Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm not quite sure what happened this weekend yet, but its possible that I almost got scammed. Now I'm not really into the whole buying and selling vehicles things seeing as my dad got screwed over once in a deal before.

Anyways, I had an offer for 6500 cash from this guy in virginia for my RR that I have up for sale, so we talked things out and settled on a price of 6800 for it. So he sent me a paper verifying the sale of the bike from his bank so that he could get a loan for the amount. He was paying with a cashiers check. Am I mistaken in thinking that this is not cash?
So I told him to be at my place around 1-2 so that I could get to my bank and verify the check and get the money into my account. The guy calls me up around 12-1 and says that he's just leaving his hometown in Va. So I called around to every bank in the area and found someone that was open until 4. I told him that if he could make it up here before the bank closed, we could seal the deal today. He said that was ok and needed to pick up his mom and a truck to come on up. So his MOM calls around 2-3 and starts reamin me out (yes...she was extremely angry with me) wonderin why I wouldnt take her check and load up the bike for her son. While she's yelling at me she says they're good people and that I shouldnt have such a problem. Now this is a cashiers check, but I still want verification that the money is in my account before i sign over my title to a stranger. She said their bank was not open today and I'd have to wait until monday to cash the check...
Then, in the middle of her yelling at me, she says that if there is no deal today, then the deals off. I didn't know what to say.
First she attacks me for being a cautious first time seller, then she gives me an ultimatum, when I've gone way out of my way to make this sale this weekend. I personally would rather have this go smoothly and not so rushed.
Now keep in mind, I drove over 3 hours to my house this weekend to make this sale. They had not yet left home. So I let this lady rant on, and apologized to her son for any trouble this may have caused. (I don't know now why i was apologizing when I was being yelled at) Then his mother went to the lengths of insulting my intelligence by telling me I should be smarter as a college student and know that her check is good....the original plan is that this guy was going to come up and look at the bike this weekend and come pick it up another time. He later said that he worked every other day and couldnt find time to come again...

The son called me later and told me that he just bought another bike and that he "just thought he'd let me know"...in the same day...when he had to get a cashiers check for me from his bank to pay for the bike. Make sense?

So if anyone comes upon a similar situation, just be careful...don't let someone ride away with your bike without knowing you have the money in your hand. Now maybe this guy was legit. I met him through a member of this board.

I have nothing against the member, as he wasn't at fault (I'm not listing his name for that purpose). Figured I'd put this out there, so if anyone else comes upon a similar situation you could think about what happened here...scam or not.

Anyone have something similar go on?

C

·
0 Posts
Bro, you were in the right. That lady had no reason to be yelling at you. You had every right to be cautious. The fact that she yelled at you in such a manner only showed her lack of intelligence. Your only mistake was appologizing to them. Whether it was a scam or not, you did the right thing. It just shows that your are intelligent enough to check out everything before making the final sale. You were the smarter one, not her.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
smart and lucky at the same time good luck with your bike sale

·
Registered
665 Posts
Sounds like a scam bro, I've seen fake cashier checks first hand and even car dealerships can be caught unaware. I learned a big lesson when I was in HS and sold someone a laptop over the net and had them cancel the cashier check after receiving the computer.

As a side note, how many moms do you know that would actually want and help their son buy a motorcycle - more importantly yell and get riled up over the process. hmmm

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
ya that was a scam, and if he was a member here uhhhh LEAVE BUDDIE!!! I love this site bc I trust the ppl on it (mistake maybe but havnt had a problem yet).

·
Registered
876 Posts
farbio615 said:
ya that was a scam, and if he was a member here uhhhh LEAVE BUDDIE!!! I love this site bc I trust the ppl on it (mistake maybe but havnt had a problem yet).
+1 Yeah LEAVE BUDDIE..

Its a scam, if its legit then why is she yelling at you, why should you trust a stranger, I would cuss the mom out if I were you, its your bike and she have no right yelling at you, if you dont want to sell it to her son then its you decision not the buyer's. You have every right to verify the funds, there is a lot of fake cashier check and they can also report lost if they want to cancel the payment.. Thats why I always request Cash, if you dont have the cash dont buy it.. I sold my car awhile back and the guy paid me cash, I wont deal with Cashier Check or personal check, even travel checks.. CASH ONLY...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jlagss said:
wtf?! that was def a scam. Hey aren't you from pottstown? why are you selling the bike?
ya man, sellin the bike to help my dad get the boat he's been eyein up for a while. Saw you down gassin up your bike at the getty (or unimart or whatever it is now) on keim and beuchart one day, but i was in a bit of a rush or I'd have stopped. Let me know if you have anyone lookin for a good deal.

-R

N

·
0 Posts
If you lived in Cali, heck yeah I'd have you name the member who's friend it was so I don't come across these people in case I sell my bike.

Just my .02

·
Registered
147 Posts
BH600 said:
Sounds like a scam bro, I've seen fake cashier checks first hand and even car dealerships can be caught unaware. I learned a big lesson when I was in HS and sold someone a laptop over the net and had them cancel the cashier check after receiving the computer.
I didn't think you could cancel a cashiers check. I was under the impression that is was no different than cash once you took it out.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Kal said:
BH600 said:
I didn't think you could cancel a cashiers check. I was under the impression that is was no different than cash once you took it out.
I've heard of scams with cashiers checks before also. CASH ONLY!

As soon as she got defensive it should have been a red flag that something was wrong. She better be glad she wasn't yelling at me like that. I have an air horn for people like her. :lol2:

·
Bike Of The Month - 09/05
1,609 Posts
You did the right thing!!!
Next time... if someone yels at you... tell them to shut a f*** up a drive back home.
There will be plenty of people to buy your bike. Just wait for a decent buyer.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Kal said:
BH600 said:
Cashiers checks are verified funds as long as the document is genuine. It is very easy to counterfeit a check, and pass it off as real. You usually can't put a stop payment on a cashiers check, but you can on a "bank check". This type of check is isssued by your bank, using your funds, very much like a cashiers check.

If these people got pissy, I would have told them off as well. If it was a scam, they were either using a bank check in an attempt to stop the payment later, or trying to pass a fake cashiers check. Either way, you protect yourself first. If the buyer gets pissed, too damn bad.(IMO)

·
Registered
327 Posts
even with cash nothing is legit now a days. I remember when I sold my bike, I had my friend that worked at a bank to come to my house to prove that the deal was legit. Actually the cash was legit. He was giving me it in cash, I don't want to end up going to the bank and having the clerk tell me the money is counterfeit. :) Just have to be cautious, but its a pretty good little plan the mother and son had there.

The mother pressuring you to sell the bike, and screaming at you. LoL, man, how long was she screaming at you? LoL. Don't let anyone but YOUR mother scream at you. Your an adult now, being respectful is one thing, but the b*tch went overboard. Thats why you just press the "END" button on your fone. You did the right thing being cautious in the situation you were put in.

GOOD JOB!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
That is correct. A cashier's check is essentially cash, as long as it is real! What I may have done in this situation is given them the bike, but kept the title until the funds were available. I can understand the people being upset, but not treating you the way they did. You did the right thing to be cautious and stick with your gut.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Called the bank today, and the lady said that they can stop payment on the cashiers check. Seeing as I do not know these people whatsoever, nor is the member I was going through someone I've seen around here, I'm glad I didn't take the chance on it. I'm probably more trusting than most.
The kid called me the same day (saturday) and said that he'd just bought another bike. I'm guessin he did this in an attempt to piss me off. I told him goodluck with his new bike and he just paused for a few seconds then said...i just thought i'd tell you. I told him to have fun and ride safe and said later. :) Some people are just petty.
To clarify, I had driven from my apartment here at college to my home town (3 hour drive) and they were still at home in virginia when we had the phone conversations. The bike is stored at my parents place in pottstown for the winter. They were to meet me at my parents place but never left home. I would have been loading my bike up with no way of knowing where it was going...title in my hands or not, how was I going to explain that one to insurance?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Put it this way, if someone is honest with you, they aren't going to chew you out for your skepticism. If they chew you out, they have something to hide. Best you let them walk away and find another buyer.

FWIW, always insist on CASH or a MONEY ORDER. If they don't want to do that, there's always another buyer who will.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts