Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am thinking about selling my rr for a 2002 VFR. i don't do many track days and used to have a 1990 VFR. i really enjoyed the mid range it has.
what do you guys think. i also like taking long rides and have a girl that likes to ride.
any input would help

i love the rr though. it is so much fun. i am 22 and just got my first ful time job. so i do enjoy the fun factor of the rr .

thanks

·
Registered
330 Posts
i traded in my rr for a vfr in feb... awesome bike and my wife likes to ride with me too... its a day and night different. that 7k rpm transition from 2 valves to 4 is simply awesome. although sometimes i miss my rr but the vfr is the way to go if you like to do some touring. by the way i got a 04 red vfr non abs
here is a pic of my new ride

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hard call. I rode a vfr and they are nice bikes. I just dont think I could give up my rr though. Im looking at buying a zx10 next year. Started saving as soon as I read the first article on it.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Buzz21 said:
i also like taking long rides and have a girl that likes to ride.
Long rides and riding 2-up? Clearly a candidate for the Veefer. If those are your priorities, I think it's a clear choice. I have long admired the VFRs myself. When I was about your age (damn that makes me sound old, I "only" got 12 years on ya), I had a CBR400RR, and I still lusted after the VFR750 because it "did it all" and it did it all well.

P

·
0 Posts
Wow...this post is amazing!! I just picked up a 2002 VFR (nonABS) this evening! I sold the RR, but I really replaced it with a 2003 ZX6R (636) for the track. I want to get back into street riding/touring so I thought the perfect bike would be the VFR!! I just got in (11:00PM local time) from riding and then cleaning my new to me bike!! I really am enjoying it right now!! Get to ride it for about 1.5 hours to Sears Point tomorrow for the races!! :bounce:

H

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
toro168,

do you notice a huge difference with the added weight. i know it is not a race bike but a track day or two would be nice on it. i have done one on my 1990 VFR and i was pretty good. hey if freddy spencer can ride it for his race school i should be able to do a track day or two on it right?

·
Registered
330 Posts
buzz21,

not too big of a difference on the weight, i felt a lot more confidence taking turns because of the heavier weight, and track day is definetely NOT out of the question. a buddy of mine did track days on his 03 vfr all the time. the only thing that you have to get use to is the transition at 6.5 -7k rpm when the other 2 valves kicks in, but once you get used to the change it is awesome when that extra power kicks in... it is VTEC baby VTEC, if you tell a ricer it has a VTEC engine in it, they will probably **** in their pants. :bounce:

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I have 2 initial thoughts:

1. When you hit an age & stage of life that you find a sportbike isn't the best fit for your motorcycling ambitions then you should take some action to resolve it. I was about to sell my RR also but chose to keep it for track duty and occasional street riding but supplement it with a KLR650 (coming soon) for commuting and occasional off road fun.

2. the fact that toro168 and pastbob have already sold their RR's and bought VFR's but are still here at this website makes me feel good. You guys should stay around as long as you like.

Ride what you like and you'll always like your rides.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys

i appreciate your opinions and support i will let you know what hapens.

·
Registered
647 Posts
56cbr600rr said:
pastbob, how you like the 636, i pick mine up tomorrow?
+1 Thats what I am thinking about getting my wife. She likes the feel of them from sitting on it.

G

·
0 Posts
I have been thinking about a vfr to complement the RC here too, mainly because my wife wants to go riding (as a passenger) and I want something for distance and such.

My main beef with the VFR is that there are no good pipes for it, and there is very little underseat storage. But they look freakin sweet (better than any supersport) if you remove the passenger pegs, mirrors, reflectors/mudflap and grap rails. Course then what's the point.

Honestly I am considering a 929 at the same time. Because they are comfortable and get good tank range. They have lots of underseat storage too. I don't know how they are for passenger comfort though...

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
another thing is insurance thoug. my 2003 rr was cheaper to ensure than my 1990 VFR750 so i am afraid after 750 is when the price makes a big jum. i am with state farm. but will check on monday the difference

·
Registered
330 Posts
JetBlast10 said:
2. the fact that toro168 and pastbob have already sold their RR's and bought VFR's but are still here at this website makes me feel good. You guys should stay around as long as you like.
Jet,

Man this site is so addictive and everyone is so friendly and flames are kept to a minimum, i dont' have to heart to leave. By far this site kicks a lot of other sites ass.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Buzz21 said:
another thing is insurance thoug. my 2003 rr was cheaper to ensure than my 1990 VFR750 so i am afraid after 750 is when the price makes a big jum. i am with state farm. but will check on monday the difference
my insurance went up about 80 bucks for every six months.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I say DON'T DO IT!!! The suffering is worth it. I'm 38 and all of my bikes make my knees hurt like hell but when I hit the twisties it all goes away. BTW I rode over 18000 miles last year and about 3500 so far this year.

That said, Get what you want and ride it like you stole it. :twisted:

P.S. Had an 03 VFR and traded for the DUC and haven't regretted it once.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mikesduc,
what didn't you like about the VFR?
if i could aford both it would be perfect but since i can't i am torn...

P

·
0 Posts
toro168 said:
JetBlast10 said:
Jet,

Man this site is so addictive and everyone is so friendly and flames are kept to a minimum, i dont' have to heart to leave. By far this site kicks a lot of other sites ass.

I totally agree with toro168 on this one...I have this site set up as my "Home" on Internet Explorer...people around here are very cool...hope that doesn't change even though some of us change bikes! ;-)

H

PS...next weekend 5/8 and 5/9 will be my first shot on the 636 at the track...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts