Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all..recently the bike was dropped and my swingarm spool was bent up and put a small hole in the swingarm..i want to replace it to be better safe than sorry..but my dad said we could probably just send it off to a welder and have it re-welded, i know welding aluminum is a pain in the ass..but do u think it's safe to weld the hole up or just replace it?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I have no clue but while you have your swinc are at the welders tell them to make it a single side swing arm. That would be sweet on the RR

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well it didn't break off the place for the spool to screw in..it just bent the spool back up into the swingarm and put a small hole in the swingarm

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
actually..forgive me stupidity..i just went back and looked at the swingarm..my dad had told me it put a hole in it..but in fact when it bent the spool up..it broke the weld around the spool..i just tried to pry the spool down to see the dent it put in the swingarm and the whole spool bracket snapped off..

·
Registered
907 Posts
agreed i'm sure you can find someone semi-locally who can weld aluminum.

·
Registered
787 Posts
kinda off subject, but i just got a used swingarm off of ebay and i notice there are holes on the swingarm with hard yellow stuff inside of it, what is it ? its normal right ?

btw, i got it for 50 bucks shipped, a little scratch but im gonna powdercoat it anyway so it doesnt matter

·
Registered
362 Posts
Aluminum is not that big of a pain to weld. It doesn't sound like it will effect anything structurally on the bike. Weld it.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
You need to find someone that does TIG welding. If you would have to pay someone to swap out the swingarm for you welding it would be cheaper, however if you are a DIY kinda person you could probably get a used swingarm for the same price a welder would charge you.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Swingarm does have a hole in the bottom and the yellow stuff is the filler that they spray in..

·
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD c
27,367 Posts
tig it!!! no problem... most engine rebuilder/engineer shops will have tig sets, there must be one local....

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Pit Bull welded swingarm tabs on my F4i's swingarm for free and they obviously know what they're doing

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i'm gonna do what i can to get a pic up here to show you guys how big the hole is to see if anyone here changes their mind on thinking i should weld it..i need to wait til my dad gets home so i can use the camera to take it..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts