does end up on the ducati, it would be a fitting way to wrap up his career.

He's an amazing racer...can't wait to see more races :)
It is very interesting you bring this up. From his autobiography, he wants people to know that it is not ALL the machine's ability in delivering wins and titles.

If Rossi does move to Ducati, it seems a bit hypocritical given Ducati's domainance this year. People already talk about whether or not Stoner won on abillity alone.

I think Rossi wants people to remember him because of his skill (what he did with Yamaha when he first moved across) and not of the "superior" machine he was given to race with.

·
Registered
591 Posts
It is very interesting you bring this up. From his autobiography, he wants people to know that it is not ALL the machine's ability in delivering wins and titles.

If Rossi does move to Ducati, it seems a bit hypocritical given Ducati's domainance this year. People already talk about whether or not Stoner won on abillity alone.

I think Rossi wants people to remember him because of his skill (what he did with Yamaha when he first moved across) and not of the "superior" machine he was given to race with.
I don't think it would be hypocritical of him at all to go to Ducati. Rossi has never said that rider is the only factor in victory, just that it is as important or more important than the bike. But obviously if you're up against a definitively superior bike with an similarly talented rider you are going to lose.

Let's face it, Yamaha has costed Rossi the championship two years in a row. First with the two engine failures last season, then with the bike that is waaayyy down on power to the Ducati. Tires played in there too of course but Rossi is pushing to switch to Bridgestones next year so the onus will fall on Rossi and Yamaha's shoulders. You know (or at least one would assume) that Rossi will do his part. It is up to Yamaha to do theirs.

I think that the M1 was a great bike when the season started but Honda has improved more than they have over the course of the season. Once again it seems like Yamaha has focused all of their attention on helping Rossi and Colin's bike has been getting no love. I'm sure this is not making Toseland feel too good...

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
I don't think ANYONE knew how strong the Ducati would be right out of the box. I'm thinking that many of the factories felt like it was going to be a development in process. When Ducati came out flyin', the other factories, particularly Honda, was like, "If we don't fight hard and fast now, we're going to lose the Constructor's Award."

So, you see how important this is to HRC. Yamaha on the other hand has had issues from the CEO about how important motorcycle racing is to the company as a whole. The current CEO believes very much that the bread and butter of the company ISN'T in motosports but in its musical instruments/department. The PACE of the M1's improvement is, what I believe, a direct reflection of that philosophy.

They're in no rush to be the top dog in MotoGP, because if they were, development of the new engine, chassis and 800 as a whole would have been much more fierce, rivaling HRC. But as you've seen, it hasn't and Rossi (and Edwards for that matter) are suffering because of it.

·
Registered
995 Posts
the Yammi CEO said that... I believed that I read that as part of a April fool's online article...

Anyways, rumor is that Rossi might be on Bstone... I haven't watched the video posted, but I think everyone is making a big deal out of this tire issue... give Michelin one more year to sort it out..

Furthermore, I think Rossi is peaking out as we speak... His last race had no tire wear issue but I didn't see him storm through like he used to do...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts