Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Ive searched everywhere and cant seem to find anyone that has had this issue. I just picked up this 05 CBR 600RR and previous owner added some washers to one of the calipers because it was rubbing the center hub rings. Both calipers/rotors have this weird wear. Can someone help me figure out this issue?? You can see the rotor is not fully contacting the pads and you can also see the washer. The pads were also hitting the rotor to hub rings. Thanks in advance.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Vehicle brake

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It appears that he put the wrong rotors or pads on the bike. My guess is you have 320mm rotors on there, instead of the 310mm OEM rotors.
Thats kinda what i was thinking. I just wasnt sure the caliper would even mount if the rotors were oversized. The left hand side doesnt have the washers there and it looks the same. I might try and measure the rotor tonight and see what it is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It looks like you are missing a spacer where your calipers mount? the top one is missing. That is making your pads rub on the floating washers too.... Ensure you have the correct spacers as your pads will sit lower and cause this to happen to your dics.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It looks like you are missing a spacer where your calipers mount? the top one is missing. That is making your pads rub on the floating washers too.... Ensure you have the correct spacers as your pads will sit lower and cause this to happen to your dics.
From what i can find the 05-06 do not have spacers. The shiny lower piece is a washer previous owner added. The top one has has it also its just dirty. lol. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The rotors have a 10mm difference between 600rr & 1000rr (310mm vs 320mm) and the calipers and brake pads are the same/cross-compatible which is why 5mm spacers are used on 1000rr. You can try to verify what size rotors you have and you would need either: 1) 310mm rotors, no spacers, correct pads, or, 2) 320mm rotors, 5mm spacers, correct pads. Personally I’d thoroughly clean the calipers and replace the pads for good maintenance after verifying what you have.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The rotors have a 10mm difference between 600rr & 1000rr (310mm vs 320mm) and the calipers and brake pads are the same/cross-compatible which is why 5mm spacers are used on 1000rr. You can try to verify what size rotors you have and you would need either: 1) 310mm rotors, no spacers, correct pads, or, 2) 320mm rotors, 5mm spacers, correct pads. Personally I’d thoroughly clean the calipers and replace the pads for good maintenance after verifying what you have.
Thanks for the info. I looked up the 1000rr rotors to verify the rotor design and i dont believe they make them in this design so im pretty sure they are stock 310mm rotors but im gonna measure them this weekend once my stands come in. Im starting to think its a pad issue bc you can see the lower part of the pad hanging down past the caliper, i dont think thats normal.

If i was to just add the correct (new) pads would the small area of the rotor that hasnt been used for a short period cause an issue. I can barely catch it with my finger nail but it does catch. Would it possibly just wear that spot quick to even out with the rest of the rotor??

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the info. I looked up the 1000rr rotors to verify the rotor design and i dont believe they make them in this design so im pretty sure they are stock 310mm rotors but im gonna measure them this weekend once my stands come in. Im starting to think its a pad issue bc you can see the lower part of the pad hanging down past the caliper, i dont think thats normal.

If i was to just add the correct (new) pads would the small area of the rotor that hasnt been used for a short period cause an issue. I can barely catch it with my finger nail but it does catch. Would it possibly just wear that spot quick to even out with the rest of the rotor??
I looked at mine last night - it's your pads. They are definitely hanging down past the calipers way too much. Mine don't stick out past the calipers at all. I have a 2005 with 2013 calipers, but they use the same pads.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I looked at mine last night - it's your pads. They are definitely hanging down past the calipers way too much. Mine don't stick out past the calipers at all. I have a 2005 with 2013 calipers, but they use the same pads.
Awesome, Thank you so much for checking that out for me. I will order me some new pads and get that fixed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Automotive tire Finger Nail Thumb Engineering

Automotive tire Pliers Finger Auto part Slip joint pliers

@cbrider73 you are awesome. The pads were way to big. Lol. I have no idea why previous owner would do that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any identifying information on those pads? I'm curious to know what bike they're intended for.
No. There was nothing on them to show where they come from. The pin gap length was identical. It was just about a half inch taller hitting the floating pins. So maybe from a 1000rr since those have the larger diameter rotor??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
234 Posts
No. There was nothing on them to show where they come from. The pin gap length was identical. It was just about a half inch taller hitting the floating pins. So maybe from a 1000rr since those have the larger diameter rotor??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not likely, there's overlap for the same calipers & pads between the 600rr and1000rr for some years. If the pads were made to fit another radial Tokico caliper then it could be a large number of bikes. I suppose we'll never know.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts