Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I started my bike up the other day and it sounded way different than the last time I rode it, exhaust had a deeper tone almost like a V-twin and the bike is running rich.

there is no FI code, could it be the spark plugs or fuel regulator? it also kind of stutters when I try and start it up

I only have about 5,000 miles

I took a couple videos so you can get a better idea of the sound and the startup, my pants also caught on fire today from the exhaust!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Damn man that's crazy.. sorry. So it just started act up for no reason?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Definitely doesn't sound right. Have you done any work to the bike recently? When was the last time you rode it? To give the rest of the readers a better idea of the problem, can you also post any mods on the bike (Power Commander or anything like that?).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Huh, I actually like how it sounds! Though the revving sounded a little weak...

Are you sure it's running rich, have you checked the plugs or is the exhaust all sooty?

Checking the air filter would be a good first step.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Dead coil or spark plug etc... get yourself a laser thermometer and measure your header temps, the cool one is the one with the problem.

You should be able to get one of these nice and cheap.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definitely doesn't sound right. Have you done any work to the bike recently? When was the last time you rode it? To give the rest of the readers a better idea of the problem, can you also post any mods on the bike (Power Commander or anything like that?).
Last time I rode it was two weeks ago and it ran just fine. I did have an FI error a couple weeks before that (for the idle air control valve) but I just forgot to plug it back in when I replaced the throttle cables.

I don't have a power commander but I put a BMC air filter in recently along with hrc throttle cables. I have noticed that the fuel gauge has gone down quite a bitter faster than usual and the exhaust smell is strong. I don't have a heat shield over the exhaust pipe but it seems to be hotter than usual (being that my pants caught on fire) but the engine temp never went over 200 degrees.

Nico, where can I find one of those laser testers?

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Last time I rode it was two weeks ago and it ran just fine. I did have an FI error a couple weeks before that (for the idle air control valve) but I just forgot to plug it back in when I replaced the throttle cables.

I don't have a power commander but I put a BMC air filter in recently along with hrc throttle cables. I have noticed that the fuel gauge has gone down quite a bitter faster than usual and the exhaust smell is strong. I don't have a heat shield over the exhaust pipe but it seems to be hotter than usual (being that my pants caught on fire) but the engine temp never went over 200 degrees.

Nico, where can I find one of those laser testers?

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=laser+thermometer&_sacat=0&_odkw=laser+thermometer&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Jump on ebay and type in 'Laser Thermometer' you will get heaps of results.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
501 Posts
def check all the plugs. sound like a plug or plugs not gettin spark.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
he definitly has a dead hole ... i wonder if thats whats causing all the heat in the pipe? cause thats some SERIOUS blueing going on there...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
he definitly has a dead hole ... i wonder if thats whats causing all the heat in the pipe? cause thats some SERIOUS blueing going on there...
dead hole?

do you think the time I rode the bike before plugging the IACV back in could have blackened up the spark plugs? being that it messed with the air/fuel mix.

timeline:

- replaced throttle cables

- I rode it for a couple hours for one day without the idle air control (forgot to plug it back in)

- found the problem and rode for one day, everything worked fine

- now it runs rich, mid-pipe hotter than usual, seems like it lacks power (maybe one of the cylinders isnt running?)

p.s. when i first put on the titanium akra, i also had the heat shield covering the midpipe for a couple months, that caused the baked blue color, although it does seem bluer than normal

·
Registered
501 Posts
dead hole = no spark in a cylinder

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
also on another note..you have a slip on or full system? and which bmc filter did you put in?

since you have an akra and a filter, it might be time for a power commander or some other fuel managment system too. could be running rich/lean..

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Dead coil or spark plug etc... get yourself a laser thermometer and measure your header temps, the cool one is the one with the problem.

You should be able to get one of these nice and cheap.

so i picked one up at Sears for like 40 bucks, took the bike around the block and checked the temps of the four header pipes

from my perspective standing in front of the bike i will go left to right from 1 to 4:

1 - 120 degrees
2 - 200 degrees
3 - 220 degrees
4 - 220 degrees

exhaust midpipe was about 140 degrees

^
SuperWario:

its a titanium slip on with BMC filter for street (not race)

it wasnt running rich at first from those upgrades, so i dont think they would make that drastic of a change. i probably should invest in a power commander next tho

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
so i picked one up at Sears for like 40 bucks, took the bike around the block and checked the temps of the four header pipes

from my perspective standing in front of the bike i will go left to right from 1 to 4:

1 - 120 degrees
2 - 200 degrees
3 - 220 degrees
4 - 220 degrees

exhaust midpipe was about 140 degrees
so now you know you need to check connections on injectors, plugs and all that good stuff on #1

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well i found out what the problem was without taking much apart!

somehow that white connector above the spark plug was mysteriously disconnected... either the plug got unclipped all by itself after the "everything's fine" ride a couple weeks ago or my douche bag bi-polar roommate reached in between the fairings and unplugged it... i'm thinking the latter

seriously!?, how easily can those connectors come undone by themselves without crashing the thing?

plugged that back in and she sounded good as new, although the electrical was still acted up. dash kept restarting, checked the battery and the positive terminal was loose.

now everything is good as new! for now...

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Good to hear!

Those plugs definitely wont come out on their own if they are in properly, but its easy to not get them in, and subsequently have them fall out...

The hot mid pipe will have been caused by the un-ignited fuel from #1 burning up in the exhaust...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good to hear!

Those plugs definitely wont come out on their own if they are in properly, but its easy to not get them in, and subsequently have them fall out...

The hot mid pipe will have been caused by the un-ignited fuel from #1 burning up in the exhaust...
do you think i could have melted the ceramic substrate inside the catalytic converter from only running on 3 cylinders? it got pretty damn hot

1 - 20 of 28 Posts