Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello 600RR Enthusiasts,

I am a very new rider just started riding in Sep 2021. And my very first bike is of course the 2007 CBR600RR. I know I know it is not a beginners bike in any way. But that's for another tread.

Anyways, I am here asking about if any of you have installed a Scotts Steering Damper on an 07+ CBR600RR specifically the ones that comes with the HESD? I have read a few treads stating that they have installed Ohlins with some sort of ducati bracket as well as Scotts and GPR. But they are for 06 and older models without the HESD.

Reason why is because I bought the bike used with 24K miles. I took it to the local moto shop to have a full tune-up and of course suspension adjusted to my weight. And I was informed that the HESD on my bike is not working at all. So now I am in search for an aftermarket steering damper. But, having difficulty finding one that made specifically for the year of my bike. As well as no one seems to have installed these on my bike on youtube.

That being said, if anyone can give me some insight on what to buy. Where to buy. And how to install that would be amazing! In addition, when installed an aftermarket steering damper. Does the HESD have to be removed? Or can it just be installed with my HESD(Which isnt working).

Please Advise

Thanks in Advance!

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
5,020 Posts
i did it. but it's not a bolt on, and requires cutting the tank cover. i had to modify a frame mount to bolt on to the frame to hold the pin, and ended up designing and having a custom triple tree milled with the posts to mount the damper. this part you could probably use an oem scott's nut mount. if you want it to be a simple installation you're barking up the wrong tree with scott's.

boty_01 by William Glancy, on Flickr

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
The HESD isn't working?

Unusual.....They're simple, and work very well.

What method of troubleshooting?

Ask for an explanation of how this determination was made?

There's a thread OTF about servicing the unit.

If you can't find any fault, maybe buy a used one?

Wibbly is a master craftsman, when he says "it's not simple" it ain't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i did it. but it's not a bolt on, and requires cutting the tank cover. i had to modify a frame mount to bolt on to the frame to hold the pin, and ended up designing and having a custom triple tree milled with the posts to mount the damper. this part you could probably use an oem scott's nut mount. if you want it to be a simple installation you're barking up the wrong tree with scott's.

boty_01 by William Glancy, on Flickr
Thank you for the insight on the Scott’s steering damper for my bike. And reading what you have to say. Yeahhh I don’t think I would be able to do that. Being new to this whole motorcycle thing. What steering damper would you recommend that I can install? That’s some what simple… 😅😅

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The HESD isn't working?

Unusual.....They're simple, and work very well.

What method of troubleshooting?

Ask for an explanation of how this determination was made?

There's a thread OTF about servicing the unit.

If you can't find any fault, maybe buy a used one?

Wibbly is a master craftsman, when he says "it's not simple" it ain't.
Yeah, I’m not sure how the mechanic have determined the HESD isn’t working. But the local shop I took it to that determined this have pretty high reviews. As well as a friend has recommended me this shop. And based off my interaction with the mechanic/owner of the shop. He does seem very knowledgeable about bikes.

When I went to pick up my bike from him after he has done the full tune up. He did mentioned something about my handle bars being extremely loose like no friction at all when turning the handles. Besides that I’m not sure how he figured out it doesn’t work properly.

But I also read somewhere on the forum that if the HESD unit isn’t working properly/malfunctioning or has been removed. The HESD warning light of sort would come on. However, there are no warning lights. On the other hand, I have some knowledge on cars. And in which case there could be a small chance the seller of the bike may have tampered there dash to remove the light? Idk….

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah, I’m not sure how the mechanic have determined the HESD isn’t working. But the local shop I took it to that determined this have pretty high reviews. As well as a friend has recommended me this shop. And based off my interaction with the mechanic/owner of the shop. He does seem very knowledgeable about bikes.

When I went to pick up my bike from him after he has done the full tune up. He did mentioned something about my handle bars being extremely loose like no friction at all when turning the handles. Besides that I’m not sure how he figured out it doesn’t work properly.

But I also read somewhere on the forum that if the HESD unit isn’t working properly/malfunctioning or has been removed. The HESD warning light of sort would come on. However, there are no warning lights. On the other hand, I have some knowledge on cars. And in which case there could be a small chance the seller of the bike may have tampered there dash to remove the light? Idk….
Check out a new shop. That dude doesn't know what's up. I would bet money that yours is fine if everything is hooked up properly and there's no HESD light on the dash. The HESD system will give zero resistance if you are just sitting there jerking back and forth on the bars while sitting still. That's not how it works and it is speed dependent. Just enjoy your bike and save your steering damper money for something else.

The only caveat is if someone removed the HESD and put an eliminator plug on it, which is unlikely if there's not an aftermarket damper on it.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
The shop owner does not sound familiar w/HESD.

When bike's stationary, HESD offers zero damping, as speed increases the HESD comes into service.....

Get the service manual. There's a way of testing the HESD listed in manual.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone who responded. Based off the last two response. I will trust this forum and just pray to the moto gurdians that my HESD is infact working. And just save the money. Since the aftermarket steering damper is quite expensive..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would just like to add incase anyone is wondering. I have done the honors as well on contacting Scott’s Performance. To see if they even made a kit for CBR600RR w/ HESD. And this is their response

Font Parallel Rectangle Screenshot Document

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have had 3 RRs - '05, '08, '21 and they have never been too prone to head shakes and I beat them hard. My long time riding buddy has always rode GSXR-750s and those seem to get it even with the stock linear dampers. I dunno. Honda made the geometry stable on these bikes. From what I can remember the '03-'06 have 0.5 degrees more rake than the '07+. Pretty sure that's why '07+ got HESD. Quicker steering, but less stability when you are gooning out. Just stay light on the bars and send it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts