Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

A few months ago I was involved in an accident. My bike was ultimately totaled by the insurance. It's a '12 600RR. It sustained damage to its rear, gas tank, and headlights (console area). Most visual impressions of the bike has been that it is in not too bad of shape, determined with the fairings all removed.

The extent of the damage isn't my concern at the moment. I'm just wondering if anyone can share experiences dealing with selling a salvage titled bike "as is" to salvage or to a party with the technical skill, know-how, and interest in rebuilding the bike (whether to earn a profit or to add to their collection).

I just paid off the bike today so that I can remove the lien and get the title. I am debating (A) restoring the bike on my own, (B) selling the bike to salvage, or (C) selling the bike to someone with intent to part it out or restore it themselves with the purpose of making a profit or keeping it.

I got a quote that I could deal it to salvage in excess of $2,300. Do you think it could be sold to someone on say Craigslist or Facebook street riding groups for more?

Carrie

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I'm confused. Did you buy back the bike after the insurance totaled it?

Because as you described it the insurance totaled the bike, that means they keep the bike and send you a check.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Insurance wrote it off but There is still the chance he can buy it back. He wants to know if it's worth it to buy it back and re sell it for profit to someone even though it will have a salvage title.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Hey there,

A few months ago I was involved in an accident. My bike was ultimately totaled by the insurance. It's a '12 600RR. It sustained damage to its rear, gas tank, and headlights (console area). Most visual impressions of the bike has been that it is in not too bad of shape, determined with the fairings all removed.

The extent of the damage isn't my concern at the moment. I'm just wondering if anyone can share experiences dealing with selling a salvage titled bike "as is" to salvage or to a party with the technical skill, know-how, and interest in rebuilding the bike (whether to earn a profit or to add to their collection).

I just paid off the bike today so that I can remove the lien and get the title. I am debating (A) restoring the bike on my own, (B) selling the bike to salvage, or (C) selling the bike to someone with intent to part it out or restore it themselves with the purpose of making a profit or keeping it.

I got a quote that I could deal it to salvage in excess of $2,300. Do you think it could be sold to someone on say Craigslist or Facebook street riding groups for more?

Carrie
You would have to ask yourself a few things to decide what you will do:

1. Do you mind doing all the work to fix up a Salvage/Totaled bike?
2. Do you have the skill and tools to fix it yourself?
3. Do you care owning a Salvaged bike (for peace of mind)?

Personally, I do not like crashed/totaled bikes. If the insurance paid you enough money to buy a new one, I'd recommend doing that instead. Sell the bike to someone else and use that money for mods on the new one.

I've heard horror stories of crashed bikes having issues even after they've been fixed (electrical, engine issues).

But if you're ok with dealing with all that, or have the patience/skill to put it back to good riding condition, buying it back and fixing it yourself is a good option. I just don't recommend it to people who don't have the mechanical skill to do so.

Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts