Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well there is a place I go to work everyday.
The problem is there is a turn lane for it.
It has a Red turn arrow, so i cant just go when no cars are nearby.

So Sometimes I get lucky with a car coming up behind me. One time I sat through 3 green/red cycles feeling like an idiot.

So instead of waiting for a car, the alternative is that I just go make a Uturn. However its almost 1.5 miles to next uturn and its a scary uturn as there is almost 0 real uturn room(waiting room) your like 2 feet from oncoming traffic and 2 feet from cars coming up behind you.

It just sucks.

So my 4 choices are

1/ Run the red turn arrow light(its red turn arrow because of students in area, but when I go to work, there is never a single person in the area.)

2. Sit there like an idiot has the people in the normal traffic smile and laugh at me as I wait there through multiple times it skipping me and HOPING that a car 1 day comes up and triggers it

3. Add an extra 5 minutes ontip a 15 minute trip and backtrack and have dangerous uturn issues.

4.spend $40 on one of those sensors that may or may not work on this light.

suggestions? what does everyone here do?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
If you have to wait at a red light for more than one full light cycle, because your bike can't trigger the light, usually you are allowed to proceed through, granted the coast is clear.

Check local laws, but most places let you run through...

·
Registered
847 Posts
I was going to say the same things as above. There is a light turning into the CHP office here in San Diego that doesn't trip on the cop's bikes so they have to run it after it cycles through a light cycle.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was planning on doing that but not sure where to look.
or Should i just go find a cop and ask them, especially if I see a motorcycle cop which I barely EVER see parked anywhere.

Are you allowed to approach a parked cop if hes in the vehicle? I always feel like if I do they will think I'm going to attack them and they will draw their gun. haha

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was planning on doing that but not sure where to look.
or Should i just go find a cop and ask them, especially if I see a motorcycle cop which I barely EVER see parked anywhere.

Are you allowed to approach a parked cop if hes in the vehicle? I always feel like if I do they will think I'm going to attack them and they will draw their gun. haha

It's my understanding, where I live anyway, there is a 2 cycle rule. Provided you wait and the coast is clear, your story and appropriate attitude should get you on your way. Indeed you can approach an officer, keep your hands out of your pockets though ; )

·
Registered
78 Posts
if you can shed 40 than why not try it its only trial and error on what you can do

you have them cool bike cops who understand and then there are the old school **ckers who want all us younger generation to learn the right way.

but SL-ReDDoG said it good, have a good attitude about it, and let him know whats up and than take off..

·
Registered
122 Posts
talk to your city about adjusting the light sensor. i had one like that, the city worker asked me to meet him at the light and he adjusted it. i itold him of two other spots and he said lets go there now and adjust them. the guy was cool.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I feel you on this one. I usually go the extra .2 miles to make a U-Turn and I'm lucked out that it has a turning lane. On the other hand, the stop light at the merging point coming onto the freeway never turns green; 10/10 times that I stopped. It was a nice smooth 360 turn with a red light that doesn't turn green, so I usually gun through it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
talk to your city about adjusting the light sensor. i had one like that, the city worker asked me to meet him at the light and he adjusted it. i itold him of two other spots and he said lets go there now and adjust them. the guy was cool.
I would try this first. I had a sensor near my house that sucked, I called the city and they had it adjusted within a week.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i only weigh about 170lbs and on certain streets ive had problem with lights so when i come up to them i pulse my brakes pretty hard about 5 times within 50 feet before i stop and i stop really hard. Not safe at all to do if there is traffic around you or slippery road but if theres traffic you shouldnt have a problem with the light. Works for me. I even tested it by coming to a stop normaly with even brakes and the light would jsut stay red while cars all had there multiple turns

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'd sit through a cycle then ride through if it was clear. +1 for the positive attitude, you'd be surprised how far dropping the "I'm a badass" attitude goes with a cop.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts