Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys
I just got back from riding about 20 miles around town and as i got closer to my house i realized that there was a slight rubbing noise comming from my front wheel. It wasnt full though, it was only in one spot for like a half second. So i took it around the block again going slow to see if it was the brakes, Which i dont think it is because i grabbed the breaks slightly then harder repeatedly to see if the rotors were warped at all. There was no tight spots or loose spots when i did that so im kinda lost and i dont know what it is, have any of you guys/girls experianced this? what do you think it is?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Get the front off the ground and spin the front wheel. Instead of purchasing a front stand, I suspended the front of the bike at the trees by a ratchet strap hanging from the girders in the garage. Very stable when the rearend is on a stand.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont have a front stand or a rear stand. Purchasing one soon though

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes, ive noticed the same grinding scraping noise on mine. It does it just after i get hard on the front brakes, then let off slow. I pulled over and checked the pads thinking id find a stone or pebble lodged in between the pad and rotor, but nothing. It's intermittant, and bugs me when it does it. I checked for rubbing cables too when i turn forks slow. not that either. Wierd.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm, I just got done riding through some water right before i turned into my neighborhood, wonder if that could have something to do with it. Ill ride first thing tomorrow morning to see if it is still happening

·
Registered
223 Posts
my bike does that too, i talked to the dealership about it and they said it's just the breaks getting broken in, and should stop after the first 1k miles, but i've got 1600 on mine now and it still does it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have the same problem, but the front wheel seems to spin freely. ( I have done 1.3k miles). Might take it down to the dealers 2moro see what they have to say. Not too concerned as it only happens every now and then, and does not seem to have a detrimental effect on the bike, as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
252 Posts
BaldBastard said:
I have the same problem, but the front wheel seems to spin freely. ( I have done 1.3k miles). Might take it down to the dealers 2moro see what they have to say. Not too concerned as it only happens every now and then, and does not seem to have a detrimental effect on the bike, as far as I can tell.
Let us know what the dealer say about the noise, because I'm having the same issue with my front brakes. It sounds like the rotor are warp or something, but it comes and goes.
Not really sure if it's anything I should worry about.
I already have 3000 miles on it.

Anyone else is having the same issues?

·
Registered
365 Posts
It's normal. What it sounds like you are hearing is the contact between the pad and the rotor. Different brake pad compounds can make different noises. Since the rotors "float" and the pads slide there will be contact between them at some point. If your concerned about caliper pistons sticking, pads not "pushing out" or glazed pads you can clean/flush the brake fluid, take a scotch brite pad and clean your pads and rotors(just a nice brush up), use brake cleaner and Q-tips and clean all the brake dust from the caliper and piston surround(easy around the piston seal), and lightly and really I mean lightly dab a little super thin film grease on the pad pins to help them slide. You don't want a ton of grease to drop down between the pad and rotor.....not good times.

Oh yeah don't squeeze the brake lever if the rotor is not between the caliper/pads....

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea I took her out this morning to see if it was still happening and sure enough it was. It doesnt effect anything that i can tell either, im not if it has always been making this noise though.

BaldBastard - Let us know what the dealer says about the noise. Thanks a lot!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
mine sounds ridiculously loud, think i might upgrade the rotors and pads

·
Registered
199 Posts
the on/off sound isn't good though - a constant rubbing is better

lean your bike up on the stand, and ask a mate to spin your front wheel - if the rotor's warped, that's where it'll suddenly stop

1 - 18 of 18 Posts