Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm a new cbr600rr rider and I have a strange question. I recently noticed a faint rotten smell around the bike but I can't quite pin point it. I've read a few places that it's a sign of a battery that's getting overcharged so I took the battery out to see if I noticed anything strange. I saw a tiny bit of corrosion but other than that nothing that strange. So I out the battery back in started the bike up and measure the voltage at idle. It measure around 14 to 14.5 and the battery at rest measure at about 13.5. Is that too high? If so what component needs to be replaced? Thanks ahead of time!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Is the bike always smelling or is it just when it's on, it may just be something in your exhaust when you start the bike the hot gases cause tHe smell??

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Are you sure you didn't run over anything?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Check the headers and bottom of exhaust pipe and see if there is any roadkill or debris on it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Sorry to tell you man, but it sounds like your bike might have died. Start arranging funeral services and looking for another bike.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, I don't always notice the smell and even when I do I can't quite pinpoint it. I just did a little google searching and had a bunch of stuff come up about overcharging batteries. Just wondering if anyone had experience with overcharging batteries on a cbr600rr. I washed the bike really good and I'm hoping it was just a nasty puddle or something!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sorry to tell you man, but it sounds like your bike might have died. Start arranging funeral services and looking for another bike.
I'm afraid CombatWombat is right.... lol

Like it was said earlier check the underside of your bike for any animal parts. Or if you have friends that like to play sick jokes, inside you exhaust

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com App

T

·
0 Posts
14.5 volts charging is ok, try doing the same thing, measure the voltage on the battery while its in the bike with your multimeter but this time rev it up a bit, watch the multimeter, it should not go too high or have any spikes, im sure there is a spec but if it shoots up to 16 17 volts or higher id be concerned, the regulator rectifier is what controls this and would need to be replaced if it is over charging. do this test to rule out the possibility of over charging. if it is not over charging and the bike is all working fine, dont worry about it.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Do you park ur bike outside or is it garage kept? Sometimes little critters climb up into the intake or anywhere else that is warm on the bike and die there. Just saying, could be the case here.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
coolant smells rancid.
thats not true.... if your were burning coolant it is a sweet smell... ignore that comment... and what does the smell, smell like? rotten eggs? what year MC cause thats a good sign that your cat is starting to break down or become clogged... if you have one... otherwise i would bet you do have something stuck inside your exhaust burning or something go stuck to the exhaust and is melting slowly

1 - 13 of 13 Posts