Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Crash.net

Valentino Rossi has increased the pressure on Yamaha to produce an instantly-competitive 2008 YZR-M1 by publicly pondering a future switch to Ducati.
Rossi's existing Yamaha contract expires at the end of next season and, having lost the MotoGP title for the past two years - most recently to Ducati's new star Casey Stoner - the relationship between Rossi and Yamaha, which started so perfectly with world championship victories in 2004 and 2005, appears to have become more strained.

As part of his determination to win back the MotoGP crown, Rossi has left Michelin to join Stoner on bridgestone tyres in 2008 - forcing the factory Yamaha team to be split in two for next season - and, in an interview with La Gazzetta dello Sport, The Doctor hints that he is also be prepared to switch manufacturer if that's what it takes to return to the top.

"All the Japanese underestimated Ducati this season," said the former five times MotoGP world champion. "Ducati was intelligent and aggressive, and worked better. We were competitive with Honda, but they had the money and people required to catch up [to Ducati] more quickly, this is where Yamaha has been lacking.

"Yamaha has never had the quickest motorcycle but this year we were 15-20 km/h slower," continued Rossi, who lost second place in the 2007 world championship when his M1 suffered a technical problem at the Valencia season finale. "And every time we've tried something new it has broken. We need to make big changes to win the title again; we need more capable people and more money.

"I still have a lot of desire to fight, but I need tyres and a machine that are competitive."

But what if the 2008 Yamaha isn't competitive; could Rossi switch to Ducati or Honda?

"We will wait and see how the Yamaha, especially the engine, improves for next year. If it is not competitive then there is nothing more we can do... I have good relations with both Ducati and [former employer] Honda, but Ducati would be my preferred option because it is Italian."

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Rossi on a Ducati would be a dope combination. Actually, a better combination would be MOTO GP + Competitive Racing = Good Times

Let's hope for the best!!!

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Rossi on a Ducati would be a dope combination. Actually, a better combination would be MOTO GP + Competitive Racing = Good Times

Let's hope for the best!!!
Haha yeah true that, or how about MotoGP + Riders that complain about everything just because they arnt on top anymore = Good Times

Does anybody recall nicky hayden flipping out and crying every interview just because he got the shaft this season?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
^^^ Dude, I wish I coulda seen that. Didn't subscribe to the MOTO GP dot com season package cuz they gipped me last year.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Does anybody recall nicky hayden flipping out and crying every interview just because he got the shaft this season?
not once.

Rossi's being a real b*tch right now. threatening to leave, switching to B-Stone, changing the tire rules again.

what a disappointment. this is why i'm glad I root for Honda. Can't wait to see nicky and pedrosa in a few more months.

·
Administrator
51,151 Posts
I do not think he is really bitching so to speak he is simply trying to
light some fire in the Yama's camp and get them to do some development

·
Registered
895 Posts
Haters will be haters.

Rossi pretty much laid it out clearly. Honda has more resources to catch up to a surging Ducati.

Yamaha doesn't.

He's asking for more support in terms of Yamaha and their MotoGP division. It's apparent Yamaha doesn't really see MotoGP racing as an integral part of the business. They're content to just sell bikes for the street, without any real winning in the premier class.

Basically, they're hurting financially, and it's clearly effecting their factory team and it's ability to catch up to other manufacturers (e.g. Ducati, Honda).

I would like to see racing: COMPETITIVE!

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Haters will be haters.

Rossi pretty much laid it out clearly. Honda has more resources to catch up to a surging Ducati.

Yamaha doesn't.

He's asking for more support in terms of Yamaha and their MotoGP division. It's apparent Yamaha doesn't really see MotoGP racing as an integral part of the business. They're content to just sell bikes for the street, without any real winning in the premier class.

Basically, they're hurting financially, and it's clearly effecting their factory team and it's ability to catch up to other manufacturers (e.g. Ducati, Honda).

I would like to see racing: COMPETITIVE!

Ahem, but they have THE!!! resource.... the ROSSI!!!! And they need to make sure to pay him his 30 million euros a year for racing motorcycles AND make him win by spending even more money to make his bike better then everybody elses :toothy12:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Rossi. Gotta love him. I love my wife too. On occasion, it has been appropriate to tell her that she is being a whiney bitch.
+1
I lost some respect for rossi when he switched to bridgestones, esp since burgess wanted to stay with michelin. if he goes to ducati esp after he told them no once, i'd have to say thats the pinnacle of band wagon jumping.

Honda should have more resources. They have more yearly sales than Kawi, suzuki, and yamaha combined (per that issue of RRW with the kawi factory tour in it).

·
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD c
27,367 Posts
farken eh! bro it would be dope!!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Well one of the reasons Rossi left Honda was to prove that the rider made the difference. What happened to that? Now is he saying the bike makes the difference and that's why Stoner beat him?

Of course I think that if Stoner were riding the M1 and Rossi the GP7 things would have turned out differently but Rossi chose Yamaha and one of Yamaha's weaknesses is that they are not a "pursue technical superiority at all costs" company like HRC or even Ducati. Rossi just chose the wrong factory.

Truth is that in the long run HRC typically comes out on top. Even though they thoroughly screwed up on the RC212V at first, they've come roaring back while Yamaha has merely treaded water.

I guess from Stoner's standpoint maybe it would be a cool challenge to beat Rossi on the same bike. At the same time apparently it was Rossi who blocked Stoner from being signed to Yamaha in 2006 so it would only be Stoner returning the favor.

For Ducati I think on one hand its a good thing for them that they've proved they can win without Rossi. On the other hand having Rossi on the team would be worth big sponsorship bucks and would move a lot of bikes. Could you imagine a Rossi edition 1098R?

I guess time will tell but if Melandri has a bad year next year he might catch a boot to the derrière 1 year into his 2 year contract.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yer dreaming if you think he's going back to a honda. If he's going anywhere it will on a Ducati and not until '09.

·
OG
19,115 Posts
Well one of the reasons Rossi left Honda was to prove that the rider made the difference. What happened to that? Now is he saying the bike makes the difference and that's why Stoner beat him?
"Ducati and I had ambitions which overlapped, but we disagreed on the role a rider should have in developing the bike. For me, its all about the rider, he has to guide the team, after all, hes the one who has to take the bike to victory. And therefore, the bike should be made to measure based on his needs and his characteristics."
Valentino Rossi

The rider is important, we know that. Stoner and Caparossi had the same bike and tires, but they werent really close in the championship. because of Rossi's talent and ability he made the Yamaha win 4 time this year. his parts and tires failed and he couldnt control that...

·
Registered
591 Posts
"Ducati and I had ambitions which overlapped, but we disagreed on the role a rider should have in developing the bike. For me, its all about the rider, he has to guide the team, after all, hes the one who has to take the bike to victory. And therefore, the bike should be made to measure based on his needs and his characteristics."
Valentino Rossi

The rider is important, we know that. Stoner and Caparossi had the same bike and tires, but they werent really close in the championship. because of Rossi's talent and ability he made the Yamaha win 4 time this year. his parts and tires failed and he couldnt control that...
Yeah but he can control who he rides for and no one forced him to choose Yamaha. Had he stayed with Honda or chosen Ducati he'd be the 6 or 7 time Moto GP champion.

·
OG
19,115 Posts
Yeah but he can control who he rides for and no one forced him to choose Yamaha. Had he stayed with Honda or chosen Ducati he'd be the 6 or 7 time Moto GP champion.
he originally chose to go with Yamaha because.. at the time ran their GP program that fitted his needs and wants.. he considered Ducati, but they ran their program very similar to how Honda ran their, which was what he wanted to get away from.. he admits that he could have stayed with Honda and won more championships, but he wasn't happy there

·
Registered
895 Posts
he originally chose to go with Yamaha because.. at the time ran their GP program that fitted his needs and wants.. he considered Ducati, but they ran their program very similar to how Honda ran their, which was what he wanted to get away from.. he admits that he could have stayed with Honda and won more championships, but he wasn't happy there
Exactly! I see you've read his autobiography as well :)

For those people who are so quick to pass judgment and hate upon Rossi, I'd advise them to actually pick up the book and read it. He goes over many things that so called "arm chair" motogp "experts" have postulated and supposed.

All I can say at this time is that I am very anxious to see what the 2008 season will bring with the new breed of talented riders (youngblood) and the championship winners of old challenging for another title.

Should be interesting.

I'd like to see the next season be more about the racing and not the bike/tires/parts.

We shall see...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts