Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

RS-5 exhaust for the 03-04 CBR600RRs...

2066 Views 14 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  RRpilot
...in carbon fiber as well...instead of just having stainless steel/polished and titanium. I e-mailed the folks at Yoshimura about how I would be interested in buying a carbon fiber exhaust version of the RS-5 and here is what they had to say...

Loren,
Due to the cost of producing a sleeve for the RS-5 in carbon, we
decided not
to offer one. We felt that customers would not want to pay the high
cost.
You are the first to inquire about a carbon sleeve. If we get enough
interest we will look into offering carbon.
Best regards,
Yoshimura Sales Team

----- Original Message -----
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2004 12:31 AM
Subject: RS-5 exhaust for CBR600RR

> I had a question about your RS-5 exhaust for the 03-04
> Honda CBR600RR. I noticed that it comes in titanium
> and stainless steel... but will there ever be a
> carbon fiber RS-5 exhaust for the 600RR? I would
> really be interested in buying one if there are plans
> for one this year. Along with other CBR600RR fans out
> there. :) Thank you.
>
> Loren Thomas

So here I am asking people if you are interested in a carbon fiber RS-5 exhaust for our bikes, e-mail Yoshimura and hopefully they will develope one. Thier e-mail address is... [email protected]
Thanks everybody. :) Peace
See less See more
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
I wonder how much more it would really cost.
They said it would cost more and people wouldnt want to pay the extra money but I don't see how it could cost that much more than the titanium and SS pipes they make already.
Dont do it. You would be very disappointed in the long run. I was involved in developing the RS-5 as much as my bike was the test bike for the production versions of slip-on and full system. Here is one of the major problems with carbon and why the really decided to not make one. Look at the shape of the RS-5 can and you will see that it has a complex shape, 4 sides in a trapizodial shape, with rounded corners. To make carbon fiber meet these complex sides and shape it would be thicker and more expensive to make. Long term longevity is a big concern as the shape makes it more suseptible to cracking. Also the internal baffle packing must be replaced so often, that taking the can apart would more than likely cause damage and breakage, which then Yosh would maybe have to deal with. In then end Yosh would not be able to make a quality product that would last and satisfy it customers.
So is it like this with any other carbon fiber exhaust? If so, I might just stick with titanium or SS then.
...no I think it just has to do with the Yosh shape...
RRpilot said:
Dont do it. You would be very disappointed in the long run. I was involved in developing the RS-5 as much as my bike was the test bike for the production versions of slip-on and full system. Here is one of the major problems with carbon and why the really decided to not make one. Look at the shape of the RS-5 can and you will see that it has a complex shape, 4 sides in a trapizodial shape, with rounded corners. To make carbon fiber meet these complex sides and shape it would be thicker and more expensive to make. Long term longevity is a big concern as the shape makes it more suseptible to cracking. Also the internal baffle packing must be replaced so often, that taking the can apart would more than likely cause damage and breakage, which then Yosh would maybe have to deal with. In then end Yosh would not be able to make a quality product that would last and satisfy it customers.
Thats some great info...thanks.....
T-Rock said:
So is it like this with any other carbon fiber exhaust? If so, I might just stick with titanium or SS then.
Yea, the yosh is huge...and not round like most of the exhaust.
Thank you for the information RRpilot... and knowing is half the battle. *input cheesy smile* I guess I will look towards getting a Jardine if they ever make headers for the slip-ons or sell a full system.
Does antone have a sound clip of the slip on? I think I came across one but it was in a garage, the door was open but I still think it effected the sound.
G
RRpilot, Sweet info. I wondered why they werent offering a CF. Thanks for sharing.
RRpilot , Sweet info. I wondered why they werent offering a CF. Thanks for sharing.
No prob, Nice having insider info,plus I'm just here to add my 1&0's to the hyperhiway.
1 2 NV said:
Does antone have a sound clip of the slip on? I think I came across one but it was in a garage, the door was open but I still think it effected the sound.
Hey Champ,
I've got the SS Slip-on, and it sounds the part. If your are still keen I can get you a sound clip (i've borrowed a Handy Cam from work and it picks up sound pretty good). I've had a heap of compliments about it too :oops: , I just they'd compliment my sub-par riding skills! :roll:
T-Rock said:
My f3 came with a two bros carbon fiber slip on. while i absolutely LOVE that exhaust, i know i dont like the two bros for the RR i am eventually getting. I want a Yoshimura, titanium... Full system or not is the question.

my point is, the carbon fiber on my f3 has degraded in quality. it has a crack in the back from a drop where the exhaust met the rear passenger peg. if it were metal it would be a dent. but now it's an exhaust leak.

crash # 2 my bike dropped on the exhaust side in a parking lot, it ripped the muffler clear out of the 6 rivets that hold it to the flange. had it been metal i doubt it would have ripped out of the flange. so now there are 12, yep 12 rivets holding that bitch in place.

it looks great, sounds great, but i wont ever buy another carbon fiber pipe.
dviii, Also great info. So T-Rock to answer your question basically yes any CF can will have longevity problems, they are almost throw away cans after 3-5 years.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.