Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the current owner of a 00 r6. I am seriously thinking of selling it in march and doing 1 of 4 options.
1. Buying a 02 or 03 954 (most likely)
2. Buying a 03 600rr
3. Buying a 03 r6
4. Getting a 02 r1

I have always wanted the 954 so that is most likely what I will do but I wanted to know how you thought the 954 and 600rr compared to the r6. The r6 handles great, has a great ride, and is pretty darn fast. I have never rode a honda rocket but of the 3 bikes I have owned this is the first that is not a honda. I wanted to try something different and have thoroghly enjoyed it. I definatly do not want to step down in performance, which I think none of the options I have listed does such. What are your opinions?

L

·
0 Posts
sell the r6 and put a downpayment on the rr. your monthly payments will be pretty low.

·
Registered
584 Posts
That is always a possibility, but if you are a cash only kind of guy, the 954 is a nice bike. A friend of mine has one and I have ridden it a time or two and it is definately no slouch. I could tell a difference in handling since I have owned pretty much nothing but 600's from 94 till now but at the same time, I am sure with practice and refining of your technique, you will find your self entering corners as fast and exiting even faster than on your R6. Good luck man.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I don't know if you should get the 02 because they still have carborators, 03's have fuel injection which is a lot better. In my opinion 2003 954rr is the best on your list, becaue the 03 600rr would go second on the list.

·
Please Excuse me, I've been drinking again.
4,452 Posts
You'll love the 954, I had one, and I loved it, I miss it a lot. If I could pick up another bike for the street, it'd probably be my old 954

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
kenezzite is right, go for the 03 954. the RR is badass, but the 954 is the choice i would love to go for. if i could, i would take the 954 right now. go for it, man!! good luck!!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I would go with the 03 954 if I were you. That is from the list that you gave.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Raimey7 said:
I would go with the 03 954 if I were you. That is from the list that you gave.
I would go with that too. Although I find it hard to have a clean 954 if money is an issue. If it isn't, why not just opt for the 1000RR if you wanted to step up from the 6's? Just be patient as the winter is coming and people tend to want to get rid of bikes and I'm sure the 1000RR will be only slightly more. I'm sure there are people wanting to get rid of their 1000s after finding it's too much power for them.

H

·
0 Posts
go with the 954... sweet bike...

where are you located... if you are near jersey... i might know someone that would be interested in that bike... let me know...

·
Registered
74 Posts
kenezzite said:
I don't know if you should get the 02 because they still have carborators, 03's have fuel injection which is a lot better. In my opinion 2003 954rr is the best on your list, becaue the 03 600rr would go second on the list.
The 900's have had FI since the intro of the 929 in 2000 btw, no carbs on the 02!!

I just made the switch from the 600rr to a 954. There is a noticable difference in handling... corners are less confident, but then again I've only put 600 miles on the bike so far and confidence is growing every day. But the front end still just dosen't seem quite as stable. The 600 is like a rock.

The power difference is just stupid. It's taken a few days to get used to it. The 954 front end is verylight out of corners... Scotts stabilizer will be the number one mod to this bike. First, second, and third gear are way too easy to blow through on one wheel.

If you like to carve or do track days more than you like to do wheelies.... get the 600rr. Otherwise the 954 is freekin incredible.

Oh yeah... the 954 is much more comfortable as a daily driver. Clip-ons are probably an inch and a half higher and the seat is a little better, but not by much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought the 02 was fuel injected. Thats one reason I was getting rid of the 6. Cash is a major issue. I figure if I can get $4300 for it, put a couple of grand with it I could get an 02 954. I have always loved those bikes. The 6 is my first rocket so I figured the 954 was a bit much to start out on. The 6 is no slouch but I am starting to get used to the power. It will get the tire off the ground without trying. I mainly ride as a daily commute to work 70 miles roundtrip and an ocasional joy ride. Most of the time I take the long way home :smile: so the miles are racking up too. I dont stunt, race, or go to the track just joy ride.If my wife knew I was talking about selling it she would kill me. Thanks for all the input. No one has recommended another 6 or an r1 :eek:. I knew I would get honda preference on the honda site just as I get yamaha prefference on the r6 forum. The 2 hondas I owned I never had a single problem, the 6 has 14k on it know and know problems with it either.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I really like Yamaha for there 6, and the R1 the 02 on up R1 is awesome really really awesome!!!! deff look at it!!!!

Tim

·
Registered
419 Posts
well you should get the bike that you first want to get. but if you are going to stay in the 600 class by far get the 600rr since it is faster than the r6 (well i haven't lost to any r6 yet) :bounce:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmm, I thought the r6 was faster than the rr :twisted: . I think I am going to try and find me a 954 next year. All the 600 class bike are very close in performance. The only bike I have ever raced is my brother in laws zx6 that has had $4k worth of work done to it. Motor bored, gears shortened, exhaust, lowered and god knows what else. We were dead even till about 100 then he started pulling from me. I wasnt that impressed considering mine is stock except a pipe and jetted.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
I traded a guy my 600rr for his 954 for a ride. To tell you hte truth I wasn't happy with the 954. When he got off my bike he was so happy. He is looking into getting a 600RR and is a really good friend and rider and someone I trusted.
The but seat positionon the 954 isn't really agressive. U sit up more and it felt weird having my feet so close to teh ground and not high like the 600rr.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts