Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I posted this in the maitnence section and I decided it would probably fit better in here. So anyways, I was burning the oil off my headers today after doing an oil change. I was holding the engine revs at about 5k and noticed that the headers were glowing where they meet the head. I know this happens on occasion but I didnt think that it would happen while holding at 5k rpms for about a minute. I know that high exhaust gas temps are either a product of running lean or rich(I cant remember), Im hoping this is either normal or Im running rich because I dont have the cash right now to pay for maitnence, or even a PC and tune. Anyone have any helpful insight?

·
Registered
83 Posts
If its running lean, it will run hot... Hard to tell, revving the bike at 5k standing completely still might make it that hot normally....

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Do you just have a slip on or a full system? High heat generated by your motor is a symptom of running lean, I think...How does your exhaust pipe look? Is it black and sooty? You can also try and rev your motor after its warm and put your hand by the exhaust and feel the air...If you get cold bursts then it's running rich (I know that works with 2 strokes, I assume 4's are the same)...Someone double check me..

I'm in the painstaking process of jetting my superhawk and I've been reading so much stuff about carbs and running rich and lean, vacuum, venturi...blah, blah..And all from different sources, so I'm trying to sort out which stuff is true and works and doesn't...

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just have a slip on, and I have never noticed it do this until now. The bike has been sitting for about 2 months now, just had new plugs put in and a K&N filter. Since I havent actually ridden it with the K&N do you think this could be causing a lean fuel mixture, maybe the ECU hasn't completely adjusted to the extra air yet?

·
Registered
523 Posts
if it is running lean the exhaust will be hotter check the tail pipe what color is it? how is the engine temp? i know if you put headers on a car they will get red hot but dont know if its normal on a bike.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the engine temps are normal, it was sitting at about 198, the tail pipe has a regular amount of black carbon in it, it doesnt look like anything out of the ordinary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts