Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey. im just starting out and i wanted to find out what everyones scariest moment was when they first started riding and if they had any tips for me. thx

·
Registered
700 Posts
my scariest moment was being overconfident and thinking that i could handle all of the capibilities of the RR. Came into a turn way to fast, locked up the rear tire and slid into a ditch.

·
Registered
700 Posts
officerbrat said:
how did you lock up the rear tire?
was on a country road doing about a buck, didnt brake soon enough, i slammed both brakes and the rear just locked and i started swerving on some loose gravel and went into a ditch and hit my head on a speed limit pole. glad i had a lid on

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
leaving tower records on my 3 week old 05 600rr, took off to fast, on cold tires, the rear end whipped side to side, i didnt drop it, but my leg hit my rear brake lever and bent the hell out of it and i **** my pants

free tip- make sure tires are warm before opening that thing open!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
1st week on the RR. Coming back from the hills and too fast on a right corner and nearly missed the cars coming the opposite direction.

·
Registered
584 Posts
1st day on my brand new RF 600R in 1995, too confident from dirt bikes and tucked the front end on a 90 degree curve with sand on it. Thankfully I wasn't going fast.

·
Registered
540 Posts
just got my mirrors and signals on and working on my 75 kawi, but wasn't experienced enough to use them religiously. went to pull a left turn by sliding right before the turn and then hookin it lookin real cool, and the van i didn't know was behind me thought i was parking and passed me. i almost dropped the bike in the middle of the street, and they had to swerve. was like 10-20 mph, and still almost died...

if you aren't familiar w/ common concepts like locking a wheel during braking, plz plz be careful. go to an MSF course. or at least find a riding buddy who can coach you. drive like you're invisible. don't get dead.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
dxh13 said:
drive like you're invisible.
wow for some reason i saw that as "drink like youre invisble" and i thought to myself...wtf

·
Registered
254 Posts
1 week after buying it, it being my first bike ever, I had some dumbass run a red light as I was in the intersection. Luckily I was in 2nd going about 40, so I gunned it and he barely missed me. He proceeded to try to run away from me, b/c I was obviously quite disgruntled. We finally got a light together where I promptly informed him of my opinion of his driving skills, as well as the promiscuity of his mother and other relatives of his.

First day I rode it, I was trying to figure out turning, and didn't quite make one. I did a little offroading, and luckily didn't fall over. :icon_lol:

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
Within a week of having the RR, coming around a fairly simple corner and I started to stare at the gravel on the edge of the road, Well shucks, the bike went right for it. I kept it up but it was fun for a few seconds. BEWARE TARGET FIXATION.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Ya, target fixation is a big thing, falling in mud up in the canyons is no fun either. No one has mentioned his yet, but if ur getting a new bike watch out for the tires they're slippery!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
1st day riding- didn't want to lean to far over and careened into the wrong side of a 2 way street- Nobody coming thank GOD, but made me realize that you have to respect and understand all aspects of riding: Your skills & limitations, your bike's too. Also don't take anything for granted(4 wheeled stupidity & ignorance) and BE PREPARED!!!

P.S. Rubber side down...

·
Registered
725 Posts
500feet out of the dealer parking lot, I was turning right on to a major street. The
the intersection is at a banked left turn, so the banking is going down hill and away
from me. It's a busy street, so I jumped into traffic. Brand new tire, too much gas,
and it got real squirrelly real fast. Left, right, left, right went the back tire, I let go of
the gas and it snapped upright. Thank god I didn't drop my brand new bike with 1 mile
on it. WHEW! That was a close one.

·
Registered
840 Posts
My first time ever on my bike, I rode it to work.

I pull up to a red light. I'm behind two cars. The light turns green, the cars go. About four feet into the intersection, the first car in line is t-boned as someone runs the red light at about 30mph. It smashes into the car in the next lane causing a three car pileup. I stop, think briefly about the meaning of life, then creep on by. Sweating bullets.

Watch everything around you. Let cars go first at intersections to act as buffers. Don't run stale yellow lights. Don't emergency stop for newly yellow lights.

Cages suck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts