Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if local hardware stores like Home Depot or Lowes carries Safety Wire Pliers? I know you can order them online but I wanted to try to get some before the weekend.

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
you might get lucky here in FL they do not carry them call the stores man before you waste your time and gas just my 0.02 cents good luck

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Probably not in a home center but surely there are some bike shops near by that would.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Yeah, right :) You're lucky if a bike shop carries them...

·
Registered
334 Posts
you don't absolutely need the pliers, you can twist the wire on with your hands. Pliers is just faster thats all ;-)

·
Superbike racer
6,177 Posts
javawhz said:
you don't absolutely need the pliers, you can twist the wire on with your hands. Pliers is just faster thats all ;-)
yeah and i don't need a chick for sex but it sure as hell makes it more enjoyable

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
I would think you would need pliers... the lock wire I use is stiff as hell.... and it would be hard on your fingers and wouldnt get the correct twists in the wire... Put hey more power to you!! If you just do it with your hands... lol

·
Registered
799 Posts
BigTuna said:
yeah and i don't need a chick for sex but it sure as hell makes it more enjoyable
I was thinking along the same lines LOL. I can just picture, 5 minutes before the race and you're there trying to grab the wire with pliers and twist it... yeah, that won't be frustrating or anything. :)

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
CCSEX122 said:
Yeah, right :) You're lucky if a bike shop carries them...
A dealer on the west side of town has them and I think Indy Superbikes has them. (5 min from the house :) ) I would think SoCal would have shops that have them. Maybe not??

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the info and links guys. That's wierd, I didn't get any notifications that people posted to this thread.

Anyways, I'll call around for local shops and if no one has it, I'll order it online. I just found some on ebay too so I'll be contacting sellers to see if I can pick it up before the weekend.

All the help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just picked up a set of safety wire pliers from ebay and it didn't come with instructions on how to use them. Anyone have some info and pics on how to use it? I got these.

I tried searching for instructions on the internet but couldn't find any. Thanks for anyone's input.

·
What ever its supposed to be....
907 Posts
Practice practice practice. I just got some off ebay as well, and it still seems like a pain in the ars even with the pliers. One of the guys at Jennings recommended using a combination of R-clips and saftey wire for easy install and removal. I just need to get a jig for the bolts to make a nice straight hole that the clips will go thru. In the wera rulebook there are a few diagrams that may help.

predikt said:
I just picked up a set of safety wire pliers from ebay and it didn't come with instructions on how to use them. Anyone have some info and pics on how to use it? I got these.

I tried searching for instructions on the internet but couldn't find any. Thanks for anyone's input.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks gbord. yeah, I need to figure out how I'm going to drill those holes too. I've read about putting the bolts into a vice grip but I don't have or have access to a shop. I wonder if I can just drill the bolts while attached on the bike...I can imagine that would be difficult for certain angles.

Are these the R-clips? http://www.bare-co.com/files/general/g20usa.htm

You don't happen to have a picture of how that guy from Jennings wired his do you? I'll try to figure out the pliers but just looking at them right now I don't see how the wire attaches to the middle portion for twisting.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I see, I just found this: http://www.rc51.org/wire1.htm . I assume you just grab the wire with the safety wire plier and twist. The middle mechanism on the plier just gives a lock and a base to twist the wire from the middle. If that's the case, why wouldn't just needle nose pliers with a strong grip do the job?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts