Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had any issues w/ the bike but all of a sudden (after the bike warms up) the idle has begun to surge (no problems at all on the throttle). To say its a rough idle would be an understatement. When just on idle in first gear cruising around it actually jerks about. At first I thought I was running out of gas but the tank was full. I got some new plugs from AutoZone, but I've now read in the forum that they shouldn't be changed until 32k miles??? This is a stuntbike though, so the maintaince is done early and often and I have no cluster to determine the current miles.

Do you think my diagnosis is correct, or should I try other things first??? Example- FI additive, gas additive, ect.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Was your problem ever figured out? I'm currently doing a search on lumpy or funny idle issues for my 06RR. Hasn't been an issue while riding, but just isn't smooth at all while idling. I hesitate to use cleaners in the fuel system, 'cause I dunno if it will negatively affect anything.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Could be a bad coil pack, feel your headers and see if any are cool when the bike is on or after it has been running..

·
Registered
99 Posts
Could be a bad coil pack, feel your headers and see if any are cool when the bike is on or after it has been running..ide
Will do... and let ya know. Wish I had my laser thermometer!

However, wouldn't a misfire be somewhat violent? The idle isn't real rough, just up, down, up, down, up, down... about 250rpm wave. I will get video as soon as the weather clears and time for a ride is available.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Plug fouling, could be a lot of things, just something easy to check for. Bad gas as well.

·
Registered
404 Posts
My bike does the same thing.
Lumpy idle like it has a small cam!
Been that way since I got it.
If you crank up the idle to 1450 (stock is 1250)
then it gets smooth. I don't like it like that though.
~1300 for me...

I thought it might be the mapping on the PC3, along with my Akra system and racefilter/modded intakes...

The bike runs like a raped ape so I never thought it was a problem
Could be a vacuum leak though, that's what they do....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts