Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

In the Honda manual it says not to use full throttle and be restrained with it for the first 300miles.
However the first service is at 600miles it says nothing about what revs I can take it round to so I'm not going any higher than 6k.

Do you think after the first service I can then open her right out or should I wait till its done nearer 1K.

This is the first honda I've had and just want to make sure I get it right.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
there is no problem using "full throttle" on a brand new bike. in fact, the way to break in the bike properly is to be constantly running it through its full range of revvs. if you are an experienced rider, take her out to the twisties and flog her. i believe in a hard break in. much better than constant revvs/highway riding. don't be afraid to take her up to redline, don't be afraid to run her through the rev range over and over again, but if you are a new rider, be careful, don't ride at or beyond your limits, and wear all your gear.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
there is no problem using "full throttle" on a brand new bike. in fact, the way to break in the bike properly is to be constantly running it through its full range of revvs. if you are an experienced rider, take her out to the twisties and flog her. i believe in a hard break in. much better than constant revvs/highway riding. don't be afraid to take her up to redline, don't be afraid to run her through the rev range over and over again, but if you are a new rider, be careful, don't ride at or beyond your limits, and wear all your gear.
Not everybody uses this method to break in a bike, although I did... if you do break in a bike with hard riding I would change the oil quite a bit in the early miles. Here is the reference, I would highly recommend you read it bud ;) This is also a MUCH funner break in!
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

·
The AC (Ambidextrous Club) Unite! #001
1,866 Posts
I don't believe in breaking her in hard but I also don't believe in being a pansy ass and never getting her out of 3rd gear for 600 miles. Honestly, it's unrealistic. Unless you plan on riding through town for days on end never getting out of 3rd gear. I've had 3 new Honda's and all have gone through the same break in. The first 150 miles I wouldn't take her past 6000rpm. after that, nothing more then 11,000 for another 150 miles. at the 300 mile mark I gave it to her. I've never had a problem **knock on wood** with my bikes breaking them in this way.

·
Registered
33 Posts
100 miles to scrub the tyres & bed in brakes & your good to go according to my dealer. Personally, I didn't thrash the motor until it had it's first oil change.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I think you should just ride it like you would normal but don't redline it or go over 9K. You have to understand your not only breaking in the motor but everything less.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks,

I actually only have 100 miles to go now anyway but I wanted to make sure its safe to open her up and it seems so.

Cheers Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts