Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought a crash job thinking I got a good deal but now I'm not so sure.

The block is cracked where the alternator cover bolts up. Looked as though someone tried to epoxy it but didn't do a good enough job so there was a little seepage.

I took the alternator cover off , cleaned the area and resealed it with Honda Bond. I let it sit for 24hrs, added oil started it up and now the leak is worse???

Anyone know what alternatives I have other than replacing the motor?

Are there shops that can weld this damage?

Any advice welcome.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
If I were you I would find a really good machine shop that can do a real clean aluminum weld. If the crack is on the head (just below the valve cover like you say) then you have oil pressure to maintain and dont want any leaks. Also, you probably want it to look good so you dont want someone botchin it up with some haggard looking weld job.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I edited the original post because I said the cracks were located where the valve cover bolts up. They are actually where the Alternator cover bolts up. Big difference.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
My room mate just had this spot welded up on his R1 but did it at a shady bike shop. No matter where the crack is a good machinist should be able to take care of it. Just be careful where you have the work done and dont cheap out ...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts