1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to setup and take off bike stands
(both front and rear)
by myself ?

Since i no longer have a roommate to help..
i rely on my neighbors to help to right now..
is there a safe way to setup and take off bike stands ?
:director:

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Yes. When you are putting the stands on, with the kickstand down put the rear stand on first, this will stabilize the bike as you put the front on.

When taking them off, start with the front, then the rear, also have your kickstand down for this part.

I usually do the first/last part of lifting the rear stand with my foot while holding the tail of the bike, this way I can make sure it's going to lean towards the kickstand side, and steady it throughout.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
What kind of stands do you have?

I have Vortex stands, and they feature a lever/handle that can be one of two places, making it easier to lift by hand or foot, depending on which position you use. Also it's nice for tight spaces.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yes. When you are putting the stands on, with the kickstand down put the rear stand on first, this will stabilize the bike as you put the front on.

When taking them off, start with the front, then the rear, also have your kickstand down for this part.

I usually do the first/last part of lifting the rear stand with my foot while holding the tail of the bike, this way I can make sure it's going to lean towards the kickstand side, and steady it throughout.
good input.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
x1000000 to what everyone has said so far- i hold the strap on the pass seat, if you have a cowl then use your foot

·
Registered
127 Posts
I do this all the time, if I ever have trouble I put a small block under the kickstand to make the bike more upright while I put the rear stand on. Then the front is cake.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I don't use the kickstand. Just dismount the bike, and hold it upright while you walk to the back. It is well balanced, and is very light. After you get the back on, the front is easy.

To get it off, I hold the tail with one hand and pick up the stand with the other. I have never had any issues like that. After you try it, you will see it isn't hard.

·
Registered
594 Posts
i lift up the bike from the rear. i have spools and a spools stand. i hook the left side spool and line up the other side. then i slowly push the stand down with my left hand and holding on to the seat with my right to straighten out the bike, then readjust the right side so it can fall into place. just try to keep the weight on the left side throughout this process as a backup. the kickstand will save it.

practice makes perfect. have a buddy with you to spot you while you do this the first few times. after that its cake.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I always use a piece of wood to slide under the kickstand to level the bike, hold the strap on the rear seat, then grab the rear stand and slide it onto the spools, having the bike level makes it easier to get it on the rear stand. and to get it off the rear stand you can lean it back onto the block of wood if you fear leaning it over onto the kickstand. Anyway, thats the way i do it.

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
All good answers here. Usually I just line up the rear stand a little before putting it on. That way I'm not kicking the rear stand around as I'm trying to hold the bike and get things lined up.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I just hold the bike with my left hand on the rear seat. It can almost stand there by itself. Why use your foot? lol. Seems kinda lazy. Bend your ass over and grab the handle!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Putting the bike on the rear stand was not a issue for me, I just did what everyone else on here said. Balance the bike with one hand then reach down and grab handle and youre done.

Getting the bike off the stand made me nervous though. I was afraid it would tip over opposite side of the kickstand.So I tired another way.(may not work for shorter riders)

To take the bike off the rearstand I sit on the bike while its still on the rearstand. Then I place the heel of my left foot on the stands wheels so it can not move forward. Then I lunge the bike forward and off the stand, modulating the speed it comes off the stand with the front brake. Bike comes off the stand and I am left sitting on the bike.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Putting the bike on the rear stand was not a issue for me, I just did what everyone else on here said. Balance the bike with one hand then reach down and grab handle and youre done.

Getting the bike off the stand made me nervous though. I was afraid it would tip over opposite side of the kickstand.So I tired another way.(may not work for shorter riders)

To take the bike off the rearstand I sit on the bike while its still on the rearstand. Then I place the heel of my left foot on the stands wheels so it can not move forward. Then I lunge the bike forward and off the stand, modulating the speed it comes off the stand with the front brake. Bike comes off the stand and I am left sitting on the bike.
LMAO! Guess thats a safe bet right there. Man coming down I just drop the kick stand, knock it off the rear stand while slightly leaning it left.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts