Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I know there's threads out there but my computer is busted and I'm using an iPod to post so I can't search I'm fiddling trying to set my suspension right and I'm getting a sag reading of 38.1 for the front haven't done the rear yet using the sportrider articles equation. Now if I'm correct on top of the forks is how to adjust the preload to lower this number correct? And to keep measure until it's about 30mm?(street rider only) also at the bottom of the fork where the axle bolt is what are the adjusters for down there I can't find an explanation. Thx in advance just a noob trying to learn :) oh yeah bike is a 04

D

·
0 Posts
If you're just street riding, 38mm of sag in the front is fine. The target range is 30-40mm.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks am I correct in saying that to adjust the preload use te adjusters on the of the fork? also what do the adjusts at the bottom of forks change?

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
Thanks am I correct in saying that to adjust the preload use te adjusters on the TOP of the fork? also what do the adjusts at the bottom of forks change?
fixed, the adjuster screws on the bottom of the fork adjusts compression damping, it controls the rate of how fast the forks compress.

on my bike i'm shooting for 35/30 rider sag, i'm mainly a track rider but i use the same settings for the street.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
nevermind i found a good video that shows everything thanks guys I'm going to try to get the front in the 30-32mm range
good luck with that, if you don't weight under 130lbs closest thing you'll ever get is 35mm with the preload adjusters set to max.

how much do you weigh with full gear on? stock fork springs on our bikes are too soft for riders over 150lbs.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm probably about 180-185 with gear on(helmet, gloves, jeans, boots). I was going to start looking into different spring but nto sure what the different rates are and what would be best for me

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
I'm probably about 180-185 with gear on(helmet, gloves, jeans, boots). I was going to start looking into different spring but nto sure what the different rates are and what would be best for me
i see, you're a good candidate for new fork springs, i'm 165lbs with full gear & i have a 0.90 kg/mm springs in the forks, if you're mostly street riding 0.95 kg/mm should be right for you but for track riding 1.0 kg/mm is the way to go.

i have Ohlins fork springs in mine & they're a drop-in replacement from the stock fork springs, no need to cut new spacers as they are the same length as stock fork springs.

you may need to revalve or reshim the cartridges inside the forks to match the damping rate for the stiffer springs, i reshimmed my stock carts & having great results with them at the track.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did a quick search and came across the racetech site to get a idea of what i'd be looking for. I only do street riding for now. Are any special tools needed to do this kind of job.(I must say I'm pretty excited to getting familiar with suspension)

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alright so i'm running fully out on the forks and I've adjusted the rebound 2 and a half knotches back from full hard and for compression I did the same. The bike feels good but for some reason when I hit pretty aggressive bumps something sounds like it's hitting plastic? Any idea what this could be or if i should make another adjustment?

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
alright so i'm running fully out on the forks and I've adjusted the rebound 2 and a half knotches back from full hard and for compression I did the same. The bike feels good but for some reason when I hit pretty aggressive bumps something sounds like it's hitting plastic? Any idea what this could be or if i should make another adjustment?
you're bottoming out the forks, try 1 turn of compression & rebound damping. how much preload do you have on the forks? how many lines showing?

on my bike with 0.90 kg/mm Ohlins i have 38mm of rider sag with the preload adjusters at maximum & now my forks aren't bottoming out unlike when i had 46mm of rider sag.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have to update once I get off of work. I'm going to take it to a suspension guru hopefully today. I'll let you know what the end results are. It blows that such a awesome bike can't hold up the middleweights!

D

·
0 Posts
Set your sag to the correct range, throw a zip-tie on the fork tube and measure your travel. It might not be bottoming, but if it is, make the compression a little harder and the rebound softer.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys I was going to take the bike in but just called the shop and the tech/owner isn't in this weekend which blows so I'll be tweaking it a bit more. I'll keep you guys posted on how the experiment goes. I'm determined to master this suspension

·
Registered
120 Posts
hmmm, the newer models seem to be a lot stiffer than the competition...especially considering the bike weighing 20 lbs less or so.

well, about the only mods i have left to do are suspension. ill have to do it over winter or summer will be over and i wont get any seat time in.

on that book, considering i have stock suspension now, would it do anything for me with everything stock...or would it just be helpful with upgraded suspension?

D

·
0 Posts
It all has to do with the style of the forks, geometry, and the rider weight the company designed the bike around. No two bikes will ever be the same from brand to brand, and hardly ever year to year for the same brand.

07's and 08's have the same suspension components, but both act a little bit differently because of the change in rake on the 08.

Are you track riding and at the point where you will benefit from more grip, control, and adjustability? If not, it's a waste of money.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts