Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for the past few weeks Ive noticed that after riding my clothes smell profusely of exhaust. I noticed it, but never really thought much of it, but yesterday one of my more mechanically inclined friends was standing behind the bike when i started it and he told me that I'm burning oil like crazy. He said he can tell by the smell of the exhaust. I revved the bike but saw no black smoke and the oil level hasn't seemed to drop in the last few months so I'm not sure I believe him, but there is certainly a distinctly strong gas/oil smell in the exhaust so I'm guessing I must be running rich.
Is there anything I can do/check to figure out what the problem is for sure? and how would I go about fixing it?

thanks

·
Registered
247 Posts
is it time for an oil change? If I go long without an oil change my 03 starts smelling like that but doesnt smoke or use oil

G

·
That is normal. Since the exhaust is under the tail, when riding or stopped, exhaust gases will come back and get on your clothing.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^i dont think its normal, ive had the bike for a long time now and the exhaust smell just started a few weeks ago

·
Registered
901 Posts
ask anyone who rides one of these they all make u smell like exhaust . if it was burning oil there would be smoke and some oil missing . your friend might not be a mechanically inclined as you think lol . ive owned an 600rr since they came out in 03 and ive always smelled of exhaust . ask my gf .

·
Registered
225 Posts
if there is no smoke dont worry about it exhaust smells. if it is smoking u can tell by the color whether its oil or it too much fuel. blue smoke is burning oil. black is too much fuel/rich

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
is it time for an oil change? If I go long without an oil change my 03 starts smelling like that but doesnt smoke or use oil
damn i dont know how i missed this post, but yea an oil change is over-due (will actually be doing it next weekend), can that actually be the reason?

and i know a bit of exhaust smell is normal on the clothes, but im talking like 4 hours on a 2-stroke pocket bike type of exhaust smell on the clothes now lol

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
happens to me too. may very well be time for oil change but i smell like i just got off a snowmobile when i get home from riding. figured thats just the way it is.

·
Registered
821 Posts
If you were "burning oil like crazy" you'd have less and less oil... which does not describe your bike.

We all stink! I call it 'Eau De Octane'.

·
Registered
267 Posts
LOL !

You smell like exhaust not only because of your bike, but because you ride in traffic behind cars. Quit being paranoid. Do your oil change. and just ride your bike. We all smell like exhaust.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you were "burning oil like crazy" you'd have less and less oil... which does not describe your bike.

We all stink! I call it 'Eau De Octane'.

LMAO. Normal really, every bike I've owned and most of them were new, when I come in the house after a ride my wife always says I smell like exhaust/oil/gas. Just part of it I guess. Part of the reason I hardly ever take my bike to work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts