Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does someone not have a title for a bike? I found a 08 1KRR on craigslist but the guy says there is no title. I don't understand why unless it is stolen

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
How does someone not have a title for a bike? I found a 08 1KRR on craigslist but the guy says there is no title. I don't understand why unless it is stolen
It may not be stolen. He probably hasn't paid it off yet. That's how mine was when I bought it. The guy said he can't afford payments on it anymore so my credit union agreed to give him the money so long as the dealer sends them the title. Worked out fine. But don't know about your case.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
he has the asking price set at $4500 and talks about using it for the track so I can't imagine he still owes money on it.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
Might be a salvage bike

·
Registered
349 Posts
The OP should probably be asking the dude on Craig's List this question instead of having us guess at it. If the seller can't provide a legitimate answer to why there's no title, would anyone even bother talking to the guy anymore??

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Might be a salvage bike
Wouldn't the title say "salvage" on it or something like that? He says he "does not have the title".

How can you "not have it"?

maybe I'm just over thinking it but I've seen a couple of ads that have said the same thing.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The OP should probably be asking the dude on Craig's List this question instead of having us guess at it. If the seller can't provide a legitimate answer to why there's no title, would anyone even bother talking to the guy anymore??
You're probably right but I don't care why he doesn't have the title. I just can't image having any kind of legitimate reason for not having one. That's why I am asking here. What is a legitimate reason?

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
Wouldn't the title say "salvage" on it or something like that? He says he "does not have the title".

How can you "not have it"?

maybe I'm just over thinking it but I've seen a couple of ads that have said the same thing.
It all depends on the state where the bike was declared salvage
FL for example does not issue such titles

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It all depends on the state where the bike was declared salvage
FL for example does not issue such titles
Ok, thanks. That is something I did not know. I'll have to check my state laws then. Thanks Moe

D

·
0 Posts
Either it's stolen, or he bought a second frame that has no title...which would probably be stolen as well. If it doesn't have a title, I wouldn't even think of buying it, unless it's a stock race bike like what Honda does with some 600rr's.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
There could be so many reasons that are legit and it could also be stolen.
No need to guess about the stolen just get the vin and run it at the police station.

1. In my riding days there were maybe two times i had a bike with no title meaning i did not have it with me. One was a bike that i owned flat out but was racing CCS with and i crashed it many times. I bought a replacement frame from the manifacturer unstamped so that had no vin # on it. To keep the title with it during a sale i should have kept the original mangled frame and sold the bike with both, but i didnt i sold it to another racing friend with just a bill of sale.
2. 2nd time i had one with no title was bike i bought at the auction with a COD title and i rebuilt it for track use but never even bothered keeping a copy of the title .
3. Like some of the guys said before some of the reasons could be the bank still has a lein on it but in that case you better know who you are buying from very well because then they are selling possesion of the bike not the actual bike because in reality the bank owns the bike and can take it from you anytime.
4. You can still legitimately take over a friends payments but it all has to stay in their name but thats a big risk..

just do your homework on the bike you are looking at on craiglist andd you will be ok dont just assume.

·
Registered
142 Posts
To "not have a title" could mean many things. Like someone said earlier, you need to find out WHY he doesn't have a title. Usually sellers are pretty clear if a bank is holding the title as a leinholder while they are making payments. To just say, "I have no title" is pretty BS. Especially for a 2008. The only exception I can think of is if you convert a street bike for the track, then there is no need to maintain a title record unless you plan to sell it to someone who may want to convert it back to street legal. Since the asking price is only 4500, My gut says stay away from it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Recieved an e-mail response saying he bought it from a friend who bought it from someone else with 127mi on it off of Craigslist. Never been crashed. Says 1 option is to get a new frame, other is to just throw some plates on it from another bike.

BTW...waiting on a response about the VIN#.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I saw the same ad and emailed the guy right away asking for info, have not heard back. I know somethings up with the bike for sure, even so I also started looking for 1000rr frames with titles with no luck.

I'm about 2 hours from there but if the guy gets back to me I'm going to look.

What part of MI are you from decaldjr?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Recieved an e-mail response saying he bought it from a friend who bought it from someone else with 127mi on it off of Craigslist. Never been crashed. Says 1 option is to get a new frame, other is to just throw some plates on it from another bike.

BTW...waiting on a response about the VIN#.
lmao that sounds fishy!!!

just remember even if its not stolen you run the risk of anyone pulling up to your front door with a cop and their title in hand and saying give me my bike back regardless of bill of sale.

throw some plates from another bike is just asking to get locked up.

RUN THE VIN

good luck with the purchase, the fact that its a 08 in this situation is what raises the red flag.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lmao that sounds fishy!!!

just remember even if its not stolen you run the risk of anyone pulling up to your front door with a cop and their title in hand and saying give me my bike back regardless of bill of sale.

throw some plates from another bike is just asking to get locked up.

RUN THE VIN

good luck with the purchase, the fact that its a 08 in this situation is what raises the red flag.
Thanks for the help :wave:. I learned something new today.

I don't want to buy it. I just really curious why someone wouldn't have a title for what is probably a 6 month old bike.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts