Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
is it because there is about 3.5 qts of oil in an engine that is only 599cc and my car has 5qts for 347ci the oil does not get used as much in the bike 5qt for 5 litters to 3.5 qts for a little over 1/2 litter
your car does not use the same oil to lubricate the engine, transmission and clutch.
there are other factors as well, but these are the major ones.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
mxrider i looked at the link you had then thought about looking into amsoil here is what they say about it -Amsoil guarantees their Signature Series Oil in normal service – up to 35,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first in vehicles that are currently under factory warranty as well as vehicles that are no longer under warranty. would u let ur car go 35k miles on one oil change ....no because the manual says 3k or 5k i dont believe much that comes out of oil companies mouths who i do believe is the engineers that make my engine who say 8k for oil changes

·
Registered
913 Posts
RP oil won't hurt the motor....if it has hurt a motor.....it wouldn't be on the shelves...everyone has their favorite oil and they will try to persuade you to use their brand....any kind of synthetic oil for motorcycles is good to use...

·
Administrator
51,154 Posts
I got a simple suggestion for you call Honda and ask them they made your bike and do what they suggest as far as all the answers you got on top just decline them all why none of the lads got a clue of what your asking about

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
OP, I really dont know why you made this thread as you really didnt listen to what anyone said. Just because Amsoil says an oil can go for 35000 miles doesnt mean thats what you have to do. However what you "think" has not been backed up by proof, and what they say has.

RP oil won't hurt the motor....if it has hurt a motor.....it wouldn't be on the shelves...everyone has their favorite oil and they will try to persuade you to use their brand....any kind of synthetic oil for motorcycles is good to use...
no one said anything about it hurting a motor, all I said is there are better options available for less money.

·
BOTM Winner 03/13
3,143 Posts
read my first post here, I gave the actual test data in the link.
Yeah, I'm sure there was at least one thread on here a while back where some guy used Royal Purple and that was the route of some mechanical problems (of what nature, I can't remember). Might be talking nonsense though. I would search for it if I could be bothered! It certainly doesn't perform well, against recognised competitors, in the tests you linked to.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
The OP is a mustang owner I am guessing from his username. The equivalent to a chromed, stretched gixxer.

Do you really think he's going to listen to anything we have to say?

·
BOTM Winner 03/13
3,143 Posts
The OP is a mustang owner I am guessing from his username. The equivalent to a chromed, stretched gixxer.

Do you really think he's going to listen to anything we have to say?
If he has taste and owns this kind of Mustang, then possibly:

He probably owns this type of Mustang though ('94):

In which case, yes, you are probably correct. Our advice may have been wasted.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
lol yea i have a 68 mustang and a 94 mustang that is my drag car i think i have been turning wrenches more than any of u

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
i called honda today and they told me to follow what the owners manual said 8k or 12 months on oil changes

·
Registered
821 Posts
lmfao!! this is too funny

even funnier that people are starting to talk about work on cars, just because someone wrenches on there car more then another person doesnt mean your any better at understanding how something works at a molecular level

and being a drag guy you should already know all the ******** oil companys spew and should understand that when you spend the 12 bucks on the royal purple instead of the 5 on castrol gtx, your just paying for the color additives and the marketing prices

i have yet to see any real hard evidence that shows that any kind of synthetic or "fancy" oil is any better then the regular dino ****

my buddy and my engine builder/tuner whos been working in the buisness for over 30 years even told me hes seen no differences in wear patterns

and he can spot an engine thats run with and without premix

oh and before we play the what do you drive/work on game i own 2 of these:

one is an 87 beater, the other above is a 94, and i do this kind of work on my spare time:

cheers :)

·
Registered
755 Posts
I love seeing these oil threads. Anyway you don't wanna take everyone's advice? umm ok good luck buddy. This was covered to DEATH everywhere from cars to bikes and they all have a similar result. Oil protects your engine and in the case of our 600rrs your tranny shares the oil with your engine. You a want super simple explanation as oil breakdowns it protects less. Oil breaks down faster the more you beat on the vehicle. You want the best bang for your buck on oil SEARCH there are a million independent tests on this. Don't forget your oil filter is just as important. To put it in perspective I use Amsoil with an over sized mobil 1 filter. Lastly for yourself check your oil window your oil should be gold (except royal purple), if it's black then it's contaminated and breaking down simple as that. Wanna keep riding with that oil ummm ok go ahead I'm not gonna argue with you. The facts are everywhere use the info as you like. Also I guess I have a good butt cuz as the oil breaks down so does performance and my "butt dyno" feels it. When I feel the power lose sure as $h!T I look down and see I've riden 1,500 to 2,000 since my last oil change. Might be me being crazy but who knows. In conclusion change your oil when every the hell you want and with whatever oil you want. The tests on oil and oil filters are all over the net use the info to your advantage or don't. I don't care. Good luck.

·
Registered
666 Posts
^^+1 i usually go about 1500 to 2k miles as well just because the bike feels like its just not right. i would rather splurge on $15 oil and save my $8000 bike. i have also heard a couple people mention royal purple messed up their motorcycle engines. just get amsoil or mobil1. its a safe bet that plenty of racers and track goers use. As far as 8k miles go, thats just retarded.

969 Posts
mxrider i looked at the link you had then thought about looking into amsoil here is what they say about it -Amsoil guarantees their Signature Series Oil in normal service – up to 35,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first in vehicles that are currently under factory warranty as well as vehicles that are no longer under warranty. would u let ur car go 35k miles on one oil change ....no because the manual says 3k or 5k i dont believe much that comes out of oil companies mouths who i do believe is the engineers that make my engine who say 8k for oil changes
It is UP TO 35K and is not Gauranteed in every vehicle... Besides that, it is confusing the issue even more on a MOtorcycle site.

So, we can use the same analogy for Fram filters then? They are on the shelf so they won't hurt the engine . I know of engines where the cardboard came apart in the Fram and clogged the oil passages thereby starving the engine for oil and seizing it. I have also seen Fram filters with holes in the media almost the diameter of a pencil. Another just recently where the media was not crimped properly allowing unfiltered oil to flow through the engine.

Not that I am disagreeing with you about RP even though it is a Crap oil, just the analogy used.

i called honda today and they told me to follow what the owners manual said 8k or 12 months on oil changes
Honda or Honda Dealer ? Big difference. Also, if it was Mother Honda, they should specify that those are not the Severe Service limits. Severe Service limits, which should be followed in all situations, according to the API, is 50% of what is listed.

and being a drag guy you should already know all the ******** oil companys spew and should understand that when you spend the 12 bucks on the royal purple instead of the 5 on castrol gtx, your just paying for the color additives and the marketing prices

i have yet to see any real hard evidence that shows that any kind of synthetic or "fancy" oil is any better then the regular dino ****

my buddy and my engine builder/tuner whos been working in the buisness for over 30 years even told me hes seen no differences in wear patterns

and he can spot an engine thats run with and without premix
Paying for color additives and marketing ? Although RP is not a great oil, there is a lot more to it than color and marketing. The Ester base stocks are quite expensive.

No evidence ? There are reports abounding about synthetic oils and their use. Corvette, Viper, Prowler, Porsche, BMW, Mercedes and other OEMS recommend Synthetic oils and in fact, some require synthetic oil to maintain the warranty or an extremely shortened drain interval must be used.

Warranties on engines, transmissions and rear diffs have been extended due to synthetic oils.

353,000 miles may not be a lot, but let's see you do that on 25,000-35,000 mile drain intervals. My work van has. Over 220,000 on the EAO 4D tranny and still shifting solid as a rock even after towing heavy loads in OD. Oh crap, I forgot, I was running a Non-recommended fluid.. LOL

How about a Chevy work van with over 920,000 miles on it ? All on 35,000 drain intervals..

Let's see you do that on a petroleum.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

21 - 40 of 49 Posts