Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check it:

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/080218141134.shtml

Wild rumours are doing the rounds that Michael Schumacher could be set to make a racing return - on the saddle of a MotoGP bike.

The French sports newspaper L'Equipe seemingly began the speculation by publishing an article raising the possibility of the 39-year-old German, who retired as a seven time world champion in 2006, making a wild-card entry for the Mugello event this year.

Schumacher has twice tested for the Italian motorcycle marque Ducati, impressing with his pace. It is also reported that the former Ferrari racer may have tested again at France's Circuit de Bresse.

L'Equipe also claimed that someone from Schumacher's entourage recently visited the headquarters of MotoGP's governing body to arrange the documentation for a one-off race entry.

In the Italian sports newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport on Monday, however, MotoGP boss Carmelo Ezpeleta, and Ducati chief Livio Suppo, dismissed the stories.

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
The guy can race that is for sure

·
Registered
553 Posts
That'd be awesome to see him in MotoGp, now how good he would do is beyond me but I'm sure he could hold his own

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,790 Posts
he'd be dead last & getting lapped by the other riders.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I think he would do about as good as Kurtis Roberts did last year.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,790 Posts
the only way for Schumi to get ahead of the others is if DORNA allowed mandatory pitstops during the race, that's where they do most of their overtaking..

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
wasnt he like a a few seconds from hayden or rossi when he tested the first time? not sure who it was against or how close he was, but it was posted somewhere here..

im sure with a few seasons of practice, he might be running around the top..

·
Registered
110 Posts
i can see him being able to be within a few seconds on the lap time, but not sure how he would do in traffic, literally being shoulder to shoulder going that fast is different than being tire to tire with a cage around you.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,790 Posts
i'll bet you that Schumi wouldn't even come close to qualifying into the grid, if you're outside of the 107% of the qualifying time in motogp you're not allowed to race.

besides he is old & it's physically more demanding to ride a motogp bike at race pace for 45min than driving an F1 car for 1.5 hours.

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
Well, at Valencia, he was about 4 seconds off the race pace. I believe he ran a 1'38 on his third lap? That's not too bad. He'll get some more seat time, that's for sure. There's an article about how he went so fast on the bike in RRW. But honestly, it has a lot to do with the electronics, I believe. Just get the bike in the corner, whack it and let the computers do the rest. Hopkins has been saying how much easier it is to ride the Kawasaki because the MM ecu is so much better than the one on the Suzuki.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I think this is a straight up hoax. It originally got posted on a Spanish news site on their version of April Fool's day. Of course its still possible that Schumacher could really sign up to do a wildcard appearance but I don't think that he would do something like that unless he knew he could be competitive. Putting in relatively fast laps with the TC turned all the way up is very different from putting the bike in the top 10.

Schumacher did say he was interested in buying an old Ducati GP bike (Ducati sells them to private buyers who have the $$$. I think they're the only ones who do so).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well, at Valencia, he was about 4 seconds off the race pace. I believe he ran a 1'38 on his third lap? That's not too bad. He'll get some more seat time, that's for sure. There's an article about how he went so fast on the bike in RRW. But honestly, it has a lot to do with the electronics, I believe. Just get the bike in the corner, whack it and let the computers do the rest. Hopkins has been saying how much easier it is to ride the Kawasaki because the MM ecu is so much better than the one on the Suzuki.
No. He did not do a 1'38'' on his third lap. He needed about fifty laps to do that and a tow down the front straight from Randy Mamola to get to that lap time.

Granted, he did to extremely well for non-motorcycle rider. None of us would have done that. Even our Canadian Superbike champion (Jordan Szoke), who raced a number of years in the AMA, didn't manage to dip below 1'41'' on the Kawasaki at the Valencia test, but that was in the morning session (cold) with only 15 laps allowed.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
bwahhahaha. stick to F1....MotoGP takes almost a lifetime of motorcycle riding to become competitive.

He'd have even less chances in WSBK, where the competition is tighter.

·
Registered
842 Posts
If true, I bet he would surprise a lot of people on how well he does. I would bet that he could probably out ride most if not all the riders on this board.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts