Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Samco Hoses Stink!!!

is it just me

so last year i put some samco silicone hose's on my bike , ever since then when ever i put wetter watter in the bike sometimes has a faint smell like coolant

yes ive checked all the fittings
yes i cleaned up the little bit of coolant that spilled

the cap is good and there is 100% no leaks the hose's when hot give off a slight smell of coolant
anybody else notice this with samco hoses ?

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
In Miss O'Seven case i notice that smell as well its something you got to learn to live with

·
Registered
689 Posts
i bought a pair of samco hoses for my s4 and thought they were great. Didnt notice any coolant smell or anything coming off them. I used to blow the oem hoses on my car all the time, i upgraded to the samco hoses and all those problems went away.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
I have a set on my SMR and have never noticed that, lol.
Nice hoses, wish I had gotten the red digi camo ones :)

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
I have regular coolant in my bike and i do smell it when i get off the bike after a long ride when its really hot and it does go away as soon as the bike cools off i have no leaks or above normal temp at all so i am not worried

·
Registered
387 Posts
I like Samco hoses. A great quality product. For a specific purpose.

The thing is, silicone hoses are porous. That is why you smell coolant. Because you are indeed losing a bit of coolant/water...

Here is a great article from a friend of mine:
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/tabid/59/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/1246/Article.aspx

Silicone hoses are great at handling high heat, but allows water to escape (in the long term). So if you are going to use silicone, (for street applications) check and top off fluids often. Great for race applications, but for real-world street applications, requires a bit more care and attention.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts