Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently heard that running a higher than recommended octane fuel can actually cause excess carbon build-up on the valves?

Can anyone confirm or truthfully refute this statement? I have never head such a thing, but I don't know for sure.

I have read in the owner's manual that 87 octance fuel is recommended, but I have always used 93 octane.

What does everyone else run?

Thanks for the input.

Dan

·
Registered
544 Posts
i personaly will use 89, just becuz it is a nice middle grade, also, i only fill up at amoco, bp, shell, citgo, and other fuel shops. I have heard from people that gas from convenience marts is lower grade of fuel, not the stuff from actual company's like i listed above!!!!

Tim

·
Registered
336 Posts
Use the lowest grade gas that does not make your engine knock. It's really simple. Higher octane gas does not make you faster. Being a better rider makes you faster.

·
Registered
211 Posts
ok without turning this into a flame :roll: let have little look at the issue.. high octane (lower flashpoint, higher efficency fuel)
VS
low octane (higher flashpoint, less efficient fuel)

the higher the octane the more work can be produced per litre of fuel, thus it burns more effieciently....ie less carbonation more power, we are riding machines with a high compression ratio thus we do have a need for a higher octane fuel.
It's really simple. Higher octane gas does not make you faster. Being a better rider makes you faster.
this is true but higher octane fuel gives less carbonation, less emmisions better milage, better throttle response and a guarantee that no matter how much load you place on the motor you will have no detonation.

just my $2.02

1 - 5 of 5 Posts