Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working a lot of hours recently and I wanted to get away for just a short time; I got off work Tuesday morning at 7:00am, took a quick nap, packed my backpack and tank bag for an overnighter and hit the road about noon. I wasn't completely sure where I was going to go, but I knew it would be in the hills and relatively secluded. I rode East and picked up 108 over Sonora pass, decended into the Walker valley, passed the Marine Mountain Warfare Training Center and picked up U.S. 395 South into Bridgeport. I checked into a motel room, dropped my backpack in the room and rode around the area. I made my way out to Twin Lakes and some other scenic high elevation scenery along the Eastern side of the Sierra Nevada mountains; I returned to the room to shower and then walked down the street for dinner at a local diner. My waitress was the coolest ever, she was really cute and had the most awesome accent. She is from Italy and said that she moved to Bridgeport after visting Yosemite and the surrounding area when she was younger... when she was old enough, she moved to the U.S. and now she is minutes away form one of the most beautiful places on Earth. After my dinner and a few drinks I went back to the room and called it a night. I woke up bright and early and returned to the diner for some bomb-ass French Toast. After breakfast I packed up, checked out of the room and watched a guy struggle to start his carburated Harley in the 38* air temp at 7,000' elevation... needless to say, it was not a happy bike. :p I thumbed the starter switch and my bike roared to life in about a second... Harley man was jealous! I rode to the local Shell station, and topped of with their $5.65/gallon gas; after calculation, my mileage was 49.06mpg for the tank (the best my bike has ever achieved!). I left Bridgeport heading South on 395 and took the June Lake/Silver Lake loop and then made my way back to Lee Vining to pickup 120 into the East side of Yosemite. I followed the twisty, scenic 120 up and over Tioga pass (9,943 feet) and into the park. I stopped for some photos and proceeded to exit the park and make my way home. All told, I did just shy of 500 miles. Upon topping off my tank in Greely Hill, I was amazed to see 55.95mpg!!!! The pics are all from my 1982 Canon AE1-Program, and I left the house with only a partial roll of film; unfortunatley these are the only decent shots.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
Wow man i am jealous great black & white snaps you got there

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. The trip was a great way to spend my two days off of work, and pictures or not, was something that I will do again soon.

I wish I had my DSLR with me on the trip, then I could have loaded up on pictures. Oh, well. Next time.

·
Registered
164 Posts
that is nice and all but it doesn't even compare to what we have here in houston.

you cannot even believe the flatness! I mean uneven roads, 95+ heat with humidity and all the natural buildings you could possibly want...

If I keep saying this to myself, I may believe it eventually.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha, Ajax. You just described the world that I escaped from for two days... I live in a vast area of flatness, super-slab freeways, annoying traffic and heat. Now, people say that CA doesn't get humidity. That's BS. It was 106* and raining... it doesn't get much more humid than rain.

CA is a beautiful state in that there is litterally every type of climate and terrain imaginable and I can get to most of it within 2 hours.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Man, I love that area. Good job. Most people who live in Cali are too stupid / lazy to do even a short trip like that.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do my best to get out and enjoy the area... this coming Wednesday I think I am going to take a trip to Santa Cruz and Monterey. I've been craving some sea food.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts