Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2003 600rr, It only had about 7k miles on it an the engine was running fine until I went to start it one morning and it seized during start up. I finally got around to pulling the head and it looks like it full dirt? There is some light scratches on the bottom part of the cylinder walls but besided that everything else looks ok. Should I clean this up and try to run it or replace the whole engine? What would cause this to happen? Thanks.

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?p=2090940#post2090940

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
Was there any coolant in there when you pulled the head off??

Its hard to tell from the pics but I dont see how dirt would get in there.

Either way if there are ANY scratches in the cylinder wall (enough to catch your fingernail on) that block needs to be bored and honed out with larger diameter pistons installed. the scratches will make it impossible for your piston rings to seal properly.

Your best bet, beeing how tight these engines are, is to find a replacement.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cleaned things up a bit and took a few more pics. That one pic is the worst of the vertical scratches so they arent too bad. Nothing I can feel.
The stuff in there was powder dry. My guess is a bunch of flaked off carbon? The intake runners were super dirty too. I'll try to get some pics of that later.

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
how many miles on that motor? You can still see the crosshatch... only reason im asking.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
May want to get them all cleaned up while you have it apart. If there was ever a time to do it now is that time.
You definitely want the rings to have a good seal so you don't have to do this over again. Had some bad scoring on mine and got it bored+1 and new pistons/rings.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
in your first couple of pictures it doesn't look like carbon build up. carbon deposit is usually always black and gummy not brown and dry looking like those cylinders were. what did your valves look like? I'm only assuming because I used to bore out manifolds and throttle bodies etc. and I've never seen carbon build up that was brown and dry looking like that. Exodus brings up a very good point though, it could be coolant. your third picture almost looks like it has a green hue towards the left flaky piece, that might be something to look into for sure. it could have been just a bad gasket and coolant was leaking through causing the build up.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
I've never seen anything like that before.... And I would have expected coolant to show its head by cleaning the crap out of the cylinder, not turning to 'dirt'...

If it was coolant, at the very least you probably want to get the head crack tested and a re-hone - depending on how worn the bores are.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Here are some pics down the intake runners. Alot of crap on the valves. I was thinking the dirt may be coolant but all 4 cylinders had the same stuff in them. Wouldn't a coolant leak be in just one or two cylinders? And coolant wouldnt explain these dirty valves.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
That looks like a fuel problem... have you been trying to run it on molasses?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Everything foward of the butterflys is spotlessly clean. I think the 'dirt' is flaked off carbon build up, but how? It's so much that the engine couldn't turn over.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts