• Maybe, with conditions

Votes: 26 55.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Getting ready to sell my bike. I'm a little iffy on lettin' someone I don't know hop on my baby and ride off. What have you guys done in the past? Do you even let people test ride? Deposit? What should I do?

·
Administrator
51,152 Posts
Man learn from people's mistakes NO TEST RIDES what so ever
deposit , full price in cash does not matter NO TEST RIDES

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ask for something of equal or greater value as collateral and have a written agreement that not returning with or wrecking the bike means you keep that item.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would NEVER buy a used bike without a test ride. Doesnt matter what you have done, how much care and love you put into it. It's a USED bike. And I would NEVER show up with $6/7k whatever amount of cash. As the saying goes, buyer beware. How am I, a buyer, to know that it's a scam and you're there waiting with some 'friends' and no bike whatsoever?

that being said, here's what i would do: put something in writing; write down their driver's license #, address, or even better, make a copy of it; a deposit of some amount; have them leave their car at your house; if you have another bike available, follow them; etc.

·
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD c
27,367 Posts
keep their kidney as a deposit... anything less aint worth it!

or cash....

·
Registered
41 Posts
When I bought my R1 the guy let me test ride it. I NEVER allow this when I sell them. What are you gonna do if he brings it back wrecked...kick his ass?? call the cops?? Theyre not gonna do anything. Youd have to try and sue the guy and if he has nothing for you to take...guess what?? You just wasted a wad of cash on a lawyer and your bike is still trashed....
Dont do it guys!!

·
Professional smart @ss
2,345 Posts
for the buyer to feel safe with cash in hand, meet up in a public place so you dont worry about getting jumped or have friends with you. for seller, request cash in hand. not check, not money order, not drivers license, CASH

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Yeah no test ride! Because for one you don't know their experience level. Also, there's a reason its called an accident.........because it can happen any time.

·
Hittin The Twisties On My RC 51
1,196 Posts
I've done it before but I had the money in hand while they were out on the ride and my backup was with me too, just in case. The most important thing is to try and read the person before you do anything. If something does not feel right, walk away.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I shoulda just made this a poll. I agree with both sides of this, I don't want anyone trashin my bike and leavin me high and dry but at the same time I wouldn't buy a used bike without riding it either. I guess I'll just make sure the ad states you must have money in hand to test ride.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
:director:HELL NAW!!!!:bitch_ple

I bought my 1st bike without test riding it and I loved it anyway. If they wanna feel what it's like just put it up on a rear stand and let the buyer sit on it to see if he/she is comftable.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Bought my track bike. Guy let me test ride around the neighborhood. Had cash in hand. If I did wreck the bike, I would have felt like a moron but I still would have bought it. I guess it's a trust factor. You will know when you meet the person if they are trustworthy of a ride. Going to be hard to find someone to purchase a used bike without a ride. JMO. T

·
Registered
277 Posts
If you are gonna do a test ride.. then have them sign something saying it is a test ride and they are responsible.. and hold their cash for the FULL price you are asking...

·
C.F.A. member **New Joyzeeeeeee Racer YAAAA BOY
1,726 Posts
Get the cash in hand and let them take the bike out for a ride and they can sign the title after the test ride when they decide they like it.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts