Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I jus recently got the tripage IT and in the process forgot to get a plate bracket. I have been runnin no plate and cops have pulled up behind me and have done nothin. A bunch of my buddies never run a plate and never get pulled over for it. Anyone else have bad luck or get pulled over alot for no plate? Jus curious. Getting a plate bracket has been my number one priority lately but now I'm not sure

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
I LOVE MY BIKE
692 Posts
I believe 90% of the time it's out of place out of mind. Now I have had my plate flipped got chased had no plate like you nothing. So would say it and miss.

Now If you decided to run no plate you better be prepared to run.

And I in no way shape or form am telling you to run no plate, I am actually going to do the opposite, get the bracket.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
621 Posts
I believe 90% of the time it's out of place out of mind. Now I have had my plate flipped got chased had no plate like you nothing. So would say it and miss.

Now If you decided to run no plate you better be prepared to run.

And I in no way shape or form am telling you to run no plate, I am actually going to do the opposite, get the bracket.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

So true, I would get the bracket. If everything else is legal why cause maybe something that can get yourself a lot of issues? also u can run if u get rolled up on getting gas. Your buddies might only go out and "mobb" or group ride. If u daily ride a lot get the bracket! Only a matter of time.

·
Registered
760 Posts
http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=287309 <<< This is what I did. If you still have your factory plate bracket it takes all of 10 minutes to modify and another hour maybe to get it situated. Yes that is my bike and it was super easy to get done. the only thing I put money down on was 4 nuts and bolts and 2 LED plate light bolts. (very last post is what I am trying to show you)

·
Registered
258 Posts
At least keep it under the seat. If you get pulled over you can tell the officer it just fell off.
That actually happened to me and I got pulled over in Maryland. Cop gave me a warning. Then again, I also got a warning last year at bike week in Maryland for in-proper tag placement. I guess cops there like pulling sportbikes over. he said my plate has to be behind the rear wheel. V-Rod Muscle comes stock with a swingarm flip plate bracket....

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya. I'm thinking it's prolly not worth it not to run it. I'll prolly jus go with T. The DIY bracket isn't bad but the plate looks weird all bent up like that.

·
Registered
342 Posts
translate your reg number to arabic...no f*cker will be able to translate neither will speed cameras ;) then you're running a plate when you might as well not, best of both worlds

plus in the US im sure the cops will stay well clear of an arabic plate *wink wink nudge nudge* hahaha
As long as you don't mind showing up on some CIA list somewhere, sure.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is what I'm leaning towards right now. Anybody have an idea on the difficulty of the led install to I don't have to ask T
http://tripageled.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=42_61_69&product_id=115

·
Registered
264 Posts
My roommates plate bracket broke and he rode around for awhile with his plate in his backpack. I thought for sure he would get pulled over for it but he rode for about a month without anything. Then about a week after he put the plate back on he ended up getting pulled over for speeding. He got lucky it was after he put it back on.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Zip tie it on there for now. Better than nothing. I'm sure T. can get you a FE in a few days if you order it quickly.

To that end, I know cops look at them in TX because I got pulled over for an out of state plate last spring.
My roommates plate bracket broke and he rode around for awhile with his plate in his backpack. I thought for sure he would get pulled over for it but he rode for about a month without anything. Then about a week after he put the plate back on he ended up getting pulled over for speeding. He got lucky it was after he put it back on.
On my old bike (08 1000rr) I did a combination of what these guys are talking about. I zip tied the plate to the outside of the backpack. Had many rides with no problem. But out in the twisties cops with nothing better to do would harass me for the plate not being " permanently affixed to the vehicle." after the second or so fix it ticket I was forced to mount it under the tail. I tried to explain to the cop that it was far more visible on my backpack than tucked down by the rear shock but he didn't care. Moral of the story, this should be used as a short term solution and not an extended period of time

·
Registered
264 Posts
On my old bike (08 1000rr) I did a combination of what these guys are talking about. I zip tied the plate to the outside of the backpack. Had many rides with no problem. But out in the twisties cops with nothing better to do would harass me for the plate not being " permanently affixed to the vehicle." after the second or so fix it ticket I was forced to mount it under the tail. I tried to explain to the cop that it was far more visible on my backpack than tucked down by the rear shock but he didn't care. Moral of the story, this should be used as a short term solution and not an extended period of time
Haha that backpack idea is actually really good but as you said I doubt it would fly with a cop.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Here is what I'm leaning towards right now. Anybody have an idea on the difficulty of the led install to I don't have to ask T
http://tripageled.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=42_61_69&product_id=115

I did this before, the install is not that hard. The hugger comes with two leads coming out and you have to feed it under your seat and then basically find a wire that is constant power on (brake running light) and a ground and connect. The LEDs are bright and light up the plate really well.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Ya. I'm thinking it's prolly not worth it not to run it. I'll prolly jus go with T. The DIY bracket isn't bad but the plate looks weird all bent up like that.

My plate is thrashed like that because I caught air over a cattle guard and compressed the **** out of my rear. (didnt have the suspension set up for my fat ass then)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I got my bike about 250 miles from where I live and rode it all the way home with no plate. Saw plenty of cops but never got pulled. I also heard that they don't mind as much if you can prove that you just purchased the bike, now what your case is though. Makes me think if the same cop sees you twice without a plate you might be in a bad place.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I say its a stupid risk to take if you're legal. I have the same tripage IT and had my plate mounted like normal. But didn't realize it sunk down hiding behind my tire when I was on it making it harder for cops to see. A cop noticed and pulled me over less than a week after. He was nice and we chatted about how to fix it (just need to use the bottom mounting holes on the plate so it sat further up). I can't image all cops being this nice. I also know he was checking to see if I was legit (insured, endorsed, etc.) which I am.

Fix it or expect to get pulled over.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
663 Posts
Ran no plate riding between St. Mary's GA and Jax FL regularly, never had a problem.

I lost my plate, came out one day and it was gone but I hand screwed the nuts on my FE so I'm sure it fell off somewhere between the two points. Finally put the plate it came with back on (hope it isn't under the dudes name still) and will, at some point, get to the DMV and get a new one. Should be $40.

·
RR Noobie!
150 Posts
well even if you get pulled over .. you will only get a fix-it ticket ... $25 once you get your plates on and have a cop sign off ... so you can continue riding with no plates until then. lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts