Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of buying a salvage bike on e-bay earlier this week. The add stated that the bike only needed minor repairs.

In fact this is what it says:

2,740 MILES, HAS DAMAGE TO: LFT MIRROR,LFT SIDE BLINKERS,EXHAUST MOUNT,LFT PEG,REARSET AND SHIFTER,1/2 INCH TEAR IN REAR SEAT, NEEDS FUEL LINES THAT SNAP INTO THE BOTTOM OF THE TANK,HAS A COUPLE OF CRACKS IN THE REAR PLASTIC,AND VERY MINOR RASH IN SMALL AREAS.

what do you guys think? is it too risky to buy something like this on e-bay??

if the bike has so little damage to it, why did the insurance company totaled?

the bike was $2100 but the value if in good condition is $7000

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bike is already sold.

Would you guys take risk of buying a bike like this on e-bay? What are the chances of getting ripped off?

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
The technicalities of totalling a bike are these:

The fair market value of the bike at the time of the crash is taken into consideration. Upon an estimate of the damage, if the damage total is more than 70% of the fair market value determined, the bike is totalled.

I just went through this with my boyfriend's RR. If ANY plastic or ALL plastic is rashed, that goes into the estimate. Plastics are hella expensive. There really wasn't THAT much damage to my boyfriend's bike mechanically, but the thing's still totalled.

I would be down to buy a salvaged bike off of ebay... But that's just IMO

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My friend told me that there is no way an insurance company will insure your bike with a salvage title. What do you do for registration?

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Some places will insure a salvaged bike...

Most will only do the minimum and liability. It all depends.

Sometimes you can change the title of the bike, but that's a bit sketchy

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I'd get it looked at by a competent mechanic that you trust. There could be things wrong that the normal rider/insurance adjuster wouldn't notice. Like tweeked sub frames and slightly bent forks, frame damage and so forth.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i bought my rr brand new and totalled it shortly there after. i bought it back form the ins for 1500 and i have a total of about 1500 repairing it.
i have liability ins from progressive and it can be registered again. all you have to do is bring a copy of the ins estimate and all the receipts of the repairs you made and get it inspected by the DMV. there is a small fee of like $15 or so. the bike will carry a rebuilt salvage title but no big deal. there is even a chance that the bike will retain the clean title of its original life depending on the condittion and the damages that occurred.
i would most definately buy a cheap salvage bike depending on the damages. then i'd either get a license to sell the parts or i'd just buy cheap plastics and such of ebay and register is for myself or even sell the fixed bike.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
tckn19s said:
i bought my rr brand new and totalled it shortly there after. i bought it back form the ins for 1500 and i have a total of about 1500 repairing it.
i have liability ins from progressive and it can be registered again. all you have to do is bring a copy of the ins estimate and all the receipts of the repairs you made and get it inspected by the DMV. there is a small fee of like $15 or so. the bike will carry a rebuilt salvage title but no big deal. there is even a chance that the bike will retain the clean title of its original life depending on the condittion and the damages that occurred.
i would most definately buy a cheap salvage bike depending on the damages. then i'd either get a license to sell the parts or i'd just buy cheap plastics and such of ebay and register is for myself or even sell the fixed bike.
+1... that's what I was saying

If the bike is 1000 miles away, better hop on a plane :) Either that or just ask for a very *detailed* description

·
Registered
362 Posts
my $.02... if it's just minor crap, buy a salvaged bike. then turn it into a race bike. that's what most people do. that'll be my next project. i bought my RR to ride on the street. then got bitten by the bug and now it's stricktly a race bike. not the best investment. i love my bike, but... first, i paid in the neighborhood of $8k for the bike. rode on the street for about 2000 miles, then jumped in with both feet and took the street crap off and am racing it, and i've dumped quite a bit in mods. the bonus is i'm going to sell the stock stuff i don't need to help recoup some of the racing costs. option 2) say i bought a salvage titled bike for $3500. say all the fairings were destroyed, plus a dented front wheel, and a few other minor items. no frame or fork damage. if i bought the same race plastics, mods, and replaced any necessary parts, i could've saved about $4k. then again, not one to settle, i would've taken that money and bought a new triple adj. penske rear, had the forks redone, bought an extra set of wheels and a few sets of race tires.

ok, so i'm rambling and daydreaming. it's sunday and i've been at work since friday afternoon, minus going home for a few hours at the butt crack of dawn on saturday. please cut me some slack. i'll be here until tuesday. friggin' netware upgrades!!! :evil:

·
Registered
51 Posts
wrecked bike

Quick question about the insurance. If the bike does have a salvage title, will it get full coverage insurance, say from progressive?

·
Registered
245 Posts
the bike is 1000 miles away in NH? It wouldn't happen to be Argo Cycles, would it?

www.argocycles.com

The only thing they deal in is totaled/salvaged bikes. Some are minor things, some are major. As it's already been said by someone else, it may only look like a minor problem, but there might be major things that aren't noticable until you ride.

A friend of mine got an F4 from them last season as his first bike, and didn't notice or find out that the front wheel was slightly bent until he brought it to get serviced this spring. The Honda dealer he brought it to replaced the front wheel and he said it made a world of change.

Just some food for thought when looking at salvaged bikes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts