Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember reading about a year ago on here someone talking about something small that you put on your bike so it was harder to steal. Something that would lock the wheels or chain or something....

It was small enough to fit in your pocket, but big enough to cause a hassle.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? I can't remember what it was :(

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
I don't recommend disc locks. More rotors have been ruined by thier owners that forgot the remove them then anything. Buy an alarm or a Low-jack unit if you can't keep the bike out of site. Nothing short of welding a boat anchor to it is going to stop a thief from simply picking the bike up and throwing it in back of a van. The best thing is to keep it out of site. They can't steal what they can't find.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there any that you guys recommend?

I'm looking for something that I can quickly put in in the morning when I park for work, and quickly out when I'm going home. But I want it to be small enough to fit in my jacket pocket for the ride.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We've been having a TON of airbags stolen from cars at my workplace. I'm getting worried they will come back for the bike :(

·
Registered
344 Posts
Shooter3k said:
Is there any that you guys recommend?

I'm looking for something that I can quickly put in in the morning when I park for work, and quickly out when I'm going home. But I want it to be small enough to fit in my jacket pocket for the ride.
disc lock is one of your only options. You won't want to carry a heavy-ass chain and a small piece of wire tying it to something else is pretty much useless. People will just pick it up and put it in a truck or a van, just park it somewhere very public with lots of traffic or leave it out of sight. There's not too much you can do about it. Get comprehensive insurance :thumbup:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NewRedRider said:
Ok, I'll play along. What does a crack head want with an airbag?
I have no idea.. But they been stealing hundreds of them.. I guess they go for like $500 on the street. and the cops don't seem to care at all...

So, Are disc locks even worth the money then?

I figured it might deter a couple of guys if they have to struggle with the bike... At least when they steal airbags they are inside of the car.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Anything short of chaining it to a tree or light pole is about useless. If they can still pick the bike up it's not worth the money IMO. The only acception would be an alarm or the Low-jack. Atleast the alarm may get someones attention (and yours if you have a pager FOB with it) and the low-jack can be tracked. But honestly, if the crackheads have been stealing the airbags they're probably not interested in your bike. Too much trouble for these idiots. You can get a Scorpio alarm for under $400 with all the bells and whistles.

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcbeware/scorpio.html

·
Registered
229 Posts
i dont think its worth bothering getting locks for ur bike , if someoen really wants to steal ur bike need only a few pple and its gone even with the best locks u can buy.Unless u get some extremely exteremmyl loud alarm maybe would help a little.

i never ride my bike anywhere and park it unless its right in front of me and i can see it , its just to worrying if my bike gets stolen i might seriosuly have a heart attack. i remember riding to school once just to do a 30min class and every 5 mins i had to walk out and check my bike to see if anything has happened to it

·
Registered
903 Posts
pantablo said:
its not crack heads. air bags are bought by body shops. there's a huge market for them.
yeah I was reading a article a while back about this guy in NY would break into Honda cars and jack the airbag. Then the ppl needed airbags put back in and what do u know the guy runs a bussiness that replaces airbags for Honda cars. This guy made tons of money by doing this for about 3 years. He was eventually caught when the cops got together and had a "set up" car and busted the dude.

·
Registered
215 Posts
NewRedRider said:
I don't recommend disc locks. More rotors have been ruined by thier owners that forgot the remove them then anything. Buy an alarm or a Low-jack unit if you can't keep the bike out of site. Nothing short of welding a boat anchor to it is going to stop a thief from simply picking the bike up and throwing it in back of a van. The best thing is to keep it out of site. They can't steal what they can't find.
ok for all that worry about forgeting the disc lock, thers is a little trick I use as a safety precaution since im really forgetful.

I park the bike in a way that I have to back out first (like head toward a wall or a curb or something) then roll the wheel till there is just enough space for the disc lock to fit before it touches the front fender, so this way, if you forget, the lock will immediately hit the fender before you can build up any speed sice we can't back up that fast, and get in the habit of backing up sitting on the bike, not pulling it, so theres less speed. I did it a couple of times and nothing has happened to the fender.

If you must park where you could go straight right away. I would put it as close to the brake as possible. and hope that you have fast reflexes.
hope this helps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts