Discussion Starter #1
So, my RR was stolen in October.

http://www.hypercycles.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12070

A little back story first. I had full coverage from USAA + something they call
Etch (kinda like Gap, but not) from San Diego House of Motorcycles. I
immediately set both my coverages in motion. One of the conditions of the
Etch Theft coverage was that I buy a replacement motorcycle from the dealer
that sold me my original motorcycle, within 30 days of receiving my check from
USAA. I'll be getting my check from USAA any day now.

The House of Motorcycles (HOM) part goes like this.

Right after My bike got stolen I went over to HOM and talked to some people
about what happened, and the coverage I had. They pretty much said that
sucks, but great, you get to buy a new bike. I picked out the 08 R6, which
wasn't in at the time, but It would be in time for me to collect my Etch
coverage (it turns out its in plenty of time because I still have not received
payment from USAA). I put $100 down to reserve the first 08 R6 that would
arrive at the dealer sometime in November. It arrived last week, and I headed
over there last wednesday, where they tried to tell me it would cost
$13,334.34, or somewhere around there. That went something like this....

Dealer: $13,334.34 OTD
Me: $11,000 OTD (I think I am being generous here, $9,599 MSRP + $400 extra + TTL)
Dealer: $13,300.00 OTD
Me: $11,034 OTD
Dealer: $13,300.00 OTD
Me: $11,000 OTD
Dealer: "Thanks for stopping by, no deal"
Me: "No Problem, I'll take my $100 and be on my way"

I don't really mind, I figured, if they can sell the bike for that much, more
power to them. I've talked to the sales guy I've been dealing with since I
was there. He tried to tell me that I should look at it as paying the
difference between $5000 (my Etch coverage) and $13,300. I didn't really see
how that matters, money is money, and I believe that A bike with a manufacture
MSRP of $9599 isn't worth more than $9599. Also, last I talked to him, he
said the 08 R6 had not sold yet.

Now the HOM guy says he can get me close to $12000 for an 08 R6, and $9500 for an 07
R6. I am contemplating just forgetting about the Etch coverage, collecting
the USAA insurance money and not riding anymore. My Fiance hates me riding,
my family hates me riding, and now this Etch coverage is turning out to be
more difficult than I expected.

Anyone think an 08 R6 for MSRP is asking too much? I know this is an RR
forum, and I'll get hit with the "get a new RR" comments, but any other
thoughts or suggestions are welcome. I would like to keep riding.

-Andrew

P.S. OTDYamaha has 08 R6 going for $9699 OTD and 07 R6 for $8499 OTD

http://www.otdyamaha.com/yamaha.htm

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Yo man that's sh*tty, sorry that your bike was stolen. You had full coverage with your regular insurance too right? So why not just get them to replace the bike all together? It does suck that the dealer is being a **** like that with the price too.

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
I hate House of Ripoffs! North County is even worse. Check out Alba...pretty good deals over there.
+1389274980357029785289037210
both HOM's like to rip peeps off! especially NCHM!!! i would stay away from them if youre lookin to buy a bike!
you have to know them (salesmen) really good. but even then they cant get you the best deal. a good deal but not the best.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am in the same situation too... I bought a r6 from Alba and bought into their ETCH thing. I am waiting for my $5000 to come in so that I can get a 600rr, hopefully Alba doesn't try to overcharge me on a new bike.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I can understand your situation, sorry to here your bike got stolen too. I know sometimes wit new bikes especially one thats going to be a hot seller prices do go up, MSRP is just a base price and I know dealers add on freight-setup and other charges too. i work at HOM parts dept. and hate to here un-happy customers on the boards.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can understand your situation, sorry to here your bike got stolen too. I know sometimes wit new bikes especially one thats going to be a hot seller prices do go up, MSRP is just a base price and I know dealers add on freight-setup and other charges too. i work at HOM parts dept. and hate to here un-happy customers on the boards.
Yes, when a new model bike or car comes out, and is popular I understand that people pay more. I offered more than MSRP because of that, and that logic doesn't explain why they won't offer a competitive price on their 07.

When they tell me I should think of it as paying the difference between the $5000 that my insurance pays out, and the price that they charge me for the bike, that doesn't make sense to me. Buyers are buyers, no matter where the funds for the bike come from. The bike costs the same to HOM regardless of who they sell it to, where the money is coming from, and wether or not its an insurance claim. I feel like they are jacking up the price because they know Its an Etch claim.

And don't get me started on the whole "we don't need this sale" attitude I've gotten. What the hell kind of attitude is that, its a motorcycle dealer, thats how they make money, selling motorcycles (and service and parts). How can a motorcycle dealer say that they don't care about a sale. Its ridiculous.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Dont get mad at me BRO.... I'm not the the one selling you the bike.

·
Registered
594 Posts
just to let u know, i bought my 07 gsxr600 from fun bike center in sept. it got stolen within a week of purchase. from what i the detectives told me, there have been many inside jobs in the sd area. the detective mentioned that they were mostly from house of motorcycles. sorry for ur loss. btw i still havent received my settlement either.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dont get mad at me BRO.... I'm not the the one selling you the bike.
Not at all, just general disappointment in my most recent experience with HOM, I am not angry at anyone, and I actually appreciate the feedback. I didn't mean for my venting to be directed at you. HOM should use whatever sales technique or strategy that works for them, regardless of what I think of it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dealerships are in it to make money for sure. Motorcycles do not have the markup like a car does. I think many people would be surprised how little markup a motorcycle actually has. New bikeS when they first out are going to cost you more and dealerships are not going to deal near as much. The thing is they don't really have to. Many people will buy them at a higher price because it is the new hot bike out. However, I know everyone does not feel this way. Most dealers are not going to sell a brand new bike that just came out for MSRP out the door. If you can find a place that will do it for that then jump on it.

One of you said a cop told you a lot of the bikes that are getting stolen are inside jobs from HOM. The funny thing with that is not one person in the past two years has been investigated or even spoken to about this accusation. I say two years because that is as far back as my knowledge goes. Have you ever thought that this is an easy thing to say when they do not have any idea who stole the bikes? Also there are many employees that work at HOM that has had their bike stolen. San Diego is one of the highest cities for bike theft. I do agree that it would be easy for someone at a dealership to get your address and have the opportunity to take your bike. However, to say that a particular dealership is stealing is a little off base without any actual evidence.

Etch is a great thing if you use it. You spent the money and you should take advantage of it. You might want to do some research because you may not have to use it at the dealership you bought it at. Also you don't have to put it towards the bike if you don't want to. You can get the cash if you prefer. You should contact your etch company and ask them if you have to use it at the purchasing dealership. Read your etch agreement as well and see what it says.

I know this is a long post but I am trying to offer you some of my experience within the industry. My bike was stolen and I used etch. I did not have any problems and I even bought it again. It proved to be a great investment.

·
Registered
655 Posts
First place you screwed up was telling them about the insurance money.
I would have kept that on the DL and if they asked i would have told them im looking for a second bike. They dont need to know where the money comes from.
I hate when sales men try to tell you how you should manage your money like that. I think you offered a fair price, and im sure if they were a little more reasonable and met you in the middle a little more, you would have had your bike.
Oh well there loss.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
HOM is just like Bert's in Azusa. They tack on all kinds of fees that most other dealerships do not add, for instance at Berts they tack on a freight fee which is about $1000. Back in the day when the 1000RR Repsol came out, the freight fee for the 1000RR Repsol was $1500 and the normal 1000RR was $1000, i asked the dealer why? they had no answer for me. Go somewhere else to get your bike... there are stealerships and there are dealerships, that is def. a stealership!

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Maybe its just me, but $3k+ over the base price is waaaaaay too much for an 08R6. $13,300 is highway robbery. Thats like buying a 1000cc. Shouldn't OTD for the R6 be under $12k???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts