1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
OG
19,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/191020...ne-switch.html
Malaysian GP - Rossi to make Bridgestone switch

Eurosport - Fri, 19 Oct 12:25:00 2007
Valentino Rossi will use Bridgestone tyres on his Yamaha next year, according to Michelin's Moto GP tyre chief.

Jean-Philippe Weber, the French manufacturer's competitions director said that pressure from the five-time world champion to switch to Bridgestone rubber next season in a bid to close the performance gap to Casey Stoner and Ducati, had finally paid off.

"He [Rossi] has said he must switch to Bridgestones and you can't go against the desire of the riders, so we cannot remain with him," said Weber.

Rossi, and Repsol Honda rider Dani Pedrosa, Moto GP's biggest stars, have been campaigning since mid-season to get their teams to switch to Bridgestones for 2008.

Although Bridgestone initially issued a firm "no" to both squads following requests for a switch, it is believed that pressure from championship bosses Dorna to switch to a single-tyre rule in 2008 unless they gave way, has led to the move.

Officially, nothing has been confirmed, but Dorna have said that a decision on whether or not a single-tyre formula will be adopted next season, will be announced next week.
With only Bridgestone even willing to consider bidding for the contract, should one come up, Rossi's move will not affect what rubber he uses.

Rossi was only 16th fastest in practice for the Malaysian Grand Prix, and knew instantly where the blame lay.

It's very disappointing for me to be here, at one of my favourite tracks where we know our bike goes well, in 16th position! We don't have any grip, especially in front, and we were very slow today.

"We've tried a lot of tyres and different settings but so far we haven't been able to make much progress."

Rossi's switch will create a unique situation within the Yamaha squad as his new team-mate Jorge Lorenzo will use Michelin rubber, a move which will almost certainly upset the development of their 2008 motorcycle.

The Tech-3 Yamahas of James Toseland and Colin Edwards will also use the French rubber, switching from the current British-made Dunlops.

Whether or not Pedrosa will also switch is yet to be decided.

·
OG
19,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
from superbike planet:

Now we await confirmation that Rossi will be on Bridgestones next season and that the mono-tyre rule is not going to happen.

·
Registered
895 Posts
WOW, now that is interesting :p

Is there any cooperation or affiliation between Yamaha (japan) and Bridgestone?

I mean, with regards to their corporate relations, in the past or present, have they had a good relationship? Perhaps that may have helped make this decision as well?

Although the fact that ONLY Rossi would switch makes it interesting.

He's definitely showing his "pull" with this manuever. Amazing and interesting to see.

·
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD c
27,367 Posts
yeah awesome..now stoner is gunna have to work for it and the tire talk can be layed to rest!!

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
I await to hear Stoner whine about this and attack Rossi. I don't think it's as interesting as people think. I think it's smart. Clearly, Michelin doesn't seem to have a sense of urgency to step up their game, as evident from their whooping all season long. If I were Rossi, I'd do the same thing. I think as any rider who is looking to get an edge, you make changes to the best equipment you have available. The Bridgestones are available. They can't withhold the tires from Rossi.

Rossi + pneumatic valves + Bridgestones = a hard time for Stoner's defense.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Been reading about this for a week now, personally I think is ****! I hope Michelin gets their act together this year (coming up) and SOMEONE on Michelins SPANKS Rossi again. (hurts to say being a Rossi fan) but I am tired of hearing him put all the blame on anyone/anything but himself! Whether it's true or not, IMO that's not the act of a champion.

Even Burgess has come out and said that he feels it's shouldn't be blamed on Michelin, that the whole team had issues.

Give credit where it's due, CONGRATS to CASEY!

Remember also, Casey wasn't the only rider out there on Stones (as also said but Burgess).

·
Registered
187 Posts
Can you blame him?

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Can you blame him?
In a way yes, in a way no...

Here is why/what:
No I don't blame him for wanting equipment to stay competitive, anyone does and SHOULD have equipment that is competitive!!! I have no problem there. I have no problem with him riding on Stones.

I have a problem with how it's been handled. Racing is a TEAM sport, you expect your TEAM to stand by you and you should stand by your TEAM! AT LEAST publicly!!!

IF he has a problem or MANY problems, you go to the people that matter, you go to Burgess, you and Burgess go the heads of Yami, you meet with Michelin and you figure it out.

What you DON'T DO is go to the media and put blame ALL your failure on a single member of your TEAM!

When Rossi blew a motor, or low sided, his TEAM didn't come out and BLAME him for loosing the race, those are things that you do within your TEAM!

Ok, [/rant] being a Rossi fan it aggravates me...

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Don't think anyone can blame anyone for wanting the best! So, why is he with Yami?

He definitely could have handled the situation like a man and a champ.

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
In a way yes, in a way no...

Here is why/what:
No I don't blame him for wanting equipment to stay competitive, anyone does and SHOULD have equipment that is competitive!!! I have no problem there. I have no problem with him riding on Stones.

I have a problem with how it's been handled. Racing is a TEAM sport, you expect your TEAM to stand by you and you should stand by your TEAM! AT LEAST publicly!!!

IF he has a problem or MANY problems, you go to the people that matter, you go to Burgess, you and Burgess go the heads of Yami, you meet with Michelin and you figure it out.

What you DON'T DO is go to the media and put blame ALL your failure on a single member of your TEAM!

When Rossi blew a motor, or low sided, his TEAM didn't come out and BLAME him for loosing the race, those are things that you do within your TEAM!

Ok, [/rant] being a Rossi fan it aggravates me...
I think this is a little bit misinformed. Pick up an issue of RRW, or do some digging and you'll find that Rossi has EXHAUSTIVELY dealt with Michelin and Yamaha. He's exhaustively spoken to Burgess and have gone together to Yamaha to fix their issues. Burgess is a little more even keeled. He's not going to react emotionally and believes optimistically that Yamaha will get it together with Michelin to be competitive.

However, look at it from Rossi's point of view: He lost the championship because his bike was unreliable to his previous employer (HRC) and former teammate (Hayden). Then, he lost ground and a chance at the World Championship to another rival factory (Ducati) and the 2006 Crash King (Casey Stoner), mainly because his bike couldn't keep up on the straights and his tires punking out on him 75% into the race.

I don't fault Burgess, but the dude doesn't seem to have a lot of fire left in him, at least, not up to Rossi's determination. That being said, a lot of changes have happened in the Yamaha front office that's made motor sports the lest of their concern. The CEO has made no bones about making their motorcycle division play second fiddle (no pun intended) to its instrument division, as they see this expensive sport as a drain on their bottom line!

So, if the only thing Rossi can fight for is tires, that's really all he can control! But don't think for a moment Rossi hasn't tried to convince the powers that be at Yamaha and Michelin to make him competitive. You're telling me a tire company like Michelin can develop a one-off tire for specific riders in one day for a race weekend, ship it there and win multiple championships and can't figure out their tire situation over the course of the entire 2007 MotoGP season? That's a crock!

You're telling me, that after the faux pas that Yamaha had all of 2006 that they're still fumbling around in 2007? Kawasaki and Suzuki are supposed to be the companies with exploding bikes; that was their M.O.! Not Yamaha, not Honda!

Rossi tried. He's grasping at straws at this point. His rumblings in the media are no different than Stoner whining in the media either. Not the mark of a champion? Indeed.

That being said, Hayden is the epitome of a champion -- didn't complain about his bike being broken for 50% of the 2006 season, didn't complain or tell anyone about his messed up shoulder, didn't even respond to Rossi's remark about Stoner's domination being different than Hayden's, saying it was more about the rider this year than last (insult!).

·
Registered
895 Posts
Well, I have to agree that Hayden has handled ALL the diversity this season with WAY more class than Pedrosa or Rossi. I'd say both Edwards and Hayden have been exemplary American riders, and really show CLASS.

They do follow the, keep the problems "in-house", and keep things low-key with the media, which I think should be an unwritten rule.

I empathize with Rossi's problems with the factory and tire manufacturer, and appreciate the frustrations it must be causing...but, there has to be a better way...I would think...unless things are REALLY bad and no one is listening.

As for Hayden's shoulder issues, those were well-documented leading into the season with his surgery and rehab being mentioned multiple times (I wouldn't say he never mentioned it). He just doesn't make a big deal of it. He works hard.

If you want to exemplify riders who don't complain about injuries, look no further than Tony Elias. Shoulder? Give me a break...the guy has a broken femur. One of the MOST important bones in the body, not just in SPORT, but in general well-being.

Hayden being the "Epitome of Champion" is quite an exaggeration in my opinion.

So far, there is a lack of class amongst the champions (Rossi, Stoner).

I would hope next season, with a more competitive race between factories, we'll see more class and less whining from everyone.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I agree... this whole tire issue and Rossi and Pedrosa complains makes me lose respect for these riders...
Bridgestone even initially rejected to supply to factory Honda and Yamaha because they want to keep competition alive...
In the last race, the Michelin held up well and Rossi set his best lap times in the later stages but he didn't storm through the field like he used too...
Pedrosa on Michelin might be a problem though... he is pretty much like Stoner in that he needs his front end feel more than others..

Makes me think how DePuniet will perform next year!

·
OG
19,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rossi On Bridgestones & In Separate Garage In '08
by staff
Sunday, November 04, 2007
This just in from Yamaha:

Sunday, 4th November 2007
Valencia, Spain

FIAT YAMAHA TEAM FINALISES 2008 LINE-UP

Following the conclusion of the 2007 season, Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd and Yamaha Motor Racing Srl are pleased to be able to confirm the final line-up of their 2008 Factory Team.

Seven-time World Champion Valentino Rossi and two-time 250cc World Champion Jorge Lorenzo will contest the 2008 MotoGP World Championship as team-mates in the Fiat Yamaha Team.

Yamaha can also confirm its plan to run Valentino Rossi on Bridgestone tyres in 2008, while Jorge Lorenzo will be racing with Michelin tyres.

In order to facilitate the use of both Michelin tyres and Bridgestone tyres within the Yamaha Factory Team and to ensure confidentiality of data for each tyre company, Yamaha will organize separate rider pit boxes, but the Fiat Yamaha Team will continue to operate and race as one team.

ENDS

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
Well, I have to agree that Hayden has handled ALL the diversity this season with WAY more class than Pedrosa or Rossi. I'd say both Edwards and Hayden have been exemplary American riders, and really show CLASS.

They do follow the, keep the problems "in-house", and keep things low-key with the media, which I think should be an unwritten rule.
Well said! I have also lost a bit of respect for Rossi with this issue. His whining got him his way, but his selfishness is breaking the team apart. What is the point of even being a team then if you can't share data and you are in separate garages? Imagine if Lorenzo kicks his butt next year on the Michelins.

H

1 - 20 of 26 Posts