Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story - I'll make it as quick as possible.......

So it is a beautiful day out today so i figured i would go out for a nice ride up around saratoga, ny. I am just putting along on rte. 50 doing roughly 62-64 (55mph zone) when I see this mini-van kinda going a little fast into a stop sign coming from a side road. He wasn't going so fast that i didn't think he "couldn't" stop, so i slowly roll off the throttle just in case. Well he definitely stopped at the sign, but just as soon as he stopped he started to take off to turn onto the road that i was traveling on. At this point i am guessing I am only approximately 150-175 ft. from the intersection. I immediately jumped on the brakes pretty heavy, locking up my rear tire. The ass end of my bike was sliding left, right, left, right and then finally just at the last possible second i was able to swerve to the left to avoid him. I did end up crossing the double yellow line to get around him because he ended up stopping 3/4 of the way accross my lane. I am very thankful that there was not another car coming the other way of i would have no doubt sunk my bike into his driver door rather than hit a car head on. So, as i manage to snake around his van i begin to try to pull off to the side of the road so that I could give this guy an earful, but I realized that somehow my bike had stalled out. I am not sure how because i am pretty sure i had the clutch in the whole time. (does this normally happen if you lock up your brakes??) While i was trying to limp my bike to the side of the road the kid took off like a bandit. I noticed he was very young. Maybe 17-19. He was probably "almost" as scared as I was. So I take a couple minutes to gather my composure and I continued on my ride. The rest of the ride I was almost too overly cautious every time i saw another vehicle pulling up from a side road. Eventually i am on my way back home traveling down a very narrow twisty road when all of a sudden bam, a bee hits me in my neck falls down under my jacket and my shirt and stings me in the chest. So i proceed the beat the **** out of my self pounding my chest trying to kill this SOB. Of course i didn't manage to kill it so this thing is buzzing around under my shirt and there is absolutely nowhere for me to pull over. (guide rail was literally 1ft of the white line), so i proceed to punch myself in the chest, ribs, stomach until i didn't feel it anymore. meanwhile a car drives by staring at me like i have 3 heads. About a 1/2 to 3/4 mile down the road i spot a driveway and pull over. Pull my shirt out and there falls out a yellow jacket. If that is not bad enough, I am mildly allergic to bee's and I am roughly 1 hr from home. Obviously i made it home and am doing just fine. I think i am going to spend the rest of the day sitting on the couch and relaxing. Thanks for reading and DRIVE SAFE!!!

·
Registered
903 Posts
I've been riding for.......41 years and the best thing to do is to assume that the person IS GOING TO PULL OUT IN FRONT OF YOU.......and when they don't, you are still OK and not having a n aw **** moment!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is anyone here severely allergic to bee's? and do you carry and epipen with you when you ride? might be a good idea!!!!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I got a wasp in my helmet one time... Worst experience of my life whole left side of my face was swollen for two days and hurt so Dam bad

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and whats the deal with my bike stalling? I am 99.9% sure i had the clutch in the whole time. happened pretty quick so i cant say for sure. If i didn't have the clutch in wouldn't the bike try to come to a complete stop? (in gear and clutch not engaged)

·
Registered
178 Posts
is anyone here severely allergic to bee's? and do you carry and epipen with you when you ride? might be a good idea!!!!
I am real allergic to bees, I was mowing the yard one day and my shoes was covered in grass so I took them off and went to pick up my shirt in the yard and bam it got me, so I set in the house thinking I would be ok ( didnt have a pen anywhere around the house at the time ) and then I felt like I couldn't breath so I drove myself to the hospital. So I have one at the house now but never carry it on me

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a friend that carries hie epipen EVERYWHERE with him.
On a sidenote, glad your ok and avoided the collision, sometimes the confrontation with the idiot that caused the mishap that you WANT to happen is best left alone...too many crazy mofos out there these days. You def did the right thing by pulling over and getting your mindsety right before carrying on. Good on ya.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a bee sting me right in the face once. Im not allergic but it was one those slow motion things. I see it coming, it hits my face and it felt like it was 3 mins before it stung me.

As for the stall it most likely happened because you didnt downshift from probably 4/5th gear (if your cruising) in the panic and let the clutch out a bit and the motor stalled out.

But I wouldnt lock up my rear wheel, you loose control and it takes you longer to stop. Trust in your front brakes, smooth but firm pressure will not have you flipping over the bars.

Like someone said always assume they wont stop, if you only have a single lane to ride in ride in the left side of it. When you see a car at the intersection/stop sign coming from the right. And vice versa if they are on the left.

Here in Fl people are notorious, pulling. One time I was on a pretty slow road and watched a guy come from the parking spot, drive about 30 ft to the road wait and look at me then he pulls out when im about 50ft from him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts