Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys run no heat shield on the exhaust? Since i put an after market slip-on on the bike it took of the heat shield off for the muffler but what about taking off the one for the pipe? Ive seen some photos with the bikes without it including the botm on the front page but id be worried about burning my pants/boots/leg. Any of you guys who run no heat shield give me your run down of how hot it gets and if youve ever burned anything.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Run it fine on my '03, even made a bracket for rear res and have it mounted near where pillion pegs are.

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Rear res. This was just before I removed heat shield. But been running fine without it.

Edit: picture didn't seem to attach.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've actually looked into this a little bit so I could run integrated turn signals with the heat shield off. My local Honda dealer let me know that aftermarket exhausts aren't too bad with the heat, but running it with a stock exhaust probably isn't the best idea (which is what I have unfortunately).

Then again.. My local Honda dealer doesn't have the best reputation around the area lol

·
Registered
72 Posts
Even with my textile pants and a-star smx5 boots i still feel the heat. I still felt it on a 90 mile 60 degree night ride home. I've got a yoshi pipe btw.

This thread is starting to make me feel paranoid if something is wrong with my header pipe. haha.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The heat does creep up a bit when it is warm here in northern california. Since the slip on takes the heat shield off the cat, that is likely where the heat is coming from for me.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Not to brag or anything, but I got rid of my stock flimsy aluminum heat shield years ago and hand forged a 6al4v titanium alloy one which is lighter, thicker, smaller, stronger and follows the same half hex three bend pattern of the upper plastic shield. Oh yeah, and IT ACTUALLY WORKS, and much better than hondas heat shield. It's kind of hidden and tucked away, but it was a great project and it has a smooth beautiful brushed finished which matches the brushed swing arm exquisitely well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not to brag or anything, but I got rid of my stock flimsy aluminum heat shield years ago and hand forged a 6al4v titanium alloy one which is lighter, thicker, smaller, stronger and follows the same half hex three bend pattern of the upper plastic shield. Oh yeah, and IT ACTUALLY WORKS, and much better than hondas heat shield. It's kind of hidden and tucked away, but it was a great project and it has a smooth beautiful brushed finished which matches the brushed swing arm exquisitely well.
Pics? Would love to see what you did.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts