Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my bike I was expecting things to be much worse. I Have been pulled over 4 times. 3 out of the 4 times I dealt with police that were actually good people.

1st stop:
I was sitting at a red light on northern blvd around the queens/long island border. I was side by side with my dad on his bike and we were talking. A cop came in the opposite direction, stopped right next to us in his left lane of moving traffic and pretty much demanded our id without even getting out of his car. He then told us to pull to the side of the road and wait for him. To make a long story short, he ended up writing me a ticket for "No facesheet" because my visor was up at a red light while I was talking to my dad. He said he saw me riding with it up but he didn't. He also just came right out and said he was under pressure from his bosses to target motorcycle riders for "all offenses possible" This one was the 25 percent minority dickhead.

2nd stop:
I was riding with my girlfriend on the back and my dad on his bike. We were pretty much ripping down the Long Island Expressway service road westbound by the Queens/Long Island border. it is usually a 45mph speed limit but in some places it goes down to 25mph which is ridiculous but anyway we were playing around, accelerating hard and all of a sudden over a slight hill and around a turn there was a cop standing in the middle of the road pointing a radar gun at us. We both braked hard but it was too late. My dad passed him on the left side and me on the right and we literally blew this guys hair back(well I guess if he wasn't wearing a hat. He clocked me at 71 and my dad at 61. We both pulled over up the road and the officer got in his car and drove over to us. Once this guy checked our papers and saw we were legit he asked why we were going so fast. I told him I had a flight to catch in 2 hours. He smiled and told me that wasn't much of an emergency. He then quickly wrote us both for 45 in a 25. This guy was a true gentleman and a fellow rider I believe.

3rd stop:

I was going to gas up near my house and saw a friend I used to ride dirtbikes with. He was on a bicycle. I pulled over and we talked for a minute. A cop car comes out of nowhere and stops in front of my parked bike, blocking it. 2 cops get out and ask us what we are doing and they want papers for the bike. One of them was being argumentative and nasty right off the bat for no reason. They check my papers and then tell me they saw me put something in my mouth. I asked if I could put my hand in my pocket and then pulled out the tic tacs. That was enough for them. They didn't run my license or search me. AT that point one of them started asking about the bike and saying how clean it was and it cant be a 05. Nice dude....His partner was a angry little bastard. Overall good experience though.

4th stop:

I had a meeting at my sons school yesterday and ended up taking him home with me unexpectedly. I live less than 5 minutes from the school and he was not feeling well. I gave him my helmet and took the least busy roads I could. Halfway home a cop came in the opposite direction and lit it up right away. I pulled over and he pulled up right next to me in the opposite direction. He said to me "what am I going to ask you" I told him I didn't know I was going to have my son on the bike, didn't have his helmet and he is sick so I'm taking him home. Had to give him my helmet. Now I know I should have made him walk, but he was sick and I felt bad so I took a chance, gave him mine and rode without one. The cop said two words" go slow" I never even shut the bike off. He turned around and followed me home with his lights on. I know this dragged on and on but I hear a lot about bad cops targeting bikers. Maybe I have gotten lucky so far. I would like to know what some of you guys have experienced regarding the police and your bikes. Let me know. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
You got lucky!!

I never encountered a "bad" or angry officer here in Spain.

I did have a "nice" discussion with one of them last year, he was also a rider.

I was driving recklessly (admit it) on the highway after getting desperate over a cage driver who had spent the last 15 kms on the left lane with an empty highway and me behind him signallling him to let me pass.

Officer: "Do you realize why I stopped you"

ME: "Off course Officer, I did an overtake on the right lane"

Officer:" That's right"

ME: "I know you are going to fine me and I admit I'm at fault but since you've been behind me for the last 10 kms, didn't you happen to see this car not allowing any overtaking?"

Officer: "Yes I did"

ME: "Why do I get a fine and he doesn't?, what he did is also against the law and forces other drivers to overtake on the right, he's been monopolizing the lane for the past 15 kms"

Officer:"Yeah I know, well, things are like this"

He fined me for the lowest thing he could, but still felt sweetsower...

·
Registered
881 Posts
Well I have never been pulled over on my bike... Knock on wood! Lol

But I actually gave my first ticket to a motorcycle a few weeks ago 96 in a 70. I was going to work with him but he was straight rude with me. Started bitching right off the bat, thought he was some hard core Harley rider. I'm probably one of the nicest cops out there, but once your rude to me it changes the game.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Well you can take a guy off the Harley but you cant take the Harley off the guy. I keep telling my dad.
Lol very true... I tried being cool with the dude he was saying that I didn't know nothing about bikers and I said I ride a bike. I told him I ride a sports bike and he laughed and said only bitches ride sports bikes. I'm sure he is enjoying that $300 plus ticket.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Cops are humans. They're just doing their job and following their rules which they've been trained with. A few may be influenced or have some sort of bias for one reason or another, but overall, they are good people and just trying to make life more safer and peaceful for all.

I used to look at cops as bullies aiming to boss people around with their authority and privilege. Now that I reflect back, I was being ignorant and naive for having that mindset.

I just try to be a fair citizen - I appreciate the freedom around me... You just have to learn to respect it at the same time - and the officials only help you realize it, that's all.

Happy motoring!

·
BOTM Winner Jan 2015
1,960 Posts
I went 110mph past a cop that was pulling out of a side road. Totally thought I was screwed so I tried to disappear. I had to stop at a read light and he pulled up next to me. I was scared as hell and never looked over. Can't believe I didn't get my ass handed to me. I was being an idiot.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
but overall, they are good people and just trying to make life more safer and peaceful for all.
!
Never move to southamerica... Jajajaja

Since I grew over there (ARG) I fear any cop, After 13 years in Europe I started trusting them a little...

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
I would like to know what some of you guys have experienced regarding the police and your bikes. Let me know. Thanks
Never been pulled over in 3 years on my 600. Was pulled over for a RBT on my 250, got a $100 fine for having a blue LED in the little front light instead of white.

·
Registered
314 Posts
It all depends on how you act towards the officer and if you're doing something to endanger other people.
It's a big difference going 100MPH on a road by yourself with noone around versus people driving in their own vehicles.
Most officers are level headed and are very reasonable, but there are a few that are gung ho about handing out tickets.
Source - I am an officer and I'm about as fair as they come. If I gave you a ticket that'd be taking away from your track day money. Keep the fast riding on the track :laugh:

·
Registered
479 Posts

But I actually gave my first ticket to a motorcycle a few weeks ago 96 in a 70. I was going to work with him but he was straight rude with me. Started bitching right off the bat, thought he was some hard core Harley rider. I'm probably one of the nicest cops out there, but once your rude to me it changes the game.
:surprise:....COP ALERT!!!

·
Registered
479 Posts
I went 110mph past a cop that was pulling out of a side road. Totally thought I was screwed so I tried to disappear. I had to stop at a read light and he pulled up next to me. I was scared as hell and never looked over. Can't believe I didn't get my ass handed to me. I was being an idiot.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Did you have a stock exhaust at the time?

·
Registered
346 Posts

I've never been pulled over on my bike, but probably 12-13 times in a car over the years with only 2 tickets to show for it - including city police and troopers. My secret was to always be polite to the officer and admit what I was doing and why they pulled me over. I have always heard the "admit nothing", "make them show you the gun", etc bs but I'm a smart person that has trouble saying "I don't know" because I always do.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts