Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this one good to go? Says " Energized Protection".
Is this the one everyone is using or the none diesel Rotella T6.

Thank you.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Not sure about the diesel or non-diesel part of the question but you want 10w-40 NOT 5W-40, unless you ride in below 40 degree weather. If you only ride in 80+ degree weather then might wanna look into 10w-50.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It looks look this one but the lower right corner says heavy duty diesel engine oil instead of heavy duty engine oil.

Is that one in the pic diesel, just not labeled? I can only find Rotella t6 labeled
with diesel at Walmart and Canadian tire. Just wondering if its the same stuff.

·
Registered
183 Posts
It looks look this one but the lower right corner says heavy duty diesel engine oil instead of heavy duty engine oil.

Is that one in the pic diesel, just not labeled? I can only find Rotella t6 labeled
with diesel at Walmart and Canadian tire. Just wondering if its the same stuff.
The shell rotella T line are all for heavy duty trucks / diesel. the T6 specifically is fully synthetic, not a blend. So, technically, it is a diesel engine oil. As long as it's T6, you're good to go. I use it on my cars and esp the RR ( a lot of people here uses it too)

·
Registered
685 Posts
+1 for T6, been using it a while and its nice and smooth.

T6 is perfectly safe to use in motorcycles. 5w-40 is just fine for this particular application. if you live somewhere where the temp gets up to 110 or something like that, oil isnt your main problem and youd have shorter oil change intervals no matter what you use.

get the T6 5w-40 and call it a day, cant go wrong with it. cheap, readily available, and very good stuff.

my jury is still out on hte purolator filter. im having concerns about the relief valve rating..

·
Registered
389 Posts
T6 is fine. It's a great product that's reasonably priced.

If you want to cheap out the 15w-40 Rotella conventional in the white bottle is fine too a long as you use it in the summer. It's arguably the best conventional oil on the market today.

They're both JASO-MA rated.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I use it. Works great. I am not paying the outrageous price for Amsoil when this works just fine...but I dont know crap about nothing so

969 Posts
I use it. Works great. I am not paying the outrageous price for Amsoil when this works just fine...but I dont know crap about nothing so
Please tell us how AMSOIL is "outrageously" priced. ( I love to hear the reasons people create in their own minds to justify such a statement)

As far as T-6 or any Rotella... Are they good oils ? Yes they are. Are there better oils on the market ? Absolutely !

Whether it states it or not on the container, Rotella is primarily marketed for Heavy Diesel Engines. It does carry a self-imposed JASO MA Rating which means it is wet clutch compatible. This does not mean it is a Motorcycle Specific oil but can be used in any application with a wet clutch, even a conveyor gear box as long as the API Ratings are met.

Just because Rotella has a JASO MA Rating, does not mean ALL Diesel oils do so beware. If the JASO MA or MA 2 is not on the label, look for the API SG or SG/SH or CG/CH. It is usually not recommended to use SH or higher or CH or higher unless the MA Rating is present.

Bear in mind that Rotella does not have specific Anti-Wear Additives for the transmission on your bike or, Anti-Rust Inhibitors for storage which should be present for non-riding periods exceeding 2 weeks.

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The filter is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
BOTM Winner 09/12 Repsol DaRizzo And Don't U Forg
17,681 Posts
Amsoil is $15 bucks a quart around here, I switched to the t6 just to see how it is, if I don't like it I'll switch back even though it's expensive

1 - 20 of 172 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.