Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just threw my new lines on and am in the process of trying to bleed the brakes, but for some reason I fail at it, lol. I'm not using speedbleeders, a vacuum pump, or any other type of pump. Just compressing the brake lever, opening bleeder valve, closing bleeder valve, then repeating. Air stopped coming out, as well has fluid. My brother is out right now pumping the brake lever trying to gain pressure in the lines, but something isn't working.

Any help?

Oh yeah, I know it's the wrong section, but it's an emergency.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Are you putting fluid in the res as you are bleeding them? You can run out really fast as you are bleeding.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Fill res
Pump brake
Brake gets tight, hold the brake lever
Crack the valve, lever goes in to the grip
Close the valve, pump the lever and so on.

Make sure the pumper checks the res to make sure it is still full. T

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I keep putting fluid in the res. When pumping there is minimal pressure building. I can get about .5 tablespoons out at a time, and that's it. Lever goes straight back to the grips when pumping. My brother pumped it for 10 minutes straight and it didn't build pressure. No leaks anywhere in the system either.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i wouldn't even close the res. i keep it open and fill as needed.

but yeah trip's just about got it. squeeze, hold, crack, repeat. to speed the process along, you should have prefilled the lines. no sense to it now... you gotta remember there is a whole brake line worth of air in that system. you have to get rid of it, and it's going to take time.

this isn't a 10 minute job.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I know this is a no branier, no leaks and all lines are holding fluid just to double check...

and your just doing lines so no pistion compression was done....

ive had this happen so many times on new prototype cars with new systems, and its very frustrating I know.

go through and assure yourself everything is sealer properly ( banjos and what not) thats all I can say for now wish I could be so much help sorry for wasting thread space haha

·
#2 Office Monkey!!
757 Posts
when swapping lines you have a TON of air in there... it will take a while with out a vac pump but it is very do-able...

A easier way to do this is to find 3 bottles, water bottles or whatever floats your boat.. Now zip tie one bottle close to each bleeder and make sure it is lower than the bleeder to allow for good run off...

Now take some hose that will fit snug on the bleeder and stick it on then let the other end touch the bottom of the bottle. Fill each bottle with enough brake fluid to cover the end of each hose...

Then bleed them that way, this will help you see the air come out and it will also prevent air from being sucked back into the bleeder if you arent being careful with it.

And remember, the master is a bitch when it comes to trapping air but just visit each one multiple times and you will get it

·
#2 Office Monkey!!
757 Posts
but start with the left caliper and do it about 10 times, then move to the left caliper and then finish off with the master... then repeat. and repeat again if needed..

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
iirc (and it's been a while) i left the caliper side bleeder open and pumped the shi t out of the lever to force the fluid down and out the bleeder. keep a damn good eye on the res though.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
when swapping lines you have a TON of air in there... it will take a while with out a vac pump but it is very do-able...

A easier way to do this is to find 3 bottles, water bottles or whatever floats your boat.. Now zip tie one bottle close to each bleeder and make sure it is lower than the bleeder to allow for good run off...

Now take some hose that will fit snug on the bleeder and stick it on then let the other end touch the bottom of the bottle. Fill each bottle with enough brake fluid to cover the end of each hose...

Then bleed them that way, this will help you see the air come out and it will also prevent air from being sucked back into the bleeder if you arent being careful with it.

And remember, the master is a bitch when it comes to trapping air but just visit each one multiple times and you will get it
That did it. Bled each caliper by just pumping with a watter bottle full of fluid on the bleed end and started gaining pressure.

Brake pads are completely toast now. :( I have full line pressure, but no real stopping power until I pull about 3/4". I hope my JL pads where shipped out today.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Used them far more then I should have, lol. I started hearing that screeching noise a few minutes into my ride.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
3098 as it sits in my garage. I know it's not a lot, but in the past 800 or so miles I started using the brakes more rather then engine braking just to get a feel for if I need to change the lines or not.

·
Registered
709 Posts
thats a hell of a lot of brake use to wear out a set of pads in 3k miles on the street. something doesnt seem right

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thats a hell of a lot of brake use to wear out a set of pads in 3k miles on the street. something doesnt seem right
Tell me about it. Fastest I'll go is 5 over the limit or with the flow of traffic, so mostly riding and braking at 50mph. I must have gotten bad pads or used pads when I bought the bike. I can't even come close to figuring out how I used over half of the pads in such a short distance.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts